Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Night Outdoor Security Camera Login/Join 
one of us
posted
Anyone have a recommendation? I was thinking about Blink https://blinkforhome.com/colle...door-security-camera . I was also thinking of just a trail camera possibly. I would like to watch an OLA (outdoor living area) that is about 20' x 45'. A new family has moved into the neighborhood. A boy about 14 appears to be a borderline delinquent. I caught him in my (unfenced) backyard twice in the last four days. Can't seem to keep from snooping around my OLA. I figure at some point something will go missing or get vandalized. I would like to have video evidence to share with the parents or police.

I say borderline delinquent because when you run him off, he likes to stand outside your property line and prance around like an idiot throwing fingers. I have the feeling he didn't get much discipline when he was younger.

Posts: 13784 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ken:

I guess this sounds like Pollyanna, but I would try to engage the kid and become somewhat friendly with him. Maybe offer him a job mowing the yard or raking leaves.

Otherwise, you may have to shoot him and we know we don't want that to happen.

I have no knowledge of security cameras, sorry about that.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was also thinking of just a trail camera possibly.

I have found that looking at many thousands of trail cam pictures is that that make piss poor security cameras.

If you decide to go that route use several so you get pictures from different angles. One cam it is to easy just to get a partial picture that you can't use for ID.

Have them set to take multiple pictures each time they go off.

I have looked at security tapes and many times they are useless one can not ID any thing.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess this sounds like Pollyanna, but I would try to engage the kid and become somewhat friendly with him. Maybe offer him a job mowing the yard or raking leaves

I say borderline delinquent because when you run him off, he likes to stand outside your property line and prance around like an idiot throwing fingers. I have the feeling he didn't get much discipline when he was younger

Might work or just might give him more knowledge to rip you off. A lot of burglaries are performed by neighborhood kids because they know when someone is home or not.

They were always the first ones I looked at when investigating burglaries.

With this type of behavior I would not count on it. Sounds like trouble for sure. Any body who shows you that kind of disrespect. Knows the system and is not afraid of it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
I guess this sounds like Pollyanna, but I would try to engage the kid and become somewhat friendly with him. Maybe offer him a job mowing the yard or raking leaves

I say borderline delinquent because when you run him off, he likes to stand outside your property line and prance around like an idiot throwing fingers. I have the feeling he didn't get much discipline when he was younger

Might work or just might give him more knowledge to rip you off. A lot of burglaries are performed by neighborhood kids because they know when someone is home or not.

They were always the first ones I looked at when investigating burglaries.

With this type of behavior I would not count on it. Sounds like trouble for sure. Any body who shows you that kind of disrespect. Knows the system and is not afraid of it.

I agree 100% with your thoughts and experiences, but, then again, we can only try in this life. Helping a young man onto the straight and narrow path is a effort worth trying IMO, but, like the old saying goes, "Trust everybody but cut the cards". Get some good security cameras.

Kensco may have "poisoned the well" with his, I'm sure, "mild and understanding" initial approaches. He was there, besides him only the shadow knows. And the kid.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
I have a friend that loves to "engage" backyard tresspassers...

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you complained to the cops? Talked to his parents?

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We had some little shits causing trouble in my neighborhood. I didn't worry too much until one Sunday morning, I realized they had tried to break into my car. I put out a trail cam. The very first night I had pictures.

I know who it is. One night these little bastards are going to get a rude awakening.

Posts: 11995 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought if he crosses the line again I would visit with his parents. If that didn't deter him, I would just leave it up to the cops. If I get anyone on camera stealing or damaging anything, I'll let the juvenile justice system handle it.

It's a shame the new kid can't get with the program. I have three teenage boys living to my left. They and their friends have never been a problem in four years. It all goes back to the parents. Their parents told me the first time I met them that if their boys screwed-up, come let them know. I haven't had to yet.

Posts: 13784 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Their parents told me the first time I met them that if their boys screwed-up, come let them know. I haven't had to yet.

When I was handling a lot of juvenile screw ups I could tell with in seconds the ones we would continue to have problems with.

They were the ones that parents said not my kid, your just picking on him because he is ???? fill in the blank.

The parents who stated something like the quoted statement took care of the problem and you did not have any more trouble with their kids.

Meet the new neighbors you well find out very quickly what type of parents they are.

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
problems with car break-ins? or kids checking for unlocked cars in driveway at night?

A conibear trap that will fit in your console, or glove box covered with a tissue or maybe a $10 bill works wonders on the knuckles or fingers.... dancing

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmm. I will look into conibear traps, but, I wonder what one's liability would be?
I would like to expand the discussion to indoor security cameras. I would like some that do NOT look like cameras. Just sitting on the chest somewhere. But, what about storage? I would assume that folks are getting wise to these things.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote