Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beaver Problem Login/Join 
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beavers moved onto my property a number of years ago raising the water level so half my acres are now not tillable. They are VERY protected by the PA game commission. So I called in the Wildlife Conservation Officers to do something about them. They made a feeble try installing some 'exclusion devices.' That didn't stop the beavers from clogging them up in only a few days.

I enlisted 2 skilled beaver trappers to trap them during the trapping season, Dec 26th through March 31st. They seemed to only catch the young, dumb ones.

Finally, the state deemed them a nuisance. I now have the right (in writing) to kill them on my own property by any means I see fit, at any time of the year. The problem is I have not been able to get close to the water because of all the <3" saplings growing yards thick along the water's edge. I can't get close with a farm tractor or even a track machine without getting stuck.

My only hope is to wait for a good, hard freeze that lasts long enough to support my CTL with 6' brush buster this winter before snow blankets the area and insulates the soft ground. I'm told that this will be a never ending fight as even if every one is killed, more will eventually move in from the big Army Corps of Engineers dam a few miles away down stream.

Posts: 30 | Location: Sandy Lake, PA | Registered: 27 October 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
... and I thought I had a problem. Good luck sandy.

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2356 | Location: Moscow | Registered: 07 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No vashper, I'm not going to make him my best friend, and killing him with nicotine is too slow, and to good for the bastard.

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a proven method whereby you drain the ponds with pipes and the beavers can't figure it out. Look it up on line. However, it isn't a 5 minute fix.

You can catch and kill every beaver in the world with conibear traps. You will have to set it either in a hole you've made in the dam or with bait in the water. You can't set it on dry land unless you've POSITIVE that dogs or cats are not in the area. It is a killer and will kill a dog or cat just as quickly as a beaver, or, for that matter, break your arm if you get careless. Once you have seen one snap, that is less likely to happen.

You can speed up the process by shooting them with #4 buckshot, assuming it is legal to shoot in your area.

I don't know anything about Penn game laws, but if you've got beavers, you won't be the only one, and I suspect they will change to reflect how destructive the little bastards are.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Beaver Baffle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTSJ3jyu5oo

We use them at the moose camp to stop them from flooding our access roads. Otherwise we leave them alone.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote