Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Straight pull rifles! Login/Join 
one of us
posted
Well, I just received my latest American Rifleman, and , after skipping the claim that the NRA was "wielding the sword of freedom", found an article on the new Savage Impulse rifle, which is, as the subject indicates, a straight pull rifle!
Could this be a game changer?
Could red blooded Americans who think that the M1 Garand was the greatest battle rifle ever invented, embrace an American Blaser?
Is it time for the "second coming"?
Interestingly enough, the author, a "field editor" doesn't even reference the occurrences of "Blaser Face" that Blaser deniers like to refer to. In fact he doesn't really refer to any potential safety issues when you don't have "three rings of steel".
Me, I will stick to my R93 with it's 300wm, 7mmRM and 375H&H scoped barrels (and fitted case).
What do you guys think? Will Savage change the playing field with it's $1400 rifle?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
about as much as they've changed it with their 1400 dollar shotgun.
yeah.
you heard that right,, a 1400 dollar savage shotgun.

Posts: 4975 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The most stupid invention added to rifles.

EVER!

I have only used one Savage!

An utterly stupidly designed contraption that one needs to learn how to load the magazine!

Never again!

May be Savage IS the American version of Blaser!

Not for me!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66946 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I don’t want to sound like a gun snob, but Savage, Mossberg, H&R and the like were workhorses, but not like the girl you’d show off to your buddies. I’ve heard great things about the 110 with Accutrigger, the 550 is better than an 870, etc.

I would like to own a nice Savage 99, but that’s a different era altogether.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
I don’t want to sound like a gun snob, but Savage, Mossberg, H&R and the like were workhorses, but not like the girl you’d show off to your buddies. I’ve heard great things about the 110 with Accutrigger, the 550 is better than an 870, etc.

I would like to own a nice Savage 99, but that’s a different era altogether.

You mean cheap and nasty? rotflmo

Posts: 66946 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
savage needs to do what the car company's do to dup people into buying them.

Start a new company, call it Banchee and sell the high dollar stuff so marked.

Posts: 6389 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Anything Blaser related, or close to it deserves a great big

barf

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I thought this would be a discussion about straight pull rifles rather than a "let's dump on Savage"!
I have a Savage 110FP in 223 which is an amazingly accurate rifle. I also have a Mossberg 640 in 22mag. also a very accurate rifle. Nothing fancy, just accurate.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I predict it will crater. They probably won't pay for the tooling. When I conducted focus groups I soon learned if you feed people a steak and pay them $500 they will tell you what they think you want to hear. They'd do better with a robust CRF pump if they are after faster handling. Remington sure sold a boatload of 740-742's. If we get one in the shop it doesn't last two days on the rack. There is a market for them.

quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Well, I just received my latest American Rifleman, and , after skipping the claim that the NRA was "wielding the sword of freedom", found an article on the new Savage Impulse rifle, which is, as the subject indicates, a straight pull rifle!
Could this be a game changer?
Could red blooded Americans who think that the M1 Garand was the greatest battle rifle ever invented, embrace an American Blaser?
Is it time for the "second coming"?
Interestingly enough, the author, a "field editor" doesn't even reference the occurrences of "Blaser Face" that Blaser deniers like to refer to. In fact he doesn't really refer to any potential safety issues when you don't have "three rings of steel".
Me, I will stick to my R93 with it's 300wm, 7mmRM and 375H&H scoped barrels (and fitted case).
What do you guys think? Will Savage change the playing field with it's $1400 rifle?
Peter.

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
Get a K31.

Posts: 7480 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That straight pull Savage is a solution looking for a problem to solve. I have zero interest in even looking at one

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Lee, you got a point there. The Swiss are a force to be recorded with.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Blaser re-invented the wheel.

Making it square! clap

The most stupid, senseless design ever.

Used by wannabe hunters who have no clue what hunting is.

They should stick to fishing, where all the stinky business is! rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Eh, the new Rifle is a closer copy of a Heym sR30, has nothing in common with the Blaser other than the flick of a wrist motion.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Straight pull rifles were made for bent shooters! clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Basic question for me is why?

I'd get killed while I was trying to lift the bolt.

Posts: 10010 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Browning did a straight pull also. Saw one a few years ago.
Brownings T22 was a beautiful little rig. Made by FN if I remember right.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Biathlon rifles have been straight pull for years. I have two Izhmash rifles in 22lr. and 22mag. Both very accurate. Full bore rifles are a different matter, and there are a bunch of them, but Americans (and Saeed) don't want to hear about them!
Peter.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I saw the article on the Savage, but am not interested.
That said, I have had a straight pull of some sort for much of my life, including a new Browning/FN T-bolt Dad let me buy when I was 13, back in 1966. Since then, I have fooled with a bunch of military straight pulls: the clunky but interesting black-powder cartridge Steyr Model 1886, the Hungarian M95 carbine and the Schmidt Rubin Model 1911 and K31. Much preferred the K31, but they were all fun to shoot, and that T-bolt was wonderfully accurate.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16371 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote