THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    How To Keep Boot Laces From Coming Loose

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How To Keep Boot Laces From Coming Loose Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
A nuclear engineer friend of mine was taught boot lace tying by an Army instructor. The Army doesn't like their men stopping in mid-mission to bend over and re-tying their boots, so a technique was provided.
Perhaps it will help hunters too.
The technique is on a YouTube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...ature=youtu.be&t=19s

Bob Nisbet
DRSS & 348 Lever Winchester Lover
Temporarily Displaced Texan
If there's no food on your plate when dinner is done, you didn't get enough to eat.

Posts: 830 | Location: Texas and Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What most of us do is simply double tie them. Works and is slightly faster.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shack:
What most of us do is simply double tie them. Works and is slightly faster.

But the Youtube version is neater.

Support the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation

Posts: 272 | Location: Central KY | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tying an additional overhand knot in the loops (Double tying)
is both faster to accomplish and not prone to untying itself when walking in brush that tends to "grab" the free end.

The method shown still leaves one loop vulnerable to getting snagged and pulled, and thus untying the shoes.

The only advantage to the method shown is that the shoes can be untied quickly by pulling that one free end.

Double knotting the laces cannot often be untied quickly and that is generally the point.

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I "double knot" mine. Never had a problem.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan DeGroot:

The method shown still leaves one loop vulnerable to getting snagged and pulled, and thus untying the shoes.

I agree about one loop being vulnerable.

For the past 20 years I have been using a method similar to the video, but instead of going under the loose end and back through the hold, I go over the loose end and back through the hole.

This knot comes undone when you pull booth loose ends, but it will never come undone by itself.

Here is a link.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back in the 70s my uncle taught me a way for boots what he called the Maine guide knot.

One take the opposite lace make a loop push the loop through the opposite eye take the end put them through the opposite loops.

Pull them tight They don't come loose and are very easy to get untied.

Posts: 19392 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why do I think we've got way too much time on our hands?

If I can't tie my shoes without them coming undone, I'm either four years old; or can no longer reach my shoes. In either case, this discussion won't help.

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:

If I can't tie my shoes without them coming undone, I'm either four years old; or can no longer reach my shoes. In either case, this discussion won't help.

wave
latest attraction at the Senior Center: remedial shoe tying for young and old.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kudos for thinking that up. A great one for activities at the nursing home. In between nap times...

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:

Its been below zero here for almost two weeks straight. yea a bit of time

Posts: 19392 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My problem with tying shoes is time duration.

I gotta tie 'em fast. I can't breathe when I am bent over!!!!!!

Kinda like folding a grapefruit! Big Grin

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
My problem with tying shoes is time duration.

I gotta tie 'em fast. I can't breathe when I am bent over!!!!!!

Kinda like folding a grapefruit! Big Grin

tu2

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
When wearing boots, the problem I have experienced is that the laces come untied by catching grass or brush. If a loose end gets pulled the knot comes undone. If a loop gets pulled then it leaves a long lace flapping around. So, after spending decades walking, running, and crawling through woods, brush, and grasses, I have come upon a very simple and effective method of tying boots.

1. Tighten the laces by pulling them, cross them over and under just as you would in the first part of a standard lace knot, and pull tight.
2. Pass each lace around the back, just below the top of the boot, and bring back into the forward position. If the back of the boot has a pull strap then pass them through that too.
3. Tie a square knot. The laces are now short enough that they won't flap around. If you want to bring them in more then tie a half-hitch with each end.

The laces will not untie nor pull loose. The square knot is easily untied. Just be careful not to tie them in a Granny knot.

This method has worked for me on six continents.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't been doing that on six continents, but I have done it for six decades. Upland hunting, bird, deer, etc. I suspect we all have. But, it takes real long laces to wrap all the way around. My boots allow the square knot to be tied in back after going thru the boot straps.

I'll tell you the best thing about extra long boot laces.

After twenty years my left boot sole got soaked on the worst rain I've ever dove hunted in. And it fell off. Inner layer was decayed. So I take off the lace and use it to tie the sole to the boot and on we go with the hunt.

..anyway, an untied boot lace was the least of the problems...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
When wearing boots, the problem I have experienced is that the laces come untied by catching grass or brush. If a loose end gets pulled the knot comes undone. If a loop gets pulled then it leaves a long lace flapping around. So, after spending decades walking, running, and crawling through woods, brush, and grasses, I have come upon a very simple and effective method of tying boots.

1. Tighten the laces by pulling them, cross them over and under just as you would in the first part of a standard lace knot, and pull tight.
2. Pass each lace around the back, just below the top of the boot, and bring back into the forward position. If the back of the boot has a pull strap then pass them through that too.
3. Tie a square knot. The laces are now short enough that they won't flap around. If you want to bring them in more then tie a half-hitch with each end.

The laces will not untie nor pull loose. The square knot is easily untied. Just be careful not to tie them in a Granny knot.

This method has worked for me on six continents.

I think I would black out before I got all that accomplished! I'll just use pull ons!

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wore Red Wing, slip-ons, most of my career, but about five years ago one of our safety guys recommended a Finnish company called Sievi. They had a steel-toed boot that had a zipper on the side, but laces on the front. I think it was called the Aurora. You laced it once, to get the fit, and from then on you just zipped it off and on. It was great when you were on the rigs because you were constantly going from the drill floor or below decks, to the accommodation, and having to take your boots off each time. The guys that worked on the rigs full-time thought the Sievi didn't hold up as well as lace-ups, particularly in synthetic oil-based mud, but they were damn-sure convenient. I still wear mine when working outside at home.

Just a side-note. Many of our guys, including myself, for years, preferred slip-ons because of all the tying and untying with lace-ups all day long. Unfortunately, we had so many rolled-ankles I had to outlaw slip-ons. They just didn't provide the support that lace-ups do.

The only lace-ups I own now are hunting boots, and every time I go to tie them I've got to take out my smart phone, or car keys, or something from my pockets so I can bend over to tie them. They're a pain.

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I now make things easy on myself. No more lace up boots.

I have been tempted to order a pair of Filson bird boots, but don't want to go back to messing with laces.

These days, for really cold or wet stuff, it's the high thick rubber kind. Redball insulated camos. Otherwise Farm & Ranch Justins. I wear them constantly out yonder. Slip right on and off. You just have to be careful where you step because of no ankle support. But I've gotten used to them. They're OK.