New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting Dogs Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of MMM
posted
Well I have never actually shot a dog, although I have threatened to do so several times. I do not like to think about having to do it. I live in a secluded area half a mile off the paved road. Yesterday I had the day off, sitting in my study just hanging out. I heard my three dogs raising hell outside so I ran out and there, in my driveway, was a pack of at least 9 dogs. There were a couple of Rottweiler mixes and others on down to a couple of lap dogs. Not one of them had a collar. There was fixing to be one hell of a fight. I yelled and ran out there with a heavy walking stick and was able to run them off. Got my .22 magnum and shotgun ready but didn't get a shot. I have daughters 4 and 8 yrs old who love to run around outside. Last fall my wife was out alone taking pictures on one of our ponds when she saw some dogs, she tried to hurry back to the UTV and she fell and broke her ankle, she is just getting over that. I'm thinking it's time for a little SSS. Then in this morning's news I see that a 50-yr old man in nearby Pontotoc, MS was killed by three pit bulls yesterday. I bet the next few weeks are going to be rough on stray dogs here in north Mississippi.

Posts: 172 | Location: north MS | Registered: 28 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't like it. I've done it and even though the dog(s) had it coming, I felt bad about it.
I would worry about your young'uns but I truly doubt that a grown person would have little to fear from feral dogs.
You used to see a lot more feral dogs in north MS than you do now. I guess the coyotes are good for something.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted Hide Post
A few years back I killed a couple of (I think) wild dogs for a neighbor that had lost a calf to them. Didn't feel very good about shooting dogs but it had to be done. Don't guess it's any different than shooting coyotes when they get to that point.

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, grown adults do have much to fear from feral dogs, and even so-called "pet" dogs running in packs. And this problem is not limited to rural areas. I personally know of cases where packs of dogs in Los Angeles have attacked people, killing both children and adults. A four year old girl torn apart by three pit bulls is a sight one does not forget.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You and Momma both ought not be outdoors w/o a firearm ON YOUR PERSON!
I'd keep something handy by each door too. Unloaded and away from the little ones...doesn't take long to load a semi-auto these days!

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MMM
posted Hide Post
RVL, I am thinking you are right. We are taking steps in that direction!

One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Years back I was deer hunting in mississippi and watched a little basket buck go by. About 20 minutes later a pack of dogs w/o any collar was following the exact trail of the buck. No collars I dropped two of them.

Too many feral dogs that people drop off in the country may affect the fawn population.

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great idea! Don't step out the door unless you're packing. Might even want to outfit the kids in shoulder holsters so's they can carry a .357 without the muzzle dragging the ground.

I'm 72 and have trod the woods of TN and MS for a great part of those years. I've NEVER seen a feral dog or coyote or bear or hog that wasn't finding another gear as he was getting out of Dodge. I hate to think of how many pleasant experiences I would have missed if I had to slink through the woods in mortal fear for my life.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MMM
posted Hide Post
Well, sir, to each his own, I don't have as much experience as you do, but I have also spent a fair amount of time roaming around the woods and fields, almost always unarmed unless I was actively hunting. I would say there is a difference between slinking through the woods in mortal fear of my life, vs. being armed and prepared for what may befall you. My place at home is only 150 acres, but we're half a mile off the paved roads, and there are some thick woods and deep draws between my house and the edges of the place. A lot of it is too steep for my UTV, so it's all on foot. If I am out there, or on the other side of the 10-acre pond, then I'm a long way from the house and safety, and nobody's gonna hear me yelling. With a single animal, yes, it will probably avoid contact, but with a pack of dogs, who knows? Now that I am aware that such a pack of dogs exists in my area and could show up at any time, it would seem prudent to me to take some precautions. I won't hang .357s on the girls just yet.

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Used to set up on a hill over my first wife's uncle's pasture and shoot dogs that came in to run his sheep.
There were two dogs, beautuful German Shepards harassing my then wife and oldest daughter, age two in the back yard. The dogs had to jump two fences to get there. The first time the dogs did it I ran them off and walked to the owners front door and was rebuffed rudely. Then I contacted the animal control officer with no success.
After I shot the animals with the wrist rocket I never saw them again. It's hard to miss at 20 feet.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do not ever hesitate, even if they are wearing collars.

Posts: 1382 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 10 November 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I love dogs, but would not hesitate to shoot one if they threatened me or mine.

If confronted by a pack, I would shoot the one nearest me and hope the rest fell upon their injured pack member.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two little kids and packs of dogs running around ? That's a disaster in the making. There doesn't seem to be a feral dog problem here anymore since the coyotes have moved in. It had been the practice of dog owners , when tired of the dogs, to drive out to the country and abandon the dogs.

One of Us
Picture of wwjmbd
posted Hide Post
I can understand your concern fully and obviously your familys safety should come first. Still I would not take killing a dog lightly, that is something that could bother you for a long time if you are a dog lover like I am. If you dont like dogs and have exahsted every resonable effort to keep the dogs off your property and it hasent worked then it should be open season on them.

I had one always digging holes in my back yard and for the longest time I couldent get a hold of him to kick his ass, but finally one day I caught a hand full of hide in one hand between his shoulder blades, picked him up in the air and took him to my tool box in the garage, then I grabbed him by the tail with my left hand picking his hind end off the ground (while he fought to get away frivoulusly) picked up a wire brush with my right and proceded to scrub his arse with the wire brush until I was convinced he would not be in any hurry to come visit my yard again (only took a couple seconds) and then released him, he took off like a lightning bolt with his tail between his legs and has never came back.

Happy hunting.

Posts: 159 | Location: New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MMM
posted Hide Post
Well, that's one solution! Smiler Bet it wasn't a rottweiler, though, was it? Eeker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My advice is you call the Sheriff's office and ask to see a deputy. If he comes explain the situation and he will advise of your rights as property owner. If you know who they belong to advise him and he may or may not talk to them. Then you should prepare yourself for the more than likely return of the dogs. The only firearm I would use would be 12 gauge with 00 buck. You do not want a wounded dog returning home. As a dog owner you understand. Protect your family.

Posts: 173 | Location: Texas | Registered: 01 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shoot- Shovel - Shut Up diggin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend in Nebraska used to shoot dogs that attacked a friends sheep herd. A 1917 with full moon clips.

Said it bothered him.
Till they circled him once.
Say hi if you read this Jim.......

Posts: 435 | Location: South Central PA | Registered: 11 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I have shot numerous dogs trespassing and harassing livestock. Frankly, the SSS is good but also just putting the carcass near the road works well as long as you don't have a huge exit wound. People assume it was hit by a car as free roaming dogs are apt to do.

Posts: 5700 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
I do not like to do it but when they are caught on our place they are shot----this one was chasing a couple of does. Keep them on your property or they will not come home.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems folks had a problem differing between feral dogs and un-trained, beligerant house pets that are allowed to run free.
Notice that dog that BH shot had a collar on.

Aim for the exit hole

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
Not me saw collar in the USO SN3 ---- let him get up to about 200yds where I put him down.

Blow up the pic and you can see where this dog was very unkempt---had 2 of his buddies with him a Pit Bull looking dog and a Boxer mix noses to the ground. It was the Boxer’s Lucky Day because he got away. Tough to hit dogs running full speed at 600 to 800yds before he got into the brush.

Here is a pic of what they were chasing --- this was taken the next weekend. These are my girls that I have been watching for several years.

Notice the ground under Fido then look at the area near the right bottom of the girls (a road by the yucca) is where fido was the week before. After the buzzards that like to sit on the power lines the collar was all that was left. Hogs or Coyotes drug off the ribcage and head. Could care less if it a prize Walker or a Feral any dogs caught that far into our place get shot period end of story flame. The State and Federal Biologists have both been crystal clear about dogs running deer.

One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
This give a little better shot of the area---see if you can find my girls in this pic???? The one below that one is a pig that came out at the top left of the area in the pic and tried to make it across the power line cut out. The Warp 7 is awfully tough on varmits of any size.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Have had to kill dogs on more than one occasion.

Do not hesitate to shoot if threatened-- esp., if confronted by a pack.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Something tells me most of these "packs of wild dogs" are local pets that got loose and do what dogs do. One would be better of shooting the owners.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup!

Aim for the exit hole

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my area of Colorado if a dog is running loose, it's considered feral, and a threat to wildlife. I've actually been bitched out by a Deputy for not killing one. I've also been cornered by a pack of dogs. These were someone's pets, but in a pack, instinct and pack mentality take over. Don't presume these sort of packs are harmless. They are dangerous and will kill.

Be careful out there! George

Posts: 135 | Location: Colorado Mtns. | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I live out in the countryside. It seems that the no nuts city types (no nuts because they'd rather someone else do their dirty work for them, reminds me of people who love to eat steak but don't like animals being killed) are always dumping their dogs out in our general area, usually pregnant bitches. I love dogs, we've adopted a few of the drop offs, but I'll shoot one in a NY second if they appear threatening or are injured. I don't like it, but it's not my choice, it was the previous owners. A dog or pack of dog threatening my kids or livestock?, not going to happen, or, at least, not for long.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I killed two pit bulls that were running loose in my kneck of the woods.....I didn't like doing it but it was the right thing to do.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
always be ready to kill or drive them off anytime kids are involved.

on a humorous note, I had just moved into a rental out in the sticks when I was going to school. The first couple nights the dogs from do town the hill came up and go into the garbage can in the carport. The third time I was ready, I have a single shot 37mm flare gun and at the time it was easy to get ammo that is a lot like a "flash bang" cops use to stun. I used the stuff for bird control on a family orchard. All I had to do was fire that thing into the carport when the dogs were after the garbage can, carport was enclosed on three sides and had a concrete floor. From just inside the front door I a not sure I have ever laughed so hard, all three dogs left that carport at warp speed, and I watched them cross the front yard, and to this day, I swear not a single foot ever hit the ground.

If I have any doubts about a dog, they do not get much benefit of the doubt unless I know who they belong to.

Posts: 484 | Location: SLC, UT | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote