THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    72 years ago today, June 18, 1940.........

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

72 years ago today, June 18, 1940......... Login/Join 
one of us
posted
quote:
What General Weygand has called the Battle of France is over. I expect that the Battle of Britain is about to begin. Upon this battle depends the survival of Christian civilization. Upon it depends our own British life, and the long continuity of our institutions and our Empire. The whole fury and might of the enemy must very soon be turned on us. Hitler knows that he will have to break us in this island or lose the war. If we can stand up to him, all Europe may be freed and the life of the world may move forward into broad, sunlit uplands.

But if we fail, then the whole world, including the United States, including all that we have known and cared for, will sink into the abyss of a new dark age made more sinister, and perhaps more protracted, by the lights of perverted science. Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves, that if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, This was their finest hour.

Winston Churchill

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
And 200 years ago today was the start of the War of 1812.

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
something wrong with the math-----2012 minus 80 does not equal 1940.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You're right. My bad. I changed the heading. Confused

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the greatest speeches ever written. The resolve of Churchill and the English nobility, saved England. Queen Elizabeth drove an ambulance. They didn't flee to secret bomb shelters like our members of congress had built during the cold war.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good point wasbeeman + not only saved England but the world as we know it.We know that there was much more to it than that but without the Battle Of Britain the rest would just be conjecture.And yes Churchill was a most excellent orator as well as a brilliant statesman.

Posts: 4233 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did pick up a 70th anniversary edition of Casablanca....just because!

Posts: 4233 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sir Winston labored mightily on his speeches, working on the cadence, texture, etc. I have a tape of some of his speeches. Now owuld be as good a time as any to dig it out. Then I'll have to find a device that will play it.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
And his writings too, as English as English should be. And nothing against the likes of Mark Twain et al.

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A life well lived. To have been at Obdurman, the Boer war, MP, cabinet minister and PM durng the war and still found time to write dozens of books is unique and impressive.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the Boer War was not one of England's shining moments. They blueprinted the concentration camps for Hitler.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Churchills 21st Lancers (I believe that is the correct unit designation)was awarded three out of four Victoria Crosses passed out for Omdurman. While Churchill was not a recipient, I don't think many know about his distinguished service in the Sudan as a young officer.

I only wish we had someone with similar leadership who could guide us through the difficult times ahead, especially in light of last Tuesday's disaster.

The stupidity of the American people never ceases to amaze me, and I'm a trial lawyer.

Posts: 10029 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Amen Lavaca

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GOD, would that we could see our president as at least a shadow of Churchill.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes Ritch you are quite correct about the British use of the conzentationlagger...effective too.as well as what really made the deciding factor;closing off the ports to stop the ammunition flow.Call me paranoid if you will but as of Dec. 31st 2011,lead wheel weights were outlawed.Perhaps too strong a word but the government has replaced them with a pot metal variety.BTW,Churchill was hell on the Irish as well which is one thing that I do disapprove of in his administration.