Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stroke. Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
My step-dad had a stroke last week. He is supposedly in the best of condition , but my 90,year old mother is not convinced. All the grandkids are there being supportive too. My son , Finn, is there over +above his own business interests to "take care of Grandma"! I would appreciate everyone's prayers for Bruce's recovery, but also the ease of my mother's state of mind.All prayers will be appreciated! Thank you, in advance

Posts: 4230 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
You have all ours.

We wish him all the best, and the strength to your grandma to get through this difficult time.

Sadly we all had to go through this.

Feeling totally helpless and wishing for the best.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66982 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
May he find the strength to recover.

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Thoughts and prayers, Randy! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, everyone.

Posts: 4230 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My prayers offered as well.

Posts: 10025 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
not religious but hope he gets better soon

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John, thanks. Agnosticism aside, good thoughts + well wishes sometimes can be construed as prayers. So thank you.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, your people have my prayers as well. The emotional trauma can sometimes be worse than the physical trauma.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16397 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Bill. Indeed, at 90 years old my mother has a hard time dealing with this, + that affects the whole family. Perhaps not as bad as Alzheimers, but devastating nonetheless. Thanks for your thoughts + prayers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, the most current is that although he is still paralysed on his left sides, their insurance company feels that he has "improved" enough to not supply any more coverage. We are still fighting that one. When I find the time, I will tell all about my own homeowners' insurance debacle at a future date. GD., bastards, want your money, but when they have to come up, with their end, they baulk!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norman Conquest:
Oh, the most current is that although he is still paralysed on his left sides, their insurance company feels that he has "improved" enough to not supply any more coverage. We are still fighting that one. When I find the time, I will tell all about my own homeowners' insurance debacle at a future date. GD., bastards, want your money, but when they have to come up, with their end, they baulk!

Sorry to hear of this. Sadly this is how medicine has changed due to insurance companies being in charge now. Horrid.

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They have Humana + up until now, everything has been fine. Now, they have denied him twice, saying that THEY think he is well enough to go home. He can't even sit up, let alone get out of bed + they think my 90-year-old Mother can care for him?!!! She is in a frantic for many reasons because he has taken care of everything for the last 50 years + so she is getting electronic harassing phone calls about late payments on bills that she has no idea what they ever are. But she is working it out. The other day she told me that when she was going to the hospital + needed gas, she didn't remember how to fill her car + had to get help from some guy in the parking lot.Oh, my Mom's a tough old bird + will get through this, but right now, it is hell for her + a woman at 90 should not be subjected to this! I know that the holidays are a bad time to be in need of care, as almost everyone is off duty. But, I got a hold of their agent + he said he would take care of it. I fervently hope so. Oh, + Ann, you are so right! They are REALLY pushing to have him taken home, + out of the system, because once you take him out of the hospital, good luck getting him back in there or anywhere. To the best of my knowledge, as long as he needs care + is in hospital, they can't throw him out in the street. What a mess!

One of Us
Picture of Lester Brooks
posted Hide Post
Keep a close eye on the bills. When my dad was placed into a nursing home a person came to where the family was sitting and talked for a while without saying he was a DR. I was in control of his care with the proper paperwork and I get a bill for over $5,000. His extra insurance would not pay the bill, so I called his office and they told me I wasn't supposed to get that bill. Ha Ha The nurses added this extra DR. without my permission. I found out that the DR. had sent his aids over to check him out and the insurance had refused to pay. Keep a close eye on everything. I spent over $140,000 to the rest home as he was on private pay.

Posts: 91 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 December 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Les, that sounds criminal!

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it is not, it ought to be. Mom is stressing about the future bills as well, + heaven knows she doesn't need any more stress. I called her tonight + she was a mess. Seems she talked with the doctor today, on his way from one hospital to another, + he was very abrupt, saying things like, "Well, he's just not trying, you need to put him in hospice or a nursing home, etc." Very callous behavior, I thought. Now she is worried that she might have to sell her home, etc. I told her not to worry, if they continue to harass you, just do like a lot of others do; file bankruptcy. So they damage your credit rating for the next 7 years; at 90 years old, why care.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I talked with Mom this evening + she is at her wits end. The hospital won’t let him stay any longer + Humana has denied any claims to place him anywhere to get help. They want to send him home, or just out on the street, I guess. He is not the 1st person to have a stroke, why can't they help with some advice, or anything?!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am sorry they are doing that. They did the same thing to me after I have my lumbar fusion. I was not capable of being at home yet. Kicked me out at the dinner hour without dinner too. It was interesting to see the attitude change in the nursing staff once your insurance kicked off.

I had to interrupt a friend to come get me while I was still in agony to take me home.

I wonder if you can get insurance to help with in-home health services?

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Probably what you don't want to hear, but I suspect you are running into criteria.

Your FIL is not meeting hospitalization requirements (and quite frankly is taking up bed space that someone else may well desperately need - right now we are diverting folks 100's of miles due to workforce depletion and lack of staff.)

The best thing to try is ask for a PT/OT evaluation for functional capacity and ability to perform activities of daily living. If they can demonstrate that he cannot perform these, then he may well qualify for acute rehabilitation... which is a stay at a nursing home until he can do everything he needs to do at home. (yes, some hospitals have something called a swing bed that they do this at... but those are usually pretty rare.)

That's probably not what you want to hear, but that is how the system is set up.

And regular medicare doesn't pay for that... you need supplemental insurance for that.

Posts: 10627 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I passed it on.