THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Oh, the shame of it.......Iowa Q........

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oh, the shame of it.......Iowa Q........ Login/Join 
one of us
posted
quote:
A Des Moines barbecue restaurant beat out 250 teams to win world championship
Brian Taylor Carlson
Published 1:17 p.m. CT March 6, 2017

Iowa’s own Smokey D’s BBQ took the top spot at the 44th Annual World’s Championship Bar-B-Que Contest at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo in Houston Texas on Saturday. Over 250 teams from around the world participated in the event.

Darren and Sherry Warth, the husband and wife team from Smokey D’s BBQ, won both the grand champion overall prize and first prize for the ribs category. This was their third time competing in this contest for the Warths, who travel around the country and participate in about 40 contests per year.

“It’s crazy because we have a bucket list of every major competition and this was the last item on our bucket list,” Darren Warth said. “We are the only team that has come close to winning all the major competitions in barbecue.”

Judges used a double-blind system to sample ribs, chicken and brisket, and they were not allowed to speak with one another during the tasting process. The three-day contest leaves plenty of time for contestants to smoke and cook the meat, and there are three rounds of judging before the final round when the winner is announced.

There’s a 15-year waiting period to get into the competition unless a team wins another major competition from a barbecue circuit event. And the Warths did that. They won several competitions on the Kansas City Barbeque Society circuit, as well as several events in the International Barbeque Cookers Association and the Florida BBQ Association. In 2013, they took top honors at both the American Royal World Series of BBQ and the Jack Daniels World Championship, thus allowing them to gain entry into the Houston competition.

The Warths started Smokey D’s BBQ in 2006 in a trailer in their driveway. Since then, it’s become a local favorite with three locations in Des Moines — two downtown and one on the city's north side. The Warths have won over 800 category awards and 75 state competitions for their flavorful and moist barbecue.

Don't know when or if I'll get to Des Moines, but if I do, I'm going to make this joint a "must go".

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Absolutely!

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That has got to be some good BBQ.
It's about 1500 miles, if I leave now I can make dinner tomorrow.

M

Posts: 1230 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'm actually looking at retirement property in Iowa. This gives me another reason to go there.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12548 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote