Find
Notify
Tools

Sad state of affairs Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Got this emailed to me from a local gun shop/gun range

IMPORTANT SAFETY MESSAGE

EOSS was made aware of an incident at a Florida shooting range where a patron was followed home from the range, physically assaulted, and had their firearm stolen.

We have opted to mention this event, and to make our clients aware so that they – so that YOU – can make informed decisions about your safety and security.

The shooting range is a recreational activity. It is fun! We go to ranges to enjoy our hobbies. We all understand the underlying components of firearm use and ownership. We regretfully acknowledge that there are those that prey on others and will use any tool or opportunity, including a firearm, to overpower their victims. We also acknowledge that this is the same reason that many of us use and carry firearms ourselves; to defend against predators.

To that end, we want to share some reminders about personal safety and security in your day-to-day activities.

• Make yourself constantly aware of your surroundings!
• Vary your travel routes
• If you think you are being followed, do not drive home. Go to a public place and call 911.
• Do not leave guns in your car if you have any option
• If you are licensed to do so, carry a firearm with you.
• If you own a firearm make sure you know how the gun functions and operates, and practice regularly – marksmanship skills degrade without practice.
• Be cautious whom you tell about gun ownership. Is the Glock sticker on the back window of the car a deterrent or an invitation for theft?

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Thank you. Very noteworthy message.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"PHTSICALLY ASSAULTED".......Assault this.....

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Also the rumor has been going around for years that NRA + related gun bumper stickers were prone to having their cars broken into.Well,I'm a life member of the NRA + TSRA + even have TSRA license plates + (knock on wood) I have not had my vehicle vandalized.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NormanConquest
You may get away with that in Texas. I wouldn't in the peoples republic of Seattle.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its kind of a crap shoot. I have a friend whose car was broken into downtown for the loose change in his consule.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We have to stay on our toes, and avoid patterns when possible. If you shoot with friends on a set day, at the same time, and go to the same restaurant afterwards, you're asking for it. Someone will figure that out. Trust no one. Don't put temptation in anyone's way.

It is a sad state of affairs.

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Always carry one loaded handgun.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12543 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MMM
posted Hide Post
If I go to a public range or a club to shoot I don't ever shoot up all my ammunition, I have my carry pistol and two magazines full at the end. I hope everyone does the same!

Posts: 172 | Location: north MS | Registered: 28 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My ex wife was always pissed because I lived life staying in condition orange (NO ONE can stay in cond. red forever but orange you can).Now this is from a bint who lived her whole life in condition white.When I took in her kids from the previous marriage they were more than ready to learn.So after bringing them up + giving firearms training,they all left with a pistol all their own.If firearms training does not come from parents or parent approved instructors then where will the next generation be?....O.K. here is a very precious trip down memory lane for me. In my childhood/teen, I would go to the base USAF range after hours.(My dad was a Col.) The old tops would supply you with a mod.# 521 if I recall,single shot 22 W/ receiver sights,bull bbl.(of course everything is bigger when you're a kid)[+30 rounds free per day] + was taught proper prone shooting stance,kneeling (use your sling)+ the most important lesson of all;breath control.Those "Old" men taught me ALL the fundamentals + I thank God for the association.