Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Died Doing What He/She Loved? Login/Join 
one of us
posted
Is that phrase getting overused, or am I the only one it's bugging? (It came up again in regard to the tornado chasers killed in Oklahoma this past Friday.)

Usually, any death is regrettable. To me it doesn't much matter whether it was on a ski slope, in bed, hunting, fighting a fire, or on the highway. I don't see how that phrase would bring any solace to the people that cared about him or her. I can't imagine that it would mean much to the departed if you could contact them, and tell them that at least they died doing what they loved.

When I started really noticing the irritating use of that phrase was when a young man, about 18 or 19, if I remember correctly, was killed on the streets of Sydney, Australia a few years ago. What he was doing was hanging out drinking with his friends, racing each other (drunk) standing in wheelie-bins (wheeled trash cans), down a steep city street. His wheelie-bin flipped over and he hit his head on the concrete and died. I think I read that comment three of four times just to be sure I read what I thought I read.

I hate an easily avoided death, and it never occurs to me that at least the person died doing what he loved.

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm somewhat on the opposite side. Death is not regrettable, it's certain, the only question is how soon.

Personally, I'd rather die shooting ducks or doves than in a hospital bed with tubes going in and out of various orifices. In my case, at least, I'd think my relatives would be glad to know I went out doing something I enjoyed. Of course, I'm in no rush...... dancing

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The "died doing what he wanted" is a nice sentimentality for the survivors. For the one who died, it's a meaningless phrase. They couldn't get anything out of it because they didn't know it was gonna happen like that.

But that's obvious, no?

So, I'll add this to the mix.

IF I knew for a fact that I was dying and was somehow given the right to pick the manner, any manner, any place, any time in history, I would without hesitation say -

"I choose to let it be with the Marines on Iwo"

I can't think of any better way...

One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
My guess is that those who died doing what they loved would have stayed home if they had known.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Good point Gato, when I went in for cataract surgery 3 years ago ,I was waiting in my humble little gown + watched the other old fart across the way w/the tubes + in + out.I did'nt want to be there for 2 hours let alone....forever. That;s when I threw my cigarettes in the trash.As an addendum,I have a dear friend that is dying from lung cancer that is now in a "home" in Round Rock. Never smoked a cigarette in his life but loved his cigars.He is our age. In his case;you have been diagnosed,7 months max.,your wife just divorced you....how about a cigar? That's what he's doing. Quite frankly,I don't blame him.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Swamp Fox,don't you think that I sweated bullets while my 3 sons were in the zone?Thank God mine came home.That sounds so cheap when other parents have lost theirs.I don't know what to say except what I have just said,I am glad my sons are home safe.I could elaborate but that is not necassary;anyone who loves their children (by western standards) would want them alive.But silly me,speaking as a Christian American parent.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There was a story a couple of years ago about a fellow who expired in his sleeping bag in Yosemite, written up as a tragedy. He had a good day hiking in fine weather, a quiet evening by a campfire, and a well-deserved night's rest. I dunno...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I'd rather go out shooting ducks or camping out than laying in a respirator listening to relatives I haven't seen in decades arguing about the estate. And asking the Dr how much longer is old what's his name gonna live. No, oh no, I'm not cynical. Why do you ask?

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sort of maintain a "protection bubble" around me at all times, dying doesn't sound nice and I say, I just don't want to do something stupid, like running off the road to miss a cat (Portland, Or. news) or walking in front of a moving vehicle even though I have the WALK sign and in the crosswalk

Posts: 557 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington | Registered: 26 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Losing your life over a foolish misjudgment has to be the ultimate regret to flash before your eyes in the last seconds of a perfectly good existence.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shack,
I think you might pick Fox/2/26 of the 5th Marine Division. Of 250 men there were 69 KIA.
Then there were the 2 companies nearly wiped out in Cushman's pocket.

quote:
Originally posted by Shack:
The "died doing what he wanted" is a nice sentimentality for the survivors. For the one who died, it's a meaningless phrase. They couldn't get anything out of it because they didn't know it was gonna happen like that.

But that's obvious, no?

So, I'll add this to the mix.

IF I knew for a fact that I was dying and was somehow given the right to pick the manner, any manner, any place, any time in history, I would without hesitation say -

"I choose to let it be with the Marines on Iwo"

I can't think of any better way...

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I go, I want it to be for a reason, not because I just did something stupid, or decided I needed an adrenaline rush.

I've lived on the edge, and in the fast lane. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Now I like driving down the Interstate on cruise control, at the speed limit, and watch the crazy b*stards fly by, on their way to nowhere important.

If the man in charge would give me 15 to 20 good years, with my mind intact, where do I sign?

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suppose IF a person COULD live every day like it was his/her last; then when the last day finally came it would be neither a surprise nor a shock. J

Posts: 217 | Location: SW of Dodge City | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
If I died while doing what I loved it would would be while doing the opposite of dying.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Swamp Fox,don't you think that I sweated bullets while my 3 sons were in the zone?Thank God mine came home.That sounds so cheap when other parents have lost theirs.I don't know what to say except what I have just said,I am glad my sons are home safe.I could elaborate but that is not necassary;anyone who loves their children (by western standards) would want them alive.But silly me,speaking as a Christian American parent.

Nothing silly about being a concerned Christian parent. tu2

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote