Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Caution buying a gun from Cabelas Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
I didn't know where to put this but I'm in the middle of a Cabelas dispute all should know about. I am a PA resident and bought a gun from Cabela's Thorton CO location. I had it shipped to my local dealer and it arrived today. The gun was considerably over described and upon a closer look I decided not to keep it. The Gun Library at Thorton told me the gun could be "bought back" at the purchase price but there would be no refund of the sales tax since "PA had already been paid". I was told this is Cabela's policy. I did not object to paying the round trip shipping cost since to me that is the cost of the risk buying something sight unseen. This sales tax deal stuns me. I will not spend another penny with Cabelas.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Hmmm if you buy at the store and return they reimburse tax.

So they are saying the title passed to you even if you refused it at your FFL. They call it a "buy back" not return.

Good too know. Poor business in my book.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
That's incorrect. Sales tax is not paid by Cabela's or any store at the transaction level it is paid at the total sales level. Escalate it within Cabela's.

Store's advertise all the time "no sales tax weekend"; they are simply reducing the total reported sales by the reciprocal of the sales tax.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10058 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can you return it in person at the Pa store?

Posts: 1286 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know. The PA store is about 5 hours away. I've only been there once. I should have paid $25 and had the gun transferred to the Wheeling store and looked it over before giving my credit card info. That way it is still theirs and in their system.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Raise hell and keep raising hell. Go as high up the ladder as you can and hope they relent. Compare the photos you saw online (if still available) and the real deal.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All they ha e to do is withhold that amount of your sales tax on their next remittance, I do that often, no big deal.

Scandals is intentionally screwing you.

Posts: 41785 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I read an article when Cabela's opened their Buda store down here Seems that State Of Tx. as a sweetener to move the business here,allowed them to keep the sales tax. Now that might be total B.S. however I know of way too many plants where we have built + installed commercial ventilation systems that were awarded by the municipalities + power companies cut rate electric + property taxes just to move industry into the area.So yeah,I can see where this might be true.I do know that when I was going through my divorce 10 years ago I needed the cash quick. What I did not sell on here I sold to Cabela's. I don't think I got a penny on the dollar;but they are proud when they sell them.That's O.K. I'm a capitalist myself,I know one needs to make a profit.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well day 3 and the store manager who was to call back has not. The customer service department acknowledged my e-mail complaint but no further communication. No one answers phones anymore so obviously the couple messages I left with corporate are being disregarded as well. I give up. My only reasonable remedy is never give them another piece of business. This is not the way they used to do business plus so much of their merchandise is substandard imports. I can live without them!

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
If you paid for the gun with a credit card dispute the charge (lack of a full refund) through your credit card company.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2305 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still had not heard anything from Cabelas so I sent a reply to the boiler plate response I got a week ago. In it I was told the appropriate department would promptly respond to me. I sent a reply today saying I had heard from no one appropriate or inappropriate. Lo and behold a manager for Colorado called me this afternoon. When a gun leaves their system it is treated as sold and can only be bought back less sales tax. I asked if the same applied to a $1500 pair of binoculars and he said of course not so I guess its only guns. When I mentioned the PA has been paid comment from the Gun Library, he dismissed that as a clerk saying the wrong thing. After some sparring he said I could return the gun and they would buy it back and refund the sales tax. It was being done as an accommodation. The manager suggested transferring to a local store and examining it before purchasing in the future. I offered that a local store for me is about a 3.5 hour round trip and if it was accurately described this all would be a non issue. In fairness I was offered my money back. Just be aware of the possible pitfalls since this corporate policy.