New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texas State income tax Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
This is primarily for Texan voters. It seems that some nefarious creatures are trying to instate a state income tax + are doing it with backdoor policies. The election hat will be held on 11/5/19 will include Prop. 4 R/e state income tax. The kicker here is that in true legal doublespeak, a YES vote supports the amendment to permanently ban a state income tax. If you vote NO (thinking that you are voting against the ban you are in fact voting for a state income tax. I really feel that Texas voters be aware of what's trying to be pulled. I will admit that in other states that have a 1% state income tax off of their Federal, that's O.K. but they also are released from property taxes at the same, me time. That does not appear to be the case here. It is just another tax on top of the property tax. Just be aware before you go to the polls.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up! I always read these propositions thoroughly.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey George! When did you come to texas? You do realize that a "relocation" can't become a true Texan until you've stuck your finger into a bullet hole in the alamo????

Get busy young man, we're glad to have ya'!

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And...uhm...by the way......

NO DAMNED STATE INCOME TAX ON THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS!!!!!!!

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's why I'm passing this along. We all need to be aware or we WILL get shit on.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the update. More insidious attempts at wealth redistribution.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
More insidious attempts at wealth redistribution.

Like climate change.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is what I've found.

What would Proposition 4 change?

As of 2019, the Texas State Constitution requires the state legislature to put legislation enacting an income tax before voters as a statewide referendum, which voters could approve or reject. Referring the referendum to voters requires a simple majority vote (50%+1) in each legislative chamber.[1]

Proposition 4 would replace the referendum requirement with a ban on enacting an income tax on individuals. Removing the ban in the future would require a constitutional amendment, which needs a two-thirds vote in each legislative chamber and voter approval.[

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
And...uhm...by the way......

NO DAMNED STATE INCOME TAX ON THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS!!!!!!!

Amen to that! !

I hope you Texans can preserve whatever tax advantages you have for as long as you can!

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do too. Our property taxes alone are already out of sight. Mine is pretty high even out here in the country but I have a friend in Austin that has a house on a lot right off of Barton Springs that she has been paying over 15K a year on property taxes, so to supplement her income she rents out rooms when SXSW or ACL, or other music venues come to town. So now the city of Austin is instating an additional "Hotel Tax" on people that rent out rooms.

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I hope you guys win that fight. Many years ago we had no income tax in PA. When our greedy politicians passed the income tax there was no reduction in property taxes. We now have a 3.07% income tax with only minor deductions, a 6% sales tax and high property taxes.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2305 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, I forgot to mention; my CPA told me of this new one. Travis County now has a view tax. That's right, a tax on your view. My 1st thought was so who is going to construe what a view is? The answer, the taxman. From what he told me, it passed because the promoters presented as it only to affect the rich in the Northwest Hills area, etc. But NO, once you get a bill passed it affects everyone.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i googled this and can't find anything on it. wouldn't doubt it though. surprised they haven't put in a fart tax. welcome to nyc in the hill country.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a friend that did a college thesis several years ago about taxation on a single product. He chose to use cotton. He produced records of every tax applied every time it changed hands from the seed to the finished garment with taxation at every step. It was phenomenal the amount.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Governments have a never ending appetite for money.

No matter how much they get it is never enough.

The only way to control them is to keep the supply limited.

Posts: 19392 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I totally agree but when your vote doesn't seem to count anymore, how do you keep the fox out of the henhouse? SERIOUSLY!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had to close my eyes for a moment + reminisce. "There was only one clause + it was a good one." It was Catch 22.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a mailing from the Office of the Secretary of State last week that contains "brief explanation of the proposed constitutional amendments that will appear on the November 5, 2019 ballot."

It says the proposed amendment will appear on the ballot as follows: "The constitutional amendment prohibiting the imposition of an individual income tax, including a tax on an individual's share of partnership and unincorporated association income."

Sounds like a YES vote to me...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My point exactly; the doublespeak is designed to get you to vote in opposition to your true opinions. That truly is criminal behavior.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As an addendum on this topic, I noticed all the signs on the highway for passing more bonds for road work. HMMM, Now the toll system that we already paid for was sold to Spain, so they get the toll dollars. Buddy in TxDOT informed me that when the time limit runs out + we take it back, that is at the point when all the repairs are due to occur (our bill again). Back to the top; NO ONE wants more taxes but I'll bet you a dollar to a doughnut that the bills will pass, primarily as Joe Stalin said, "Votes don't count; Who counts the votes counts."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
As an addendum on this topic, I noticed all the signs on the highway for passing more bonds for road work. HMMM, Now the toll system that we already paid for was sold to Spain, so they get the toll dollars. Buddy in TxDOT informed me that when the time limit runs out + we take it back, that is at the point when all the repairs are due to occur (our bill again). Back to the top; NO ONE wants more taxes but I'll bet you a dollar to a doughnut that the bills will pass, primarily as Joe Stalin said, "Votes don't count; Who counts the votes counts."

Hey Texans; welcome to being "Californicated"....
Happening big time here in the newly re-branded "Peoples Republic of Colorado"
- Mike

Posts: 296 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 13 April 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
R/E prop. 4, I was talking with a buddy the other night + he mentioned that the dirty pool wording to make you vote against your real beliefs is now going quite big on facebook. More folks are becoming aware. The point Jim made + I agree, READ the proposed bill carefully on 11/5. They know everyone is becoming aware of the scam + I wouldn't put it past them to change a few words at the last minute to get you to vote wrong again. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Hey George! When did you come to texas? You do realize that a "relocation" can't become a true Texan until you've stuck your finger into a bullet hole in the alamo????

sorry, JTEX, I hadn't subscribed to notifications.

We moved here last October (from Las Vegas). Except for all the illegals, humidity, rain, and yahoos driving lifted pickup trucks 90mph, we love it here.

I believe I stuck my finger in a bullet hole at the Alamo back in 1990; does that count?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just received a post from my property attorney that to be on the lookout for a bill on the voting ballot concerning water conservation in the Trinity Sands aquafer. With all the people moving here (150 a day in Austin alone) we really need to address the water issue. The developers can't just keep building with no thought for tomorrow. The trinity sands run from south of the red river to around Medina + west to about San Angelo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did anyone hear the voting results on the state income tax? The local newspaper isn't fit for the outhouse.

posted Hide Post
Prop. 1 failed; all others passed.

See TX 2019 ballot initiatives results

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, George. That's a comfort.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
quote:

sorry, JTEX, I hadn't subscribed to notifications.

We moved here last October (from Las Vegas). Except for all the illegals, humidity, rain, and yahoos driving lifted pickup trucks 90mph, we love it here.

I believe I stuck my finger in a bullet hole at the Alamo back in 1990; does that count?

George

Haha!

Yes Sir. 1990 still counts. Welcome!