THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    I Converted An Anti-Gunner Yesterday!!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Converted An Anti-Gunner Yesterday!! Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
My soon to be daughter-in-law hated guns.All she knew about them was what she saw on T.V. or read in the news.You know, Columbine, Virginia Tech,etc. and concluded that guns are really bad.

At my place I am forever doing gopher eradication and her 4yr.old (my granddaughter Smiler) will sit with me while I take care of business with a .22. Yes she wears ear protection.

So 6 weeks or so ago after I had taken care of a pest,there were 2 rounds left in the .22. D-I-L was in the house and had granddaughter get mom.

She came out and I insisted that she shoot the last rounds. After some prodding, she agreed. But she was really scared. I explained that it was only a .22,(mod. 60 Glenfield) that recoil was minimal,and she just might like it. She fired those 2 shots into the hillside and was shaking really bad from an adrenalin rush. But that shooting the gun was not as bad as she expected!

So yesterday they are at our house for the 1 yr. olds birthday. After all the guests had left, I asked soon-to-be D-I-L if she wanted to do some plinking. She didn't know what that meant,and after a short explanation,she agreed.

We head down to the backyard range with .22 rifle and a pistol,along with 300 rds. of ammo. I gave a quick rundown on gun safety and handling as well as how to line up iron sights.

She shoots the rifle first,(it has a scope) and is pretty happy with her shooting,18 rds. through a model 60 glenfield at 2" steel resetter targets at 25 yds. Numerous hits, but we didn't count them.

So now she wants to try the Ruger 22/45 pistol. Load up a mag and let her have at it. Can you say Dr. Jekyll/ Mr. Hyde!! She was shooting at 7 yds. at those 2" steels, and hitting them often enough. The grin she had on her face,and the twinkle in her eye,I knew she understood the fun that you can have with guns. I couldn't load the 2nd mag fast enough.Bang bang bang.She sure had a good time and now understands that guns can be fun.

Before yesterday,she was an "uneducated" anti-gunner.Today, she "gets it". I think I might have a new shooting partner.

Maybe all we have to do is take the "anti's" shooting to change their minds.

Posts: 147 | Location: Green Co.,Wis | Registered: 07 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aha! Fear of the unknown..fed only by the news media... I have never given a newcomer to shooting, a rifle for the first time, and not had them end up with a smile on their face..!! Ain't it great!? Good on you for making a shooter out of that young lady. None of us, hunters or shooters should pass up a chance to convert the uninformed!! We all need to make an effort in that area!!

Z

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another reason and a golden example of why ALL children should be taught a course in gun safety whilst they are in elementary school.
This bullshit of "if you see a gun, run away" is exactly that: bullshit.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wasbeeman,I can't agree more. D-I-L was not too thrilled when I showed her the youth .22 I had bought for the 4 yr. old granddaughter.Hopefully, that girl will know how to safely handle a gun before her 5th birthday.

She helps me at the reloading bench. I let her seat the bullets. She thinks it is pretty cool making ammo. Takes a lot longer than doing myself,but she is slowly learning about guns and we spend time together.

Posts: 147 | Location: Green Co.,Wis | Registered: 07 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I let my sons (one at a time) help me with the reloading. It only took twice as long but it was twice the fun.
I impressed on them the need to pay attention to the job at hand and to avoid any distractions. I also got to referee the minor firestorm when my littlest told his mother: "We're going out to do some reloading so don't be bothering us!!" Smiler

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boy I hope he holds that thought in another few years when he discovers "Girls!" My 3 daughter-in laws love to shoot (I give my son's the credit[where did they get it from?] ).Every Christmas they get a brick of ammo to burn up here on our range before Christmas dinner.And,NO,I am not a heathen,the Ladies always get some perfume + or sundries as well.

Posts: 4250 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote