Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cape Buffalo Leather versus Cows Login/Join 
one of us
posted
Hey guys, had a stray thought (my wife would argue that's the only thoughts I have) and wondered...

if cape buffalo are herd animals, and there are tens of thousands in Africa, do they use much of the leather for things over there? how does it compare to domestic cow leather? I was thinking for everyday things like gloves, jackets, restraints dog collars

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
A fair number of guys use it for things like having truck seats recovered etc. For things such as gloves etc, guys tend to use buck leather such as impala etc and if they want something in between they'll use waterbuck or wildebeest etc.

Don't know about restraints though! rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
Many years ago I had a pair of cape buffalo boots (pull on) more or less in an urban cowboy style. The leather was incredibly tough and everything else on the boots wore out before the leather was even starting to look scruffy. That's my only experience with it, so it may or may not have any current applications.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of chukka style shoes made of Buf hide came from Zim. Have had for about 5 years and they are still in great shape. Had a wallet that lasted about 3 years, the thread they used was low quality and came apart. Had it restitch and is going strong. The best shoe that I have found in Africa is the Veldt Shoen made from seal hide, soft, strong enough to turn thorns and are reasonably priced.

Yackman

Posts: 582 | Location: Searcy,AR | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dago Red,

check out Courteney Boots.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My stepfather told me that many years ago there was a boot store local that he used to buy his ropers from and the old guy had them in buffalo, he said the same thing, the leather would last forever.

I was just curious, don't need boots, I was wondering about how suited it was for gloves and other items.

Is it too heavy/stiff for jackets?

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JIm Yackley:
I have a pair of chukka style shoes made of Buf hide came from Zim. Have had for about 5 years and they are still in great shape. Had a wallet that lasted about 3 years, the thread they used was low quality and came apart. Had it restitch and is going strong. The best shoe that I have found in Africa is the Veldt Shoen made from seal hide, soft, strong enough to turn thorns and are reasonably priced.

I guess you must have more money than me...... My wallets last about 10 years! rotflmo

Dago,

It's at least partly about the thickness of the finished leather..... which can be put on a shaver (rather like an inverted electric plane) and shaved down to whatever thickness is required.