New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ammo shipping Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
O.K. here we go again. I went to the UPS store to send my cousin a couple of boxes of 9MM as they are unavailable where she lives. So I went to the UPS store + they told me they couldn't ship it. WHY?! Because although they are a UPS store, they are really not a UPS store. I said these are components + they said that company policy was that ANYTHING related to guns + shooting was strictly verboden. I think I smell a left wing politician in the woodpile.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
when i lived in beeville i sold a dillon 1050 online (dammitt) and took it to a UPS store there. same story. "gun related". says UPS on the sign but its really not. its like a privately owned franchise with its own set of rules.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
USPS ships. I think their medium size priority box ships for 9 bucks.

~Ann

Posts: 19170 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
randy, same here in san angelo with the franchise stores.. the "real" ups will take it,, but you gotta have the "ord" sticker on it and pay for an adult signature on the receivers end... the adult signature is another $6-7..

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2830 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the problem with UPS is you have to know their policies and you have to explain it to the idiot behind the counter.

I worked for UPS for a while and I wish I had half of the ammo I schlepped to the front of a trailer during that time frame.

they also ship long guns no problem, I helped unload the ones we got at the club a couple of days back.

Posts: 4980 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
USPS ships. I think their medium size priority box ships for 9 bucks.

They will not ship ammunition.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14387 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No they won't + the medium cost is $15.50. As per/se 'the idiot behind the counter' about 15 years ago I had bought a pair of consec. ser. # 2nd model peacemakers that had the old rubber grips + I wanted Ivory (of course!) UPS would not let me ship them back to Hartford. The goober at the counter actually said, "We cant send guns through the mail. That's how terrorists get their guns you now." If it were not so sad I would laugh.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
randy, you have a pm

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2830 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shipped quite a bit of ammo through USPS recently. No issues.

~Ann

Posts: 19170 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have to go to a hub, not a privately owned box store.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Did they know what was in the box? Maybe there was a rule change, and I missed it?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14387 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did they know what was in the box? Maybe there was a rule change, and I missed it?

not sure if there was any kind of rule change, but the franchise stores usually refuse.... we print our own shipping labels, have the "ord" sticker on the box, and buy the "adult signature required"... and take them to the ups hub...

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
quote:

I never tell them what's in the box. None of their damn business! They never ask me anything beyond is the item fragile. Well, F yeah, it's always fragile. That said, my local usps is used to me since I ship rare breed poultry across the country.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried to ship a rifle scope a few years back from one of those UPS franchise stores. They were not having it, no amount of explanation would matter. Now I never tell anyone what is the box. If they press i make something up like shoes...... Like Ann said, none of their business

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BTW - every package containing ammo that I shipped made it to the destination.

I keep several sizes of priority boxes and pack them here at home. They are free and you can order them mailed to you off the USPS website if needed. That said, I do think shipping costs are higher than they should be.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann, I agree. Shipping costs should be relatively fair. I understand that I can't drive to Utah for 55 cents howeverprofit has always been in volume. The problem that we have with the current USPS is ineffiency at damned near every level I have seen (mark me, I don't work in the P.O. , only observe the chaos). But yet + still, government be as it is requires inefficiency be rewarded; in the terms of higher postal rates for everything related to the mail service. That being said, if I know anything bout government spending + I do; please don't give grief to the ladies or guys behind the counter at the P.O. They are NOT on a gravy train, the upper echelon most likely is but don't trod on the peons (that's us). Oh + BTW, my cousin got the pkg. today + called + we had a conference call with other family members + EVERYONE was happy for the box as we know all too well that most is not available.

one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
quote:

I never tell them what's in the box. None of their damn business! They never ask me anything beyond is the item fragile. Well, F yeah, it's always fragile. That said, my local usps is used to me since I ship rare breed poultry across the country.

Ann, you might get away with it, but it is against USPS regulations. If one of these "none of their business" boxes ever breaks open or gets X-ray examination, you may find the Postal Inspection Service making it very much "their business"!

While I am philosophically on your side in this, I want you to know the risk you are taking to save a few pennies (USPS is sometimes MORE expensive than UPS) and the cost of printing your own ORM-D sticker.

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
J.P. Sauer & Sohn Type B- 9.3x64mm
ArmaLite AR-10A4- 7.62x51mm
Franchi Highlander- 12 Ga.
Marlin 1894 CB Limited- .41 Magnum
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

An honest man learns to keep his horse saddled.

Posts: 593 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
the cost of printing your own ORM-D sticker.

Orm-D stickers are no longer allowed.

There are new making requirements.

Just do a search and you well find them.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 3584ELK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
the cost of printing your own ORM-D sticker.

Orm-D stickers are no longer allowed.

There are new making requirements.

Just do a search and you well find them.

Interesting, I shipped 37 pounds of ammo last Friday from the UPS Customer Center, in accordance with their latest policies, and the boxes had the black and white triangle on them. My use of the term ORM-D is obsolete, but the correct haz-mat sticker (is this acceptable nomenclature?) as described is declared in UPS policy. And yes, I can print the effing things and apply them with clear tape if I wish.

Merkel 140A- .470NE
Beretta Vittoria- 12 Ga.
J.P. Sauer & Sohn Type B- 9.3x64mm
ArmaLite AR-10A4- 7.62x51mm
Franchi Highlander- 12 Ga.
Marlin 1894 CB Limited- .41 Magnum
Remington 722- .244 Rem.
and many, many more.

An honest man learns to keep his horse saddled.

Posts: 593 | Location: Lake Andes, SD | Registered: 15 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just one more case of the left hand not knowing what the right's doing. I have to agree with Ann; Fxxk them, they don't need to know whats in my box. I tried to send a bottle of Texas 'Llano estacato' wine to a friend in N.Y. about 12 years ago + was told that that is a HAZ-MAT substance. Give me a break! Just like the above mentioned that they consider any components as haz-mat. The lunatics are running the asylum.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Heck the new markings are so simple a black marker can do.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ship my elderberry wine USPS with no issues either.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann, do you make your own elderbery wine? If so how much to buy a couple of bottles? I mainly prefer a glass of burgundy at the end of the day; but would like to try yours. Thanks, R.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yessir, I make my own. Grow my own berries too. I don't sell it. I generally trade or just plain gift. I sent Ron (Tasunka) a bottle several weeks back and he sent me some of his home brewed Montana chokecherry.

I would describe this wine as quite dry. It is also very strong alcohol wise. I've seen several friends learn a lesson about not listening to me about that! I am getting ready to get two more 5 gallon carboys going. I also make elderberry syrup and jelly. The syrup is wonderful on ice cream and oatmeal, especially steel cut.

I will send you a bottle sooner or later.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Ann, I'm looking forward to it.

one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Like my first CPA advised me. it's not was you do it's what you call it. One year for Christmas my corporation gave me a beautiful wood and steel sculpture made by Colt. I sent some cast bullets to a friend out West and to remove any potential hassels I described them as self lubricated castings. Casings become copper zinc extrusions. Have fun and be creative.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote