Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Find The Word "Freaking" Offensive Login/Join 
one of us
posted
Seems like the latest word to use in all instances, for emphasis, is the word "freaking". I'm tired of it. If you want to use the F-word, man-up, and just say it, and take the consequences. Don't act like a pre-teenage girl, or try to camouflage what you mean.

This morning it was used in a commentary related to the BCS championship game last night. It was a great game, but it wasn't "freaking unbelievable".

I've got two grown daughters starting to use it now. It is going to drive me insane; or maybe I'll just disown them.

Any other commonly used words or phrases get you on edge?

I get first dibs on the word "twerking" also.

Posts: 13781 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seriously? You mean you don't think twerking is, like, freaking awesome? You probably don't like "selfie" either.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's freaking me out! Big Grin

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My HS age nephews use the term "friggin'". In front of their parents.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For some reason "freaking me out" seems perfectly normal. But today on CNBC one of the highly professional, ivy league educated, good looking, talking heads in a skirt, commented that it was freaking cold outside. If I was her producer I would have told her to skip the valley-girl imitation or find another job.

I should have gotten dibs on "selfie" too. I hate that one also.

To me freakin and friggin are one and the same
and goes with f-ing. Why these three bother me and the f-word itself is used way to often in my own vocabulary is beyond me. Probably other people wish I would quit using it.

I liked it about twenty years ago when I first met my wife. English cuss-words didn't mean anything to her. I got away with murder for a while, then her English improved, and mine kept going down hill.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO being freaked out is totally different in intent and definition from it's freaking cold.

I guess I'm stupid (surprise, surprise) but what is a selfie?

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
I don't mind any of it as long as its not overly repetitive.

I'm like she's like, we're all like that movie is totally like,.....

Know what I'm saying? I'm hungry, know what I'm saying? We should get a Big Mac, know what I'm saying?

What the fuck did you just fucking do you fucking idiot?!?!?! That's my fuckin' car you just hit with your fucking car you dumb fucking fuck!

The beauty of the English language is that instead of there being one word that can be used to describe four different things, in English there are 40 words for the same item.

Branch out fellas, diversify. If your really feeling sexy, add a different language or two. I've never had a better ass chewin' than the ones delivered in multiple dialects.

Posts: 9121 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Come on, Man.

Y'all swole up and in a conniption fit that has you catty whompus about the state of the English language.

Fess up, Dawg, Bro, Homey. Y'all fit to be tied and fixin to throw a hissy fit just cause y'all whompjawed 'bout shit the young 'uns be rappin today.

Ain't saying. Just saying. Casual research on the evolution of language(s) can be very interesting.

Language evolves. Who of us would want to speak like they did in jolly old England?

I'm not defending anything.........."just saying".

But your point, at least in today's context, is...actually...like...I'm all...I mean...like....freaking amazing. Dude.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TWL:
Come on, Man.

Y'all swole up and in a conniption fit that has you catty whompus about the state of the English language.

Fess up, Dawg, Bro, Homey. Y'all fit to be tied and fixin to throw a hissy fit just cause y'all whompjawed 'bout shit the young 'uns be rappin today.

Ain't saying. Just saying. Casual research on the evolution of language(s) can be very interesting.

Language evolves. Who of us would want to speak like they did in jolly old England?

I'm not defending anything.........."just saying".

But your point, at least in today's context, is...actually...like...I'm all...I mean...like....freaking amazing. Dude.

Perhaps a little dated, ( like I'd really know,.... I live in Dillingham AK, ) but based on that caveat,......

Well Played Sir.

Actually, I'd like to be able to speak like they did in Jolly old England. I'd be able to drone on for hours, nay, ad nauseum, and not a single Dawg would understand a word of it.

Hey seriously, how much would you like to be able to jam up to some Brutha and rattle three or thirteen lines of Shakespeare's Macbeth and then just walk away. No explanation, no reason, just whack him with some Classics and then freaking boogie.

Posts: 9121 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am truly saddened by the deterioration of our Southern language. Perhaps it can be attributed to his location outside of the land of the true Southern Belles with more than one pair of honeyed lips......at any rate, ANY FREAKING TRUE SOUTHERNER KNOWS IT IS "WHOMPERJAWED", not "whompjawed". The shame of it all...... Big Grin

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try watching "Gold Rush" this Friday. "Frickin" (not "freaking") is every other word out of Toad's mouth...I think they may have asked him to cool it...those who watch it know..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The earliest reference I can find, is in "Lady Chatterly's Lover" where it says "she had her freakout and was thoroughly satiated."

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
One of my grown daughters said "freaking" a lot for a while, but I think it has passed.

I don't get out much, and I've never liked the F word, but sadly have used it when "pitchin' a fit", however, my children tell me that it's just accepted now as part of speech. That's pretty sad.

I went to Spencer's to buy a cheap, clean, gag gift for a guy's birthday. I hadn't stepped inside of one for many, many years. Holy crapola, it's just a slightly watered down sex shop in there, or a "marital aids" store in polite society.Every coffee mug and 90% of the tshirts had the F word on it.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The earliest reference I can find, is in "Lady Chatterly's Lover" where it says "she had her freakout and was thoroughly satiated."
That was 1928.

Now this is not "frickin", but it goes back farther. Try "Company Aytch", the famous 1800s Civil War memoirs of Priv. Sam Watkins, Confederate Army. His description of a visit to a cathouse really got down with it even for today, but he said it all in easily transparent "coded" language...it's considered the classic for describing sex in the Civil War.

He's that guy who said he never shot at officers, only privates, because they were the ones shooting at him.

One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
OP, your just getting old.

Posts: 1432 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Back in the day " it was "A-OK" that was dumb !

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't find these offensive, just overused...

- Awesome

-at the end of the day...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Listen to my wife and her friends talk, and everything that happens, or that they see is "amazing". I first thought they were just referring to me, but learned that apparently everything is "amazing".

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
The word is Friggin' I know, because I lived in New Hampsha for 20+ yeaaahs. Not freakin, not fricken, but friggin'as in wicked friggin' awesome. LOL

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote