New
Find
Notify
Tools

Here comes Irma Login/Join 
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Orlando closes Saturday 5 PM

Posts: 11971 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like we are about to get f'ed up.

Posts: 11971 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
Looks like we are about to get f'ed up.

It's going to be nasty and people don't realize that wind speed is not linear.

100 mile hurricane wind in 10x more destructive than 75 mile winds. 180 mile wind is like 1600x more destructive than 75 mile wind.

Time to hunker down.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
For a while, it looked like the projected path would pass east of us along the Atlantic coast. Big sigh of relief.. now it looks like we are pretty much in the direct path. Oh well, time to hunker down and hope for the best. At least we have 2 more days to prepare. coffee

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13159 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck guys/gals! Stay safe. Prayers going out for you guys.

Skip Nantz

Posts: 538 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Branon rode it out in his reinforced concrete shelter. Should be no problem for ARers. GOOD LUCK!

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A couple of days ago, they delivered the Taj Majal of mobile homes to my ranch. It is 6 miles off the Gulf. I have all sorts of deliveries and services scheduled for next week. Furniture, wifi, satellite dish, etc. Now this damn thing turns to the west. The entire county is under mandatory evacuation. After all that money and all that work, it looks like I will not be able to hunt openings week of bow season at the ranch. I also worry that all of my feeders will be blown down.

What a week. This sucks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
A couple of days ago, they delivered the Taj Majal of mobile homes to my ranch. It is 6 miles off the Gulf. I have all sorts of deliveries and services scheduled for next week. Furniture, wifi, satellite dish, etc. Now this damn thing turns to the west. The entire county is under mandatory evacuation. After all that money and all that work, it looks like I will not be able to hunt openings week of bow season at the ranch. I also worry that all of my feeders will be blown down.

What a week. This sucks.

Will be ugly

But better the hunting mobile home than the primary house.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True

one of us
posted Hide Post
Call your insurance agent QUICK.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is turning into the insurance nightmare storm.

Collier county / Naples is 4 ft over sea level - surge is expected to be 12 feet.

I am giving it the proper respect it deserves - I took in everything from my patio. I have webers and treager grills in the living room and pool bathroom.

I also got a generator.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am giving it the proper respect it deserves - I took in everything from my patio. I have webers and treager grills in the living room and pool bathroom.

I also got a generator.

patriot tu2

I dunno how a brisket will taste qued with palm fronds, but I'd try it outside.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
My son took off for Georgia yesterday to get the baby + bring him back to Texas. I told him to wait + not try to deal with the roads + possible gas shortages but he gets his hard head from his mother (I think). Anyway,no answers to my calls.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope everyone in Florida stays safe. I was blessed to have missed riding out a hurricane when I lived there. I once interviewed for the Collier Co. Ag agent job back in the '90's. This storm will be devastating.

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let's hope not. Based on current projections it looks like the E Coast is going to come out fairly well. Naples residents had better anchor in a hurricane hole.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The one thing we have learned is the computer simulations are near useless. Every update shows the previous one wrong.
I wouldn't be surprised if it went into the gulf and hit New Orleans.
In in Orlando (vacation?), Disney is closing the parks tonight and reopen, at earliest, Tuesday.

M

Posts: 1230 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup, they have been all over the place. It was going west. Then east. Now back to west.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
It's enough to drive me to drink. Of course, that's a short drive beer

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Clark:
The one thing we have learned is the computer simulations are near useless. Every update shows the previous one wrong.
I wouldn't be surprised if it went into the gulf and hit New Orleans.
In in Orlando (vacation?), Disney is closing the parks tonight and reopen, at earliest, Tuesday.

M

If it hits New Orleans, they will blame Bush-again

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No one mocks my paranoia of having few hundred liters of water at home, full pantry, plenty of gas coal and wood, dozen patterns and flashlights, tons of batteries, freezer full of ice, cooler etc

A friend from grad school 20 years back from Tampa came over - her husband is in Philly. Then another couple friends of hers who are also usf professors came over.

Best to be prepared.

Hope my 10-20k rounds of ammo have no use.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you need more ammo Mike, call me. I have plenty! rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
What you really need is a few Claymores on the perimeter. clap

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
This is turning into the insurance nightmare storm.

Collier county / Naples is 4 ft over sea level - surge is expected to be 12 feet.

I also got a generator.

Mike

Just don't asphyxiate yourself. Eeker

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Another thing I thought of yesterday was gas/oil mix for my chainsaw. Stocked up today. When the trees and limbs come down- and they will- I am ready to do what it takes and move the pieces with the tractor

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jdollar:
Another thing I thought of yesterday was gas/oil mix for my chainsaw. Stocked up today. When the trees and limbs come down- and they will- I am ready to do what it takes and move the pieces with the tractor

Also make sure you have chain fluid/oil.

I am driving around this weekend with a crappy chainsaw. May upgrade to professional one cause I just think they are super cool.

But in all truth chainsaws terrify me. I much rather use an ax. But I have time and few trees to chop.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can use SAE 30W or any other motor oil for your bar + chain lube;been doing it for years,won't hurt the saw + it works for a lot less money. Just for info when I buy my chemicals (mostly acids) I always pick up a carboy of MEK ;great degreaser + cheap by the gallon but it is nail polish remover by another name + a HUGE price increase (Ask your wife what she pays for a little bottle of nail polish remover)
;same as Tandy's leather cement is formica cement. One can pay a lot of money if you don't savvy the base product.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Posting pictures from an iPad sucks. But I just saw the poster child for gun ownership in the path of Irma.

The local Walmart in ocooe located next to the ocoee police department in packing up their store for the hurricane placed empty palate crates in from of the store.

I asked some employees why put a hurricane risk - a object that has possibility to get airborne in a hurricane or hurricane induced tornado. They said it was for the aftermath of the hurricane - possible looting. This is a store located next to damn police department.

Mile

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Last night the projected path was 20 miles east of us. Now it projected 20 miles west. Locally the projection is for a downgrade to Cat1. Last minute prep today before the heavy rain starts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Orlando.
Little windy, light rain. If I was on a hunt it isn't bad enough to keep me from going out.
Disney has parked two monorails in the center atrium of the hotel.

M

Posts: 1230 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hot off the presses.....

quote:
Irma had knocked out power to about 2 million customers by Sunday morning, said Rob Gould, a spokesman for Florida Power and Light. It had restored power to about 320,000 of those customers before noon, leaving 1.7 million without power, he said. Gould also said there were people impersonating utility employees and then robbing people in their homes at gunpoint, warning customers not to let anyone into their homes without proper identification.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I heard about that. They best not come around here. Might be a fatal mistake.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Mine would be the last house call they make. Looks like the storm eye will now be about 40 miles west and 7-8 hours earlier than first predicted when it gets here. Finished battening down a few hours ago. Now we wait beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looting in Ft Lauderdale

One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Considering the circumstances, I think there should be a "looters will be shot on sight" order in effect. It would help the post-Irma crime stats.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree.

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Yep..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My stepdaughter just expressed her outrage over the looting. Then she asked if I thought we had anything to worry about. I lifted one of my Glock's. She broke out laughing.

Raining like hell here. High winds off and on. Power has been gone for a few hours. Generators are worth every penny.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They surely are. I changed out my gas carburator to a LP system. Propane does not go bad like gasoline will over time.Just a tip for an item that you don't use frequently but when you need it you don't have to be concerned about old gas.StayBil helps but that only goes so far.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, mike, y'all all right down there now?

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com