Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jacuzzi Question Login/Join 
one of us
posted
Our house has a Jacuzzi whirlpool bath in the master bathroom. I use it sporadically, but last month I tried it and the motor hummed but the pump impeller obviously wasn't turning. I tried a few things, then went to the Internet. They mentioned a few possibilities, and also mentioned, "try hitting the pump with a hammer". I decided to just forget it for a few weeks and work on other issue.

Today I decided was the day, so I went to trying to find a way into the pump. The front decorative wood panels luckily lifted off easily. (My normal style is to break something and then discover it came apart a different way.) What I found was that when the house was being built they installed the pump/motor on the "wrong" end of the tub as far as I'm concerned. I've got plenty of room on the other end, but where they put it, I'm blocked by 2 x 4 uprights, PVC tubing, an electrical outlet, and distance. The pump is at arms length. If I could break it loose, I couldn't extract it without doing some significant remodeling. That left me with, "hit it with a hammer". I could barely reach the pump, had no "swing" to generate much momentum, so I just tapped around the case as best I could. Low and behold when I punched the Start button, the pump on the Jacuzzi fired-up good as new.

Now my question. Can I circulate something like CLR through the system once a month to keep the impeller from locking (or dishwasher detergent, vinegar, etc.)? I'm worried the next time that impeller gets jammed, my tapping may not be enough to free it. I can now tell Plan-B would be a bitch.

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a long ways from being a pump or electric motor guy but I really doubt it is the impeller locking up unless there is something on it, like a piece of plastic or similar, but then it wouldn't work right if it started turning. My guess is that it might be the capacitor, especially given the relatively damp environment. I dunno if this would help or not, but maybe just turning it on for a minute or so once a week might help. Of course my theory is that if a hammer or duct tape won't fix it, call someone who knows what they are doing. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lost okie
posted Hide Post
Not a Jacuzzi guy by any means but I repaired pumps and motors for more than 30 years. Sounds like the chemical buildup on your impellor; has just a few thousandths clearance from the bowl; has locked it up. The light tap of the hammer was just what it needed.
I have seen them with so much crap on them they were unrecognizable for what type of impellor was down there.
Talk to a dealer about flushing agents.
Keep the hammer handy.

Posts: 350 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 01 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Remember in "The longest Day" when that Scottsman wanted that jeep stared + made the comment that "My mum always said if you wanted a mechanical thing to work,give it a good bash!"That being said,the hammer strike most likely broke loose the windings contact from the case.Or you accidentally hit the red reset button.If you have a high calcium level in your water then you might consider a monthly vinegar flush. It will make your dishwasher run forever as well.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That being said,the hammer strike most likely broke loose the windings contact from the case.

I have done the hit it thing on many a vehicle starter you normally get two hits before it quits totally.

I recommend replacing the motor it is going bad.

Posts: 19360 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Again, I am not a motor guy, but if the impeller was locked up, wouldn't the motor hummm or make some kind of noises?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The motor seems to be OK. I think with the hard water we have that non-use for a period of time allowed the impeller to "set". I think I jarred the crap loose around it. There were small black/gray particles floating in the water after I taught it a lesson with the hammer and allowed it to run for a half hour. I definitely didn't hit a reset button. I suspect that was on the opposite end. I couldn't reach that. I was tapping around the outside diameter of the pump like you would crack a hard-boiled egg....if you were really pissed-off.

I think I'm going to do the vinegar thing, or the CLR. I'm just a little worried that CLR is a little harsh.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Today I'm taking lost okie's advice and stop by a spa place and see what they recommend flushing the system with.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Local home repair guru recommended running Tang in the tub to clean it out. Citric acid ? Does get mould and crap in there if it sits, always some water.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
probably need to fill the tub a little and let the water sit for a while to allow the dried-on gunge to soften in the pump and pipework. Then run it , empty it and then use a proprietory flushing agent , or even white vinegar .

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I stopped by a hot tub / spa dealer yesterday and described what I had run into with my Jacuzzi tub. Basically I had a guy staring at me blinking his eyes. Then he asked a lady who I guess knew more about their product than he did. She basically just stood there blinking her eyes, then gave me a phone number for a guy that she thought knew more about Jacuzzi's than she did.

Back to the Internet.

I found I lot of helpful videos. The bottom line seems to be use "Oh Yuk" from Amazon, or either vinegar, or a combination of dishwasher detergent and bleach.

https://www.youtube.com/result...n+a+jacuzzi+bathtub+

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6odPc0hC7Mk

I'm going to try the dishwasher detergent and bleach first, then move on to "Oh Yuk".

I thought about using my one-year-old grand-daughter as my guinea pig, but started feeling kinda guilty, so I think I'll let my wife test the tub out after I de-gunk it. If she seems OK, then I'll give it a go.

one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted Hide Post
Another vote for vinegar. I'm a plumber and it's what we use to flush tankless water heaters.

Posts: 7480 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My two bottles of "Oh Yuk" from Amazon arrived. The instructions called for 4 ounces circulating for 15 minutes. I used 8 ounces and ran the jets for thirty minutes. I couldn't see any gunk being removed from the system. I shut the jets off. I came back thirty minutes later and turned the jets on, but nothing happened, just a motor humming. (Same old problem.)

I got my hammer and went to tapping on the housing, and the jets started. I ran them another fifteen minutes, shut them off and drained the tub of soapy water. I decided to fill the tub again with hot water and run the jets just to get the lines standing with clean water. Naturally, the jets didn't come back on, just a humming sound. I went to tapping again and I heard the reset button fire and the humming stopped.

So much for the Jacuzzi. I'm now faced with a 12" by 18" opening, and a reset button I can't see on the backside of the motor that is five feet from me. I would need a light to drop back in there, something with a mirror on the end of it so I could find the reset button, and a probe like a shepherd's hook to be able to push/pull the reset button towards me to reset it. Basically, I'm goosed.

I never liked that damned Jacuzzi anyway.