New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite Literary Paragraphs Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
We see this on the back page of Sporting Classics every quarter. No free prize here except to hear what others will offer,quite often we do find that in itself is the prize.I will start. This is from Hemingway's "Islands In The Stream" concerning the 1903 M/S."As Thomas Hudson reached for the rifle it was chunky + heavy in its clipped sheep wool lined case that he kept saturated with Friend-oil to keep the sea air from rusting it.He pulled it out by the butt + slid the case under the decking on the fly bridge. It was a .256 Mannlicher Shoneauer with the old 18" barrel they were'nt allowed to sell anymore.The stock + forearm were browned like a walnut nutmeat with oil + rubbing + the barrel rubbed from months of carrying it in a saddle bucket,was oil slick,without a spot of rust.The cheek piece of the stock was worn smooth from his own cheek + when he pulled back the bolt the revolving magazine was full of heavy bellied cartridges with the long,thin,pencil shaped metal cased bullet with only a tiny exposed lead tip." This is from page 82 in my H.B. edition.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Here is another from an interview of Ruark concerning him being fashioned as "The Poor Man's Hemingway".Ruark says,"Hemingway once told me "We both own the same numbers of keys on the typewriter,the same numbers of words in the dictionary.Screw the critics because if they were any good they would'nt be critics,they'de be writers themselves.You will write possibly not so well as me in some instances and much better in others than I do and the fact that we both like to go hunting,have big ears and are uneasy with women we marry and don't faint at bullfights does not necessarily make you a carbon copy of me.I just got in a little earlier".

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote