Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

banned books Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
I have heard a bit about this in the media, but not much, as I don't like the news. My wife brought it to my attention today by saying that Texas is #1 in the book banning craze. Being an avid reader + complete anti-banner, I am curious about this. When I asked her what was being banned, her 1st thought was "To Kill A Mockingbird". O.K. I said to myself, now I think I have it pegged, basically, ANYTHING that offends somebody should be done away with. I recall a few years ago that they wanted to ban Huckleberry Finn as being racist because they used the N word (see, now I’m scared if I say THE word, I will get banned from this site). They are changing the names of all the army forts that were named for confederate generals, tearing down the statues, + doing their 1984 best to rewrite the history books to fit their "Brave New World" agenda. Does anyone have a list of the "banned books" + any info concerning this issue? Also, is this nationwide or state?

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
From what I have heard parents do not want books containing sexually graphic topics in elementary school libraries. I have seen news video of a parent reading directly from a book found in the school library that was terribly explicit at a school board meeting and the director shut him down and had him hauled away.

I do think others have wanted topics/books from our past history removed as well. I am not sure what hiding or changing history will achieve but these are what I have heard. Same goes along with hauling away statues and changing military installation names too. Seems fruitless.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the nearby towns is grappling with the issue this year, among others. It's an island of conservative thought, as we might expect.

Doesn't seem like there is a middle ground lately, both sides want to get right in each others' faces and fight.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14371 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These days, anyone with common Sense is labeled a "Conservative".

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1586 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
They aren’t banning books. And none of the ones like huckleberry Finn, etc. but they (leftist sensitivity readers) are editing those to remove “bad words.”

Go look up a book called Gender Queer. That is one that parents want removed from elementary school libraries. There is a scene in that book (or potentially another) where a girl tastes her own vaginal fluids. If removing that book from a 5th graders library to one more age appropriate is being a “banner” I’m a banner.

We restrict movies by age
We restrict alcohol by age
We restrict playboy, penthouse etc by age

But what it comes to confusing the living hell out of kids via sexually explicit books, apparently anything goes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
^ Excellent post!!!!!

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
They aren’t banning books. And none of the ones like huckleberry Finn, etc. but they (leftist sensitivity readers) are editing those to remove “bad words.”

Go look up a book called Gender Queer. That is one that parents want removed from elementary school libraries. There is a scene in that book (or potentially another) where a girl tastes her own vaginal fluids. If removing that book from a 5th graders library to one more age appropriate is being a “banner” I’m a banner.

We restrict movies by age
We restrict alcohol by age
We restrict playboy, penthouse etc by age

But what it comes to confusing the living hell out of kids via sexually explicit books, apparently anything goes.

It appears common sense was thrown out the door awhile ago.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
History = It happened like it or not.
Ignore History = It will happen again.
Rewrite novels so we don't offend snowflakes who are easily offended = Noone appreciates history or teaches the lessons that should be learned.

Posts: 10003 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like reading books about Africa from the Victorian era because I'm interested in the history. They are very politically incorrect, but if you cleaned them up, you wouldn't learn history.

One book I really like is by Sir Alfred Pease. I think he is a kindred soul, for example, one quote from him was "you go out to Arica to see savages, but you do not find them until you return." I have that quote in my office. It's so true!

On the other hand, he has a chapter on which Africans make the best servants that is hilarious at this point in time. But it's very frank and gives you a window into the Brits view at the time. Is it potentially offensive? Absolutely. Was it the view at the time? Absolutely. Do we want to lose that historical context? I think not.

By the way, he didn't like Somalis much.

Posts: 10003 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote