New
Find
Notify
Tools

Russell Moccasin Co. Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted
I know there are numerous glowing reports about the Russell Moccasin Co. on this site, but...

I had my feet measured/drawn at the Russell booth at the SCI show this year. The guy wasn't what you'd call enthusiastic, but I understand how hectic a trade show can be. He gave me a catalog and the drawing/measurements of my feet and sent me on my way.

I ordered a pair of dress shoes in late February, "to be shipped on or about" 7/13/12. They charge your credit card immediately (Feb.), but they're custom shoes - I get it.

7/18 I call and the receptionist tells me they shipped on the 16th. I call on the 25th - "doesn't show shipped", she transfers me to Sue the Production Manager. "Should be shipped no later than Monday, 7/30." I call on 8/6 - "I don't know who told you that (that they'd ship by 7/30), they'll definitely ship this week." I ask her name - "Sue" was the reply.

'Get the shoes on 8/13. They're loose. I ship them back and they do a rework, admittedly, quite quickly. 'Get them back on 9/28, still loose. There's no paper in the box except a packing list, so I call about returning for a refund - receptionist says to just write a note and put it in the box to return it. I write a business-like letter requesting the 271.00 I'm out (the price of the shoes), plus any shipping refund they feel is fair, since I'm out almost 45.00 in shipping. They send me an envelope with my CC credit receipt in it for 271.00; no "Sorry, please try us again," no nothing.

I won't judge and say "typical yankee company" Big Grin, but I will say WHAT AN EXTREMELY ODD LITTLE COMPANY THAT WILL NEVER GET ONE MORE DIME OF MY MONEY.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of shoes that I literally bought from them on the last day of one of the SCI Conventions in Reno. I love the shoes. However, I ordered a pair of Thula Thulas from them and had a similar experience, although they did get them right after about 6 months. Sue is the owner's daughter if I am not mistaken. Yes, there's both love and hate here on AR with Russell Moccasin shoes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought my first pair after a SCI convention and currently own 3 pair. I am very satisifed and like to support USA businesses. I love my North 40 bird boots. I am sorry you have had trouble and hope they work on some of their customer service issues you had. The only thing I don't like is the extensive wait time, but I understand due to them being custom and the amount of production the company can do.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
I wore a standard birdshooter for years but as soon as I tried to get a custom fit sheephunter everything went to hell in the handbasket. After trying to use the trace your foot method failed I simply asked for a shoe size and still wasn't anywhere near satisfied. It's a shame too as they are superfine boots when they fit!!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ordered a pair a few years ago. On a hunt in Zim they fell apart on me. I think the sand might have chewed up the thread. I sent them back for a refund, and got no satisfaction whatever.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish they just sold standard sizes....the custom measure system is a disaster. After several tries, I gave up and went to Kennetrek. A "normal" size 10D fit perfectly.

Posts: 20090 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've posted this before, but here is my experience with Russells:

For me Russells were the most uncomfortable boots I have ever worn. When I purchased my first pair they were so bad I was convinced it must be a fluke because so many people hold them in such high regard. The following year at DSC I had different style custom made and they were just as bad as my first pair. I do not dispute anyone else's experience with Russells, but mine was horrible. I actually threw both pairs away as I did not feel comfortable trying to sell them to anyone. One of my posts in the Army was with the 10th Mountain Division (Light Infantry), for those who don't know that means A LOT of road marches; in all that marching I never had blisters like I had when I did a seven mile hike with the Russells.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ordered a pair at the SCI show in 08 for 09 Zim safari, all went well with the shipment, with the exception of no laces. Called and received them in time. One of the best boots I own. Just my two cents worth!!!

Posts: 94 | Location: South Eastern PA | Registered: 11 April 2010Reply With Quote