Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Potential interference on the GPS Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
While this is not directly hunting related, I'm wondering why there is not outcry in the US about potential interference in the US with the Global Positioning System.

Most of us use GPS technology in some way shape or form in our daily lives in this country. From personal GPS devices for navigation, to it being the navigation system of choice by many airlines; to sending emergency locator information to the GPS constellation; locating criminals; to cell phones using the technology, and many, many other devices and uses.

The USAF's multi-billion dollar GPS constellation which supports navigation worldwide, the private industry producing units using GPS technology, and the millions of individuals who have purchased these devices are all in jeopardy of having their devices become useless in the US.

LightSquared company has the radio frequency right next to the GPS's frequency. GPS uses extremely low powered transmitters to send positioning information to ground receivers. LightSquared intends to use high powered transmitters on the ground in the US to enable a national broad-band system. There will be feed-over into the GPS that will overpower and disable the GPS users' devices.

The FCC is conducting investigations into potential interference. If they approve even a lesser powered LightSquared system, it will still cause serious problems. One thing the FCC is looking at is a modification of all those devices to let them work. This would cost us more millions, perhaps billions to use our systems, and I believe many of our devices could not be modified, causing us to buy something new.

The public and private industry needs to be getting Very vocal NOW, before FCC decides on something we can't live with.

Mike

Posts: 100 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA | Registered: 10 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Because 90% of U.S. citizens haven't heard about this, and 99% don't understand the technical issues.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike1:
While this is not directly hunting related, I'm wondering why there is not outcry in the US about potential interference in the US with the Global Positioning System.

Most of us use GPS technology in some way shape or form in our daily lives in this country. From personal GPS devices for navigation, to it being the navigation system of choice by many airlines; to sending emergency locator information to the GPS constellation; locating criminals; to cell phones using the technology, and many, many other devices and uses.

There is a more mundane source of interference, truck thieves who don't want the truck to report its location; they have custom-made jammers for the purpose. There was supposedly some experimentation at Newark centered on GPS landings, problems with the readings were traced to trucks on the freeway.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought that the GPS system was developed for use by the military and civilian use was just a spin off. I daresay the military will not let some outfit interfer with their system.
Does this mean that all the hunters that go to the woods loaded with their thingies are gonna have to learn how to read a compass and a topo map?

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote