New
Find
Notify
Tools

My favorite gun Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted
When I was 4. When the roll was to small to feed I would take it out, put it on the ground and hit it with a hammer. Oh the joy! Great smells too.

Posts: 1076 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure I had one of those and remember the hammer trick. Big fun!

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12875 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well that dates all of us. If you gave that to a kid today, they'd get shot with a real gun.

Posts: 10035 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Yes indeed, too sad. I still remember my "Fanner 50" + rig that I got for Christmas in the mid-50s, + yes the smell of burnt powder. I have often commented to my kids when we are on the range shooting 22s that that is the smell of my childhood.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Such great memories! About the last 'cap' gun I had looked sort of like an Uzi or MP5. You put in a roll of caps, wound the spring, and on a single trigger pull could dump a full roll. Do they even still make caps?
C.G.B.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
We got these too!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67008 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
Anyone know what kind of powder is in a cap?
Sure makes a great bang and smell.

Posts: 1076 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I remember all of us boys would bring these to kindergarten class every day.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
NVMichael, you sir took me back about 60+ years with that photo. I had a cap gun exactly like the one in the picture, and if no one told me differently I would swear that was it.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1189 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know back then we had scientific supply stores that sold all kinds of chemicals. We learned at an early age how to make our own black powder + various smoke/stink bombs. Really + truly we never did anything vicious, just pranks at school that did get our butts busted. Now there are so many restrictions on everything from a paranoid government that even the nessacary can't be had. A good case in point is a friend of my wife who has just had a dbl. mastectomy + all they gave her for the pain was 5 oxycodone pills. Dark ages indeed!

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Loved the numerous cap guns that I had like that growing up. We usually got new ones for the 4th of July each year. For me, when the cap roll got down to the end and wouldn't feed, it then became a 'single shot' cap gun, and I would feed each cap through the top to get the shot. Took some finesse, but I could usually get the remaining caps to 'pop'. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember doing that too, but hadn't thought about it in years. I've always been cheap, I will never throw away "good ammo". Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Right on Randy! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe (could be wrong) that caps back in the day use fulminate of mercury. I know they were very corrosive to brass. I had a cap pistol that was a replica of a Colt SAA that used a 2 piece 'cartridge'. The case was brass and the 'bullet' was some sort of cast metal. You put a cap inside the case and dropped in the bullet. The brass cases would corrode and fail very quickly. Shooting it was about like shooting a cap+ball revolver. The full autos were much more fun.
C.G.B.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeepers! i remember having these too, and just the sight of it immediately had the memory of the smell in my nose.

My brother and I used to hit them with a hammer too. must have been a universal boy thing.

Posts: 4257 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can smell the popped caps right now...I have hanging on my reloading room wall a "Buffalo Bill" cap gun (written on the barrel), only a single shot, wouldn't accept a roll of caps. It is at least 62 years old and has a very nice patina, end of the barrel broke off in about 1960 when we moved from Arkansas to Texas. I'll try an add a photo.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2766 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny how the olfactory glands bring in more memories than sight or hearing. Damn sure does for me. Powder scents now take me right back to my childhood at any given time. Caps sure, I was younger; then the 22s, we can all remember that scent! It not only was Heaven but a rite of passage.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
I remember all of us boys would bring these to kindergarten class every day.

Hahahaha!

I used to take my .410 shotgun and a box of ammo to school with me.

Left it behind the classroom door, and shot birds on the way back home, as we passed a bit of a swamp on the way.

Used to shoot sea birds like curlews and oyster catchers, and lots of other smaller migratory sea birds.

Those were the days.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67008 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
all they gave her for the pain was 5 oxycodone pills. Dark ages indeed!

That's pretty sick.

~Ann

Posts: 19169 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is indeed! The government has gone so overboard on their opiate scare.Their statistics are so scued, they combine heroin in with the prescription drugs because it makes their stats better. Come on, Heroin is already illegal. I'd love to see it like how it used to be in Belize. Everything was legal, just go into the pharmacy. If you were stupid enough to O.D. yourself, no problem, they would just dump your body at sea. I personally despise laws that are enacted to save us from ourselves, be they seat belts, motorcycle helmets for those over 18, or pain relievers. ESPECIALLY the latter1

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Randy,

I experienced such cruelty when I had my lumbar fusion a couple of years ago. I was in horrible pain for several months. I honestly wanted to die.

~Ann

Posts: 19169 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I'm not mistaken those roll caps contain a mixture of potassium chlorate, sulfur, and charcoal with a little ground glass or sand in it. Some of the SHTF folks punch them out and reload primers. Most of the toy stores don't carry them anymore. But you can get them on-line.

Posts: 3684 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Funny how the olfactory glands bring in more memories than sight or hearing. Damn sure does for me. Powder scents now take me right back to my childhood at any given time.

For sure!