Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you do for a living? Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
I believe it is always interesting (at least for me) to know what people do for a profession.

Me- I am an Instructor (Drafting and Machining) at a small Tech. School. I also own a small Drafting business (Piping, Mechanical, Arch. design).

Very interested in what your profession is...

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have a sheet metal business specializing in commercial HVAC applications ,also period s/m historical replications.Having over the years bought up machinery ( a lot from the 1800's) I can reproduce items that are period correct using new materials but on original tooling thus satisfying the historical societies.Those jobs are few + far between however so the commercial ventilation systems are the real bread + butter.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
I (my wife and I) have a Bristol Bay Gillnetter,a 47' Landing Craft,I guide hunters and fisherman,caretake 3 Lodges, and we have a good productive trapline. And a few misch thingies that help as well.

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1409 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Commercial/Light Industrial Design/Build Electrical Contracting.

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I have been retired since 1991.

Prior to that, I was/did

- Soldier, NCO, 25th U.S. Army Infantry Division
- Sheriff's Deputy, San Benito County, CA
-Police Officer, Menlo Park, CA PD
- Engineer, then Deputy Chief, Hollister CA Fire Department
- Foreman, hotshot crew, Oregon
- City Mgr., Oregon
- Director, 1,150 bed psych hospital, Alberta
- Founder & Executive Director Alberta Ecology Corps
- Licensed big game guide/outfitter, Alberta
- Instructor, Northern Alberta Inst. of Technology (FT) and Univ. of Calgary (PT)
- Dir. Personnel Services & Staff Training, Gov't of Saskatchewan, CAN.
- Negotiator, Alaska Hwy Gas Pipeline Project
- Director Loram and Beaufort Conglomerates of more than 20 large heavy industry companies, CAN.
- Gen. Employment Mgr., SamCor (at that time it was largest Hosp chain in SW U.S.)
- Employee Relations, Amex

So, guess you could call me an organization problem solver.

On the side I volunteered services as a ballistic forensics consultant for the RCMP, was V-P King's Own Calgary Regiment Military Rifle Assn., V-P Canadian Historical Arms Society, foreign revolutions predictor & analyzer for U.S gov't, range officer & then Chief Range Officer (14 years).

Also spent more than 30 years PT as a shooting author, gun book publisher, gunsmith, and competitive marksman (both rifle & pistol).

32° SR Valley of Roseburg, Orient of Oregon, A&A SR, SJ. Life Oakland #16

It has been a good, interesting life. Wish I could go around again.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Surface coal miner

......civilize 'em with a Krag

Posts: 291 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
ikesdad, Come on say it all! "Underneath a starry flag,civilize them with a Krag....Love that action. Best,Randy.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although right now I am off work fighting cancer, my employment history as of late is that of a nuclear consultant. Basically, when nuclear power plants get in trouble with the NRC, it is because there are certain things they should have taken care of that they didn't, or didn't take care of properly. When the NRC comes down on one of these plants, I go in as part of a selected team, find the extent of the problems and what caused them, then help the plant(s) put programs in place that keep the trouble from arising again.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own a propane business in Colorado.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Having just finished writing the last of the checks for my 2012 taxes today, I can say that I pay taxes for a living. Mad

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Although I am by training - electrical engineer , after university I worked in the field of data processing , database designed for different applications. One of the lines - the database for the Border Service. Then, many years I have taught computer science at the Border Guard Academy , from which retired. Pensions in Russia are small, but enough for utilities .
Before the crisis of 2008, I was the author and editor of the technical department of a photographic journal (mostly on optics ) , collapse of the advertising market hit the glossy magazines as well. Sometimes I wright now ( lenses , scopes ) .
Published several books on contemporary politics , in particular , predicted the war in Iraq in 2002 Smiler many did not believe that in the third millennium, people will fight too Smiler . Book production in Russia does not create millionaires , unfortunately - a market is limited.
Worked as the editor of a small newspaper , the coordinator of research in the field of construction and architecture.
About me as a writer there is a page on Wikipedia, there are not all true , but oh , to hell with them.

Moderator of some sections of the popular resource guns.ru " Famous rifle of World Wars ," " Gunsdogs and Hounds " (this is free , and nothing but trouble , does not bring ) .

Posts: 2356 | Location: Moscow | Registered: 07 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Having just finished writing the last of the checks for my 2012 taxes today, I can say that I pay taxes for a living

I forgot to add that to my current career; thanks for the reminder!

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm retired, currently living off Gatogordo's taxes.

Posts: 13773 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a retired police officer, which I did for just shy of 34 years.

I now manage a charitable gambling operation.
That bascially meands I do everything from clean the toilets to hire and fire people!

It is a part time job I took to pay my last taxidermy bill from Africa!

Posts: 1464 | Location: Southwestern Idaho, USA!!!! | Registered: 29 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm newly retired. I own a resort in Houghton Lake, Michigan. My brother and I just bought a brothel, which has no hookers as of now so he is running it by hand!

Posts: 558 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
At present I am sort of a Jack of various trades. Mostly, what I consider a Professional Hunter, as that I am in the field 365 days a year doing something related to hunting here in north Texas, including guiding hunters for white tail deer and feral hog. I also help take care of a small herd of cattle, + or - 50 animals and a growing herd of Buffalo/American Bison.

Prior to that, from 1982 until 2006 when I retired I worked as a keeper at the Fort Worth Texas Zoological Park. Before then I did some work in the oil field, general construction, worked two different stints as a table saw operator, once for a company that built mobile homes and the second time for Coachmen Industries that built/build travel trailers. I also worked for a while building muzzle loading firearms at Mowery Gun Works that used to be located here in Olney.

As side businesses I have raised various ornamental waterfowl and pheasants over the years and at present my wife and I raise chickens and sell eggs and also raise exotic sheep for the hunting market here in Texas.

Been married twice, first time for 17 years, second time for 21 years so far. Lora worked for the Social Security Administration for slightly over 25 years. We both retired in 2006 and have actually been busier since we retired than we were when still working.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
ikesdad, Come on say it all! "Underneath a starry flag,civilize them with a Krag....

......And return us to our own beloved homes.

......civilize 'em with a Krag

Posts: 291 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 23 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
I'm retired, currently living off Gatogordo's taxes.

Damn, I wish I had known that sooner, we could have cut out the middle man.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once Sgt ISS of Co G/75th Inf (Army Rangers) in RVN. Chu Lai 16 months, Danang 9+. Police Officer 4 years, raised cattle and horses until 1978.

Moved to Idaho, have spent the last 35 years at the Woods Loafers Academy.
Dual Majors in Hunting and Fishing, with a minor in Cattle.

Hauled US Mail the last 17 years or so, until they retired me on disability 5 years ago. I took the retirement $$$ and bought a Jag convertible and hunted Buffalo in Zim that December.

I am also a beneficiary of half of that SS money Gato sends in each month. It has allowed me to make three trips to Africa, with a fourth planned for next year.

Had a hiccup the first marriage, but this one is going on a quarter-century. I'm thinking this one will work.

God has been very good to me. He bought me the car, a fast Harley, and a new FJ Cruiser, after He paid my house off.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Retired after 28 years in the USAF. Now teaching AFJROTC at a high school...and used my new found "wealth" and time to take my first African hunting trip for Buff with my dad. We're planning an Argentina bird hunt next.

Posts: 1243 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
International Man of Intrigue. With a part time gig of the "Most Interesting Man in the World."

Thanks for asking.

Posts: 6250 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do freelance electrical engineering work, most of the time small microcontroller systems that I design, build and program. It gets me out of the house...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14371 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wendell, that goes a long way towards classifying you...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I manage a metal fab shop specializing in pollution control equipment

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hank Hill!!!!!! rotflmo

That explains the swivel beer holder on your loading bench! There are East Texans everywhere!

What am I saying at least you do something honest for a living....

quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
I own a propane business in Colorado.

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A man gots to have his priorities don't he???

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Graduated WVU in 1986 as a landscape architect. With the exception of 4 years opening and managing restrauants, been doing the landscape gig since.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I am an underground miner for a gold mine.

After 2 fatalities in the past year in my work area It is not a pleasant place to work at the moment. Considering they were doing the same job as I do day to day I watch my ass...

Nerve racking to say the least

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Revenue Cycle Software Sales in Healthcare. I've found a high degree of success here over the past 11 years...

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I work in power utilities. Have been a mechanic mostly with stints as an operator, and maintenance Manager.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Born, raised and educated in Texas. Proud son of Texas A&M.

1971-1991: Officer, U.S. Army, Military Police Corps. Retired in '91 as a LTC (0-5).

1991-2007: Real estate agent, broker, manager, franchise owner. Learned why people who own real estate companies are called brokers--I was never "broker" in my life.

2007-2009: Taught juniors & seniors in local high school.

2009-present: House-husband.

Married 35 years to my sons' mother until she passed away. Married 8 years this coming December to a little Cajun girl 10 years my junior who keeps me hoppin'.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1546 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
I have been retired on three different pensions since 1991. Am still getting all three plus investment income.

Prior to that, I was/did

- Machinist @ Parker Aircraft in Torrance, CA
- Soldier, NCO, 25th U.S. Army Infantry Division
- Sheriff's Deputy, San Benito County, CA
-Police Officer, Menlo Park, CA PD
- Engineer, then Deputy Chief, Hollister CA Fire Department
- Foreman, hotshot crew, Oregon
- City Mgr., Oregon
- Director, 1,150 bed psych hospital, Alberta
- Founder & Executive Director Alberta Ecology Corps
- Licensed big game guide/outfitter, Alberta
- Instructor, Northern Alberta Inst. of Technology (FT) and Univ. of Calgary (PT)
- Dir. Personnel Services & Staff Training, Gov't of Saskatchewan, CAN.
- Negotiator, Alaska Hwy Gas Pipeline Project
- Director Loram and Beaufort Conglomerates of more than 20 large heavy industry companies, CAN.
- Gen. Employment Mgr., SamCor (at that time it was largest Hosp chain in SW U.S.)
- Employee Relations, Amex

So, guess you could call me an organization problem solver.

On the side I volunteered services as a ballistic forensics consultant for the RCMP, was V-P King's Own Calgary Regiment Military Rifle Assn. (Still a member of the Officers' Mess), V-P Canadian Historical Arms Society, foreign revolutions predictor & analyzer for U.S gov't, range officer & then Chief Range Officer (14 years).

Also spent more than 30 years PT as a shooting author, gun book publisher, gunsmith, and competitive marksman (both rifle & pistol).

32° SR Valley of Roseburg, Orient of Oregon, A&ASR, SJ. Life Oakland #16

It has been a good, interesting life. Wish I could go around again.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am the engineering manager on a $10B coal seam gas project in Queensland Australia.

Posts: 1572 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of The Metalsmith
posted Hide Post
Medically retired from USMC, was a director of manufacturing at a medium sized radiator manufacturing company for a little while. Came to Oregon on a whim, dabbled between being an auto mechanic and an epoxy flooring technician. Currently doing a good job keeping the couch occupied after an automobile accident (awaiting drainage of a massive arachnoid cyst in my spine from said accident), currently considering going back to old radiator company due to offers with very nice pay rates, if I make a full recovery.
On the side I am a gunsmith, jeweler, tattoo artist, painter, blacksmith and I own a few old Chevy trucks, which is a part-time profession keeping them running!

"Molotov Cocktails don't leave fingerprints"
-Dr. Ski

Posts: 579 | Location: Astoria, Oregon | Registered: 24 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own a micro trucking company {me and my truck}. not very interesting I know but important.

Posts: 509 | Location: Flathead county Montana | Registered: 28 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Evan K.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rnovi:
Revenue Cycle Software Sales in Healthcare. I've found a high degree of success here over the past 11 years...

Same here, it is a good business to be in.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Posts: 775 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunter, fisherman, dog trainer/handler and lawyer.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Naval Aviator for the next few months and then hopefully starting a new career somewhere with good hunting, preferably Texas.

Posts: 411 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 28 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been a usps contractor for 37 years,a carwash owner for 24 year, a courier service since 1984.My saying is retirement is not an option for the self-employed and I feel blessed everyday to work and play.

Posts: 370 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I learned early in life that there were two groups of leisure classes in this country ; the very wealthy and the very poor, and knew that I had slight chance to make the former.
I am a charter member of the directionless looser club --- and part time gun toting prostitute.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4194 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote