THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Looking for a new credit card company!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a new credit card company! Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
I need a new credit card company! My account suffered a fraud attack on the way home from the World shoot. Within 15 minutes of arriving home Bank of America fraud unit is contacting me, advise they will expadite a card to me here by Tuesday. Good job I believe. Ha!

Wednesday afternoon I contact card service to inquire why I have not received a card. the reply " we forgot to advise you of the $15 fee to expadite so we cancelled the order." I explained no one had called to advise me; " oh, we don't contact you". I explained that the card needed to be expadited and delivered on Thursday. " Oh you should have called by 3 EDT if you wanted that".

I contacted corporate office in Charlotte this morning and complained. The lady in NC was very sorry, and tried to be helpful. But, as she explained they simply had no way to get a card here before Friday at the earliest. I explained that I had a large number of travel points and would need to take a trip before canceling I supposed, but intended to find a new credit card company. She advised that she was sorry I felt that way. So I guess I need to go card shopping.

Posts: 65 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 02 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have a COSTCO nearby, their AMEX deal is unbeatable. Membership is $35 a year, and the card is free with membership. Depending on type of service, you get 1-2-3% annual rebate. Ours was over $300 this past February.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Cabela's VISA is VERY GOOD CARD, if you are not adamant about getting "cash back" as part of the deal. You do get points good for buying anything they sell. So, if you like good sturdy work clothes or even darned near any kind of hunting or shooting gear (including guns) it is a good deal. They are as safe as a card can be. My card number was stolen about 10 years ago and they called me at supper time the same day, cancelled all the fraudulent charges instantly, and mailed me a new card the next day. I could have gotten it quicker if I wanted to share in the cost of overnight express.

Also, if the day/date of the month you want to get your bill (and hereby its "payment due by" date) is not a good fit with your normal payment schedule, just phone them. They will change when your monthly billing cycle ends each month to fit whatever date would be more convenient for you, at no charge.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used Cabelas and it was very good.

I switched to Capitol One Visa Business and it has been exceptional. I used it in Africa and was very pleased.

The customer service is great and I receive 2% back that can be used for cash or sky miles.

I can add people to it free of charge (I add my employees) and I can set specific spending limits.

I am sure there are many good cards. I did research on this very same subject and concluded that this card was at or near the top.

Posts: 2641 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chris Lozano
posted Hide Post
The Capitol One business card is very good.
Very easy to use the points for travel.

The only problem you will have is getting a high credit limit. They are very cautious will the limits. I usually use it all up before the end of the month, and have to transfer money to get it active again.

I have a different card i use for personal use and the limit is about $10,000.00 higher than what Capitol One will give.

Posts: 753 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 27 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"The only problem you will have is getting a high credit limit. They are very cautious will the limits. I usually use it all up before the end of the month, and have to transfer money to get it active again"

Very true and a great point!

Posts: 2641 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Run run far away from Bank of America

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
You should get shed of Bank Of America if for no other reason they are an anti-gun organization. Google it up,I don't have the time to get into the details. I have a Cabela's Club Visa + their interest rate is fair + building up points for something I would never spend money on.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Chase Freedom, or the Chase Ink card are the best... comparable to Amex but without the annual fee.

I usually get a check at the end of the year for around $500 from cashing in my points... (you can get it at anytime, but I save it up till after Christmas)
Of course for this to be "worth it" you need to pay the balance every month. If you can't, you shouldn't be using a credit card anyway.

And Chase is gun neutral.. treats you like any other customer/business.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1963 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use an airline milage card (Alaska) as i travel so much, plus i can get a really high limit from them. I've got over $1 million miles right now to use.
My wife really likes her Capital One card as outside the US she gets charged no conversion fee's for purchases.
There are lots of options out there depending on what you personally value for points or $.

Posts: 439 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 11 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
Cabela's VISA is VERY GOOD CARD, if you are not adamant about getting "cash back" as part of the deal. .... My card number was stolen about 10 years ago and they called me at supper time the same day, cancelled all the fraudulent charges instantly, and mailed me a new card the next day. I could have gotten it quicker if I wanted to share in the cost of overnight express.

Also, if the day/date of the month you want to get your bill (and hereby its "payment due by" date) is not a good fit with your normal payment schedule, just phone them. They will change when your monthly billing cycle ends each month to fit whatever date would be more convenient for you, at no charge.

Most reward cards offer a choice of cash back or merchandise. But if you look carefully, the merchandise offered is at MSRP, not at real world prices, so in most cases you are better off with a card that has a cash back option.

As to your Billing date change statement, almost all of the major players offer this option now days. And for replacement lost cards, the major players offer overnight delivery, FREE worldwide. This is a very competitive business.

Also, I did some checking.. World’s Foremost Bank is a one-branch bank in Nebraska. Owned and operated by Cabela's for the sole purpose of offering the cards.

I also found this on the FDIC website.. FDIC CRA ratings The last three reviews were "Needs to improve" does not give me much confidence in their ability to operate a bank.

There is other stuff out there like this.. Complaints board

Don't get me wrong, I am not slamming Cabela's, I like the company and really hope they succeed, but they need to stick with what they know, and outsource what they do not. The banking industry is probably as regulated as the firearms industry if not more due to recent events, and the learning curve ius steep and can be expensive.

That being said, I wouldn't sit on "your points" for too long..

NRA Benefactor.

Posts: 1963 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My last dealings with BOA was when my wife passed. I paid her balance and sent them a letter that she was deceased. They continued to send me credit statements for her. Finally, I cut up her card and mailed it and a copy of her death certificate to BOA. THEY SENT ME A REPLACEMENT CARD AND RAISED HER CREDIT LIMIT!

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go to Dave Ramsey.com. He has info there that will help you decide.
If you pay it off EVERY month, you pay ---0--- interest, so what difference does it make what the interest rate is ?

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another interesting thing about Cabela's Club Visa card is that the "due date" on your billings is not really a date following which a later payment will necessarily result in a late fee or interest charge.

The cycle closing date on my card from them is in the last week of each month, and I get my statement soon thereafter, with a "due date" in about the 2nd week of the following month. However, if a person screws up and mails the payment late they still usually aren't assessed any interest or late fees effective beginning with the "due date". There are no charges accruing until until after the next closing date has passed.

And with all cards, one should never buy anything he can't afford to pay cash for. Always pay the balance on time, with no resulting interest or fees, so the "rewards" really are rewards for use.

If one is buying pretty much everything he purchases by using plastic, and pays the balance off on time every month, then the $70,000 or so it costs his family to live each year will result in $700 or more cash back every year....much better to receive than a kick with frozen boot.

Some cards pay more than 1% back, too. Some pay as much as 5% depending on the nature of the items being purchased.

Of course the card issuers are not wild about having customers which pay no interest, but they aren't broken-hearted about it. After all they charge the merchants who accept their cards a tidy little sum on every transaction.
So with typical card and merchant, if you purchase $70,00 per year, the card issuer will still get something in the neighborhood of $3,500 in fees each year from the merchants who sold you the stuff.

That way everyone is more or less happy....you because you got the rebates (rewards)...the merchant because accepting the cards did increase their sales enough to more than make up what they paid the card issuers... and the banks because they collected the fees from the merchants.

Also if the card user's statement total is about the same every month, then he is effectively getting the interest on the "float" if he pays the monthly payment out of an interest earning account like I do.

So I pay the balance from my interest-bearing account, then re-pay that account from my regular checking account. That way there is always the same mount of money in that account earning interest.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also, I did some checking.. World’s Foremost Bank is a one-branch bank in Nebraska. Owned and operated by Cabela's for the sole purpose of offering the cards.

I also found this on the FDIC website.. FDIC CRA ratings The last three reviews were "Needs to improve" does not give me much confidence in their ability to operate a bank.

There is other stuff out there like this.. Complaints board

I did some checking too and that post is basically a load of crap. The Cabela's "bank" is set up solely to satisfy Fed Regs about credit card issuance. The CRA (Community Reinvestment Act) has basically zero relevance to a credit card only bank. Cabela's has had the WFB since 2001 and it seems to be doing fine. Given that Cabela's has over 2 million Cabela's credit card users, it is not surprising that some of them are not happy. Admittedly WFB was probably too aggessive in trying to collect payments from deadbeats in the past, but IMO if you don't pay what you owe, then many of the "illegal" actions should be allowed. Not paying for what you purchased equals a thief IMO.

I'm not defending Cabela's but if someone buys a fair amount of outdoors gear, their card is a good way to "save" a bit towards those purchases and get a 2% discount on them when you make them using the card. It's a good marketing tool for Cabela's that works well for Cabela's customers.

Anyone who doesn't pay off his credit card balance every month needs to seriously review his budgeting and spending habits. Paying the near usurious rates on credit card balances is REALLY DUMB.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have Capitol One

I can't stad Alec Baldwin.....but

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
For reasons unknown to me, within the past few years several of my credit cards have been compromised. Some things you may consider:

1. With American Express, there was no muss and no fuss. The erroneous charges never even made it on to my bill and I got a new card fairly soon.

2. With one of my VISA cards, I had to make a couple of phone calls before the mess was straightened out.

3. When my Cabela's card was compromised, I got papers I was supposed to fill out and return to them. If I didn't do it within 90 days, I would be liable for the charges.

I've liked my Cabela's card because I have a place about a mile from one and shop there often but that's probably the only place I'll be using that card from now on. Also, unlike some cards, the Cabela's card charges foreign transaction fees unlike my Marriott VISA card so guess which one I use when I do business in South Africa?

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
3. When my Cabela's card was compromised, I got papers I was supposed to fill out and return to them. If I didn't do it within 90 days, I would be liable for the charges.

Unless federal law has changed, which I doubt, if you report the lost/stolen/compromised card as soon as it comes to your attention, the MAXIMUM fraudulent charge you can be liable for is $50.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grumulkin:
For reasons unknown to me, within the past few years several of my credit cards have been compromised. Some things you may consider:

Interesting...my Cabela's card has been compromised twice in the 25 years I have had one. In neither instance did I have to call them or send anything in writing.

Both times THEY advised me by phone of charges which did not appear to be within my normal spending habits and I confirmed they were not my purchases. None of those purchases ever made it onto my bill(s) and new cards were issued immediately with absolutely zero hassles or additional work or money on my part.

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Gatagordo: You don't understand the rules.
The Cabelas bank was not set up to satisfy the Fed regs to issue credit cards. That is NOT a fed requirement. It was set up to satisfy VISA & Mastercard regs, as only a BANK can issue a Visa or Mastercard.
And while I completely agree with you that the CRA should not apply to a credit card only bank, As far as the feds go, a bank is a bank and all the regs apply regardless.

I've been in the credit card business since 1972, I know of what I speak. I could go on...

That being said, there are many rewards credit cards out there, and what may work best for you, may not work for me, and visa versa.. Cabelas, Chase, Capital One and whoever else, all have their advantages and disadvantages..

But instead of just talking about it on line, I would suggest that you take your last 3 to 6 credit card statements and run a spreadsheet and see which one works out best for YOU.

NRA Benefactor.

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:

Unless federal law has changed, which I doubt, if you report the lost/stolen/compromised card as soon as it comes to your attention, the MAXIMUM fraudulent charge you can be liable for is $50.

It's still $50 Max... Comes under the Fair Credit Billing Act.

(It can be much higher for Debit/ATM cards if not reported within 2 business days, so you should never use your ATM card for anything except cash access at an ATM.)

But even though it comes to your attention and you report it promptly, the bank may require you to fill out an affidavit.. rules vary by bank...

NRA Benefactor.

One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pa.Frank:
It's still $50 Max... Comes under the Fair Credit Billing Act.

(It can be much higher for Debit/ATM cards if not reported within 2 business days, so you should never use your ATM card for anything except cash access at an ATM.)

But even though it comes to your attention and you report it promptly, the bank may require you to fill out an affidavit.. rules vary by bank...

In my case it was on only two charges at Target. I'm not sure it was directly related to the other Target fiasco since to the best of my recollection, I've NEVER bought anything at Target and I'm the only one that uses that card. Two charges may not be that much of a hassle; if there were more charges, it could be a real time waster.

I've gotten rid of the only Debit card I had.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote