Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle in Yellowstone Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Doing Elk hunt in Idaho. Going to tour Yellowstone park prior to hunt. If rifle is I case, can you carry in car while in the park . Sorry not Africa, thought someone might know?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Park Statement:

"As of February 22, 2010, a new federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in this park.

The Credit Card Accountability Responsibility and Disclosure Act of 2009, was enacted May 22, 2009 and will become effective February 22, 2010. Section 512 of this law; Protecting Americans from Violent Crimes, supersedes the uniform treatment of firearm possession in the national park system outside Alaska under the regulations found at 36 C.F.R. 2.4.

It is the responsibility of visitors to understand and comply with all applicable state, local, and federal firearms laws before entering this park. Yellowstone encompasses parts of Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho. Each state has different regulations and these are listed below.

Federal law also prohibits firearms in certain facilities in this park (such as visitor centers, government offices, etc.); those places are marked with signs at all public entrances. Hunting and discharge of firearms remain prohibited in Yellowstone National Park.

Firearms should not be considered a wildlife protection strategy. Bear spray and other safety precautions are the proven methods for preventing bear and other wildlife interactions."

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
My wife and I toured Yellowstone in 2000 and I had two rifles in cases in our vehicle.

Unless you openly call attention to the fact that you have firearms, I seriously doubt anyone is going to say anything.

If you are simply touring the park, you will have no reason to have your rifle out of its case. Unless you make an issue of it, Park Personnel will not make an issue of it.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
My wife and I toured Yellowstone in 2000 and I had two rifles in cases in our vehicle.

Unless you openly call attention to the fact that you have firearms, I seriously doubt anyone is going to say anything.

If you are simply touring the park, you will have no reason to have your rifle out of its case. Unless you make an issue of it, Park Personnel will not make an issue of it.

100%. Done it for years, no problems.

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I used to live within spitting distance of Yellowstone when it was illegal for you to have firearms within the park. It seems this rule has changed per Coyote's post above.

Having said that if it were me, I'd still make sure the rifle case is covered by other gear. Never saw a Park Ranger purposely looking for firearms and I'm sure when it was illegal it was the most violated law within the park. That said, poaching has been known to happen in the park and I'd guess the rangers are particularly concerned with this during local hunting seasons. So keep the rifles covered and don't give them a reason to suspect anything would be my advice.

Posts: 584 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: 13 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The recent case out of Minnesota makes clear that even Game Wardens have to have probable cause for a search. So if you don't give anyone probable cause or consent, how would anyone know? That said, fighting something like that could get expensive.

Posts: 10003 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Years ago, we did a cross-country move, and like usual, the movers don't take weapons or valuables on their trucks. We drove through a couple of national parks with rifle cases without any real problems. The rangers noted that we had them, understood that we didn't have a home to leave them in, just admonished us to keep them out of sight. Fair enough, but I don't know how things are these days. I normally keep rifle cases buried deep when in transit.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14371 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
As of February 22, 2010, a new federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in this park.

+1 the only reason to hide them is to keep them from being stolen. If one wanted to one could carry a rifle in ones hands and be legal in yellow stone.

Posts: 19360 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Firearms should not be considered a wildlife protection strategy. Bear spray and other safety precautions are the proven methods for preventing bear and other wildlife interactions."

The park service is over run with green weenies that would rather a bear be saved then you.

Posts: 19360 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote