THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Best Chicken Fried Steak in Texas or anywhere.......
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Chicken Fried Steak in Texas or anywhere....... Login/Join 
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
Had a very good Chicken Fried Steak last night. It was called a Chicken Fried Ribeye at Sweetie Pies Ribeyes in Decatur.

http://www.sweetiepiesribeyes.com/

It was fork-tender with a thick crust, and absolutely no connective tissue to deal with.

The side of Mac-n-Cheese was good, but nothing special.

The Sautéed Mushrooms WERE special, as were the dinner rolls, and the service. The best of small town friendliness and comfort food. I would have liked to have had dessert, but I was stuffed.

Never heard of it. Gotta try it. Thanks.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Gato, There is a cafe here in Liberty Hill by the RR tracks called "Hobo Depot". They have a good cfs but I would not call it excellent. However once they got a write up in Texas Monthly it was 'Katy bar the door.'I won't wait an hour or better to eat.The novelty has worn off now + so one can get a decent chicken fried in a reasonable amount of time.If you are down this way + not too ticked with me for our past planned meetings over BBQ that I could'nt make, I would be glad to stand you dinner.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just had my first breakfast at the Sunview Café in Allen, Texas.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Sh...afe-Allen_Texas.html

I ordered the chicken fried steak. It comes with two eggs any style. I chose hash browns and biscuits as my sides.

The CFS was a little small, but I suspect that was because I was ordering off the breakfast menu instead of the lunch menu. A few bites were chewier than I like. The flavor was OK as was the crust. They hand-batter their own CFS, but the crust didn't stay in place as well as I would have liked.

My eggs over-medium were perfect. The biscuits were above average and the hash browns were good.

The service was excellent. The environment was new, upscale North Texas rural, with FM road signs and other touches. I'll be back with the wife some time. I probably won't get the CFS.

They were busy for it being 10:00am.

Posts: 13775 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DuggaBoye:
CFS

Old Jody's in Temple used to be great

Maxine's in Bastrop

Peabody's in Goldthwaite

I'm told the Cactus is now closed in San Saba -- to bad, was known really for TexMex
but had a great CFS
If you like Peabodys, drive about 20 miles west and try The Diamond R cafe in Zephyr,Texas.

Posts: 117 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 19 April 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Is the Diamond R the gas station cafe? I only know of that and Lonesome Dove in Zephyr.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Longhorn Cafe- Harper
Buffalo Nickel- Fredericksburg

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
5) David Beards Catfish Village, 16192 Hwy 1155 N (about a mile E of 259), Ore City, Tx
*** 3 Stars

About a week back, we stopped in at David Beard's Catfish Village in Ore City, Tx. They have really excellent fried catfish and are one of the relatively few places that serves whole fish (fiddlers). Ignoring the obvious choice, and in the interest of CFS science, I ordered a double CFS ($16.49).

It was good and while not as large as some, seemed a bit thicker. Tender, well breaded.....a good product and worth ordering if you don't want the fish, but not top quality.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
5) David Beards Catfish Village, 16192 Hwy 1155 N (about a mile E of 259), Ore City, Tx
*** 3 Stars

About a week back, we stopped in at David Beard's Catfish Village in Ore City, Tx. They have really excellent fried catfish and are one of the relatively few places that serves whole fish (fiddlers). Ignoring the obvious choice, and in the interest of CFS science, I ordered a double CFS ($16.49).

It was good and while not as large as some, seemed a bit thicker. Tender, well breaded.....a good product and worth ordering if you don't want the fish, but not top quality.

Gato, I know you had a bad experience at Off the Bone. However, what's your feeling about milanesa?

Marcus Cady

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Milanesa? I don't know. Seems pretty much like CFS with a few spices thrown in. I don't recall ever ordering it. I also can't think of anywhere I've ever been which includes many of the Spanish speaking countries where I wouldn't order some other local specialty instead of milanesa. For instance, steak instead of milanesa in Argentina. I never claimed to be James Beard reincarnated.....for obvious reasons, we were both alive at one time. Wink

Now that I think about it, dredging the memory files, I've been around a few that others ordered. Many were described as pretty tough as I recall.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by J_Zola:
Gato, for those who cannot find a CFS for miles what cut of steak would you start with.

I guess it depends on how desperate you are. The "classic" sources are round steak, bottom round, eye of round, sirloin tips, or cube steak. Of those, I would much prefer sirloin tips. We normally make our CFS at home from deer. No one who has tried my wife's deer CFS doesn't love it. Ask Butchlambert. That said, the better the meat, the better the result, within reason. No use in using ribeye for CFS. We recently found a local sale on sirloins for $3.99/lb. That would make good CFS. We bought a supply to use in Chinese food.

At any rate, the key to good CFS, TO START, is to either have a tenderizer or to pound the hell out of it with a tenderizing mallet. My wife typically starts with 1 inch cuts and pounds them down to about 1/2 inch, but that's not a hard and fast rule.

It's not a family secret, if I can pry it out of her, I'll post her batter and cooking method. For many, it ain't the CFS, it's the gravy. I like gravy, but for me, that's kind of like barbecue sauce. If the CFS won't shout, "Damn, I'm good!" without gravy, then it ain't.

It sounds so simple that I hesitate to post my wife's CFS (usually deer) recipe but here it is:

Whisk enough eggs for amount of meat to be cooked.

Roll pounded meat pieces in egg.

Roll in regular flour which has been seasoned to taste with salt, pepper, Cajun spiced seasoning (typically Tony Cacherie) and, depending on who you are cooking for, maybe garlic powder.

Then she simply chicken fries it in a black skillet with about a 1/2 inch or more of oil in it.

She makes gravy out of pan drippings.

This is not a really crispy batter but is good. Meat must be well pounded (tenderized).

Just noticed this thread. Was going to mention Gato's wife and CF. She knows CF! My Grandson embarrassed me. He had no trouble downing 3 huge CF steaks. It was a great meal and my first with CF venison.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bubba's, Babes, and Sweetie Pies Ribeyes are all owned by Paul Vinyard and family. I've met his brother, Joe, when eating in Decatur. A very personable guy. I think they are opening another Sweetie Pies in North Richland Hills or Hurst.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We stopped in at Mary's Cafe in Strawn on way home from S Tx place and it was really good again. Monday night they have all the CFS you can eat for $14. I didn't hurt them, but it is a good deal.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Milanesa? I don't know. Seems pretty much like CFS with a few spices thrown in. I don't recall ever ordering it. I also can't think of anywhere I've ever been which includes many of the Spanish speaking countries where I wouldn't order some other local specialty instead of milanesa. For instance, steak instead of milanesa in Argentina. I never claimed to be James Beard reincarnated.....for obvious reasons, we were both alive at one time. Wink

Now that I think about it, dredging the memory files, I've been around a few that others ordered. Many were described as pretty tough as I recall.

Milanesa if done right (homemade ((caseros)) means that it was tendeized with much effort.), is great and also considered a privilege. I know you have spent quite a bit here, but you can only have so much steak. Last night, I had a wonderful lomitó. However, the pizza leaves much to be desired.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
DSC

I think you hit the "i" instead of the "o", as in "Lomito" instead of Limito.

I had a very good chicken fried steak at Giddings Downtown Restaurant.

http://www.marketingteammates.com/TX1038

The meal is buffet style. I selected the Country Fried Steak with yams, sweet corn, jalapeno cornbread, dinner salad, and sweet tea. The cost was $8.00.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
DSC

I think you hit the "i" instead of the "o", as in "Lomito" instead of Limito.

I had a very good chicken fried steak at Giddings Downtown Restaurant.

http://www.marketingteammates.com/TX1038

The meal is buffet style. I selected the Country Fried Steak with yams, sweet corn, jalapeno cornbread, dinner salad, and sweet tea. The cost was $8.00.

Indeed. Thanks for the catch.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Last night I didn't have the best chicken fried steak in Texas, but I may have had the most confusing. This was our first trip to the Hash House a Go Go in Plano.

http://www.hashhouseagogo.com/

It has a very interesting menu, breakfast all day long, and the portions are more than ample. People all around were taking photos of their plates. There must be an "Indiana" connection as the menu has a separate section for Indiana Favorites.

We started with slow service, followed by a wine for her and a Margarita for me. (Very nice Margarita.)

My wife ordered the shrimp skewer and I ordered the hand-hammered chicken fried steak which came with mashed potatoes & sausage gravy, green beans, and a biscuit. (Why a biscuit?)

The place obviously emphasizes "Presentation" over "Composition". My wife's shrimp came with a huge wedge of watermelon as the only side. The shrimp was good but the watermelon didn't go with the wine.

The chicken-fry plate was large. The steak had a very nice tasty crust. The gravy was good. The green beans were a little too al dente for my taste. I like my mashed potatoes on the creamy-side. These were on the chunky-side. The biscuit was big and probably made early that morning or the previous day. It came with a little cup of cherry marmalade. I would have preferred a large piece of Texas Toast. The meat for the chicken-fry was a little too tough. I would call it an average chicken-fry; meaning I wouldn't order it again if we go back. My fault for ordering the Margarita. Sweet tea or milk are the only beverages that go with a chicken fried steak.

I just had the feeling that they put together the plates with whatever items were on the counter in front of them, or left over from the previous meal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Last night I didn't have the best chicken fried steak in Texas, but I may have had the most confusing. This was our first trip to the Hash House a Go Go in Plano.

http://www.hashhouseagogo.com/

It has a very interesting menu, breakfast all day long, and the portions are more than ample. People all around were taking photos of their plates. There must be an "Indiana" connection as the menu has a separate section for Indiana Favorites.

We started with slow service, followed by a wine for her and a Margarita for me. (Very nice Margarita.)

My wife ordered the shrimp skewer and I ordered the hand-hammered chicken fried steak which came with mashed potatoes & sausage gravy, green beans, and a biscuit. (Why a biscuit?)

The place obviously emphasizes "Presentation" over "Composition". My wife's shrimp came with a huge wedge of watermelon as the only side. The shrimp was good but the watermelon didn't go with the wine.

The chicken-fry plate was large. The steak had a very nice tasty crust. The gravy was good. The green beans were a little too al dente for my taste. I like my mashed potatoes on the creamy-side. These were on the chunky-side. The biscuit was big and probably made early that morning or the previous day. It came with a little cup of cherry marmalade. I would have preferred a large piece of Texas Toast. The meat for the chicken-fry was a little too tough. I would call it an average chicken-fry; meaning I wouldn't order it again if we go back. My fault for ordering the Margarita. Sweet tea or milk are the only beverages that go with a chicken fried steak.

I just had the feeling that they put together the plates with whatever items were on the counter in front of them, or left over from the previous meal.

Went to one in Orlando - terrible food. Felt like a gimmick chain.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to stopping at The Hitchin Post Steakhouse in Ozona, TX next week for a CFS. Headed to Bracketville, TX for a little hunting.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by impala#03:
Looking forward to stopping at The Hitchin Post Steakhouse in Ozona, TX next week for a CFS. Headed to Bracketville, TX for a little hunting.

One of my favorite places to stop for a CFS.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by impala#03:

If I time it correctly, I'll try their CFS around 2:30 Friday. Going to hunt the last couple of days at my place S of Ozona.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The BarBQ Inn on Airline Drive in Houston serves a very competitive CFS. Their fried chicken is also a player.

Goode's Armadillo Palace on Kirby Drive also serves an excellent CFS.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lawdog/Gato
I'm cooking Elk cutlets tonite.
I'm partial to Paul Prudom's recipe ( panned veal ). I believe Tas would approve!
I'll be in God awful Houston next week for a med procedure. May try your rec.
I'll report in if I do .

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a native Houstonian I will admit that everything is not wonderful in Houston. However, it has become a great restaurant town full of friendly folks and It's close (by Texas standards) to where i like to hang out (Rockport and South Texas). Also I have been able to support my family and recreational habits, by living and working here. There are worse venues.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lawdog, I grew up there ( during the week ) .
When I have to visit, we dine !

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dahlias Restaurant in Liberty Hill. Intersection of HWY 29 + RR 1869. The CF steak w/ mashed potatoes + gravy is to die for.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On the way to our place in Val Verde County I alone and coming back with my son and his girlfriend I/we stopped into....

6) The Hitchin Post Steakhouse, 1301 Old Hwy. 290, Ozona, Tx

**** 4 out of 5 Stars

Note: All ratings in this CFS forum are based only on the CFS with a nod towards ambience, etc.

There is no doubt that The Hitchin Post Steakhouse (THP) is by far the best restaurant in Ozona, a fine little West Texas community of about 3000, which is not overly blessed with restaurants, although there is a gas station Q joint which merits attention, but that's another thread. In general, THP has an American menu with a good selection of appetizers, fish, steaks, CFS, etc.

There are 2 main CFS choices, the gourmet ($15.99) and the regular ($10.99), Both times I/we all had the gourmet for a total of 4 samplings. The gourmet is 8 oz of very thinly tenderized sirloin and the regular is a smaller version using round steak. I would think that for most appetites, the smaller would be plenty. Even tho 8 oz. doesn't sound like all that much, it is very thin and covers most of a large platter and is covered in a crisp batter which doesn't stick to the meat too well.

My first one was definitely overcooked and was a bit too far gone and the batter was a darker brown. Next to my table, a guy who ordered the same thing a minute after mine received one that was a perfect golden brown.

My second one, was less overcooked, but still very slightly so. The above pic is my second THP CFS. Must be my luck, my son's and his girlfriend's both appeared better.

You get two sides with it and a large bowl of white gravy. Good, but the meat is pounded too thin and can be easily cooked too much to really get my tastes excited.

That said, a good CFS, and certainly worth a stop if you're in the area.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
On the way to our place in Val Verde County I alone and coming back with my son and his girlfriend I/we stopped into....

6) The Hitchin Post Steakhouse, 1301 Old Hwy. 290, Ozona, Tx

**** Four Stars

Note: All ratings in this CFS forum are based on the CFS with a nod towards ambience, etc.

There is no doubt that The Hitchin Post Steakhouse (THP) is by far the best restaurant in Ozona, a fine little West Texas community of about 3000, which is not overly blessed with restaurants, although there is a gas station Q joint which merits attention, but that's another thread. In general, THP has an American menu with a good selection of appetizers, fish, steaks, CFS, etc.

There are 2 main CFS choice, the gourmet ($15.99) and the regular ($10.99), Both times I/we all had the gourmet for a total of 4 samplings. The gourmet is 8 oz of very thinly tenderized sirloin and the regular is a smaller version using round steak. I would think that for most appetites, the smaller would be plenty. Even tho 8 oz. doesn't sound like all that much, it is very thin and covers most of a large platter and is covered in a crisp batter which doesn't stick to the meat too well.

My first one was definitely overcooked and was a bit too far gone and the batter was a darker brown. Next to my table, a guy who ordered the same thing a minute after mine received one that was a perfect golden brown.

My second one, was less overcooked, but still very slightly so. Must be my luck, my son's and his girlfriend's both appeared better.

You get two sides with it and a large bowl of white gravy. Good, but the meat is pounded too thin and can be easily cooked too much to really get my tastes excited.

That said, a good CFS, and certainly worth a stop if you're in the area.

Excellent info

Now I have massive regrets for not driving 20 miles the other way on I-10 west to get dinner at this place a month ago.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is an older review, I've been neglecting the CFS area in AR. I have a pic but am not sure if I can get it thru photobucket or not. If not posted for a couple of days, the answer is "not".

About 2 months ago, we were following our youngest daughter to a softball game with Redwater HS, not surprisingly in Redwater, Tx, a small town about 15 mi W of Texarkana on 67. It was a Thursday, and not knowing that the Redwater Diner,318 Redwater Blvd W; Redwater, Texas

**** 1/2 STARS

which is well known locally for serving excellent all you can eat catfish, only serves the all you can eat on Friday and Saturday, we went there for an early dinner.
Disappointed by the lack of fish, I fell back on my favorite, the CFS for $7.99, which I had not tried before. It was magnificent. Nearly perfect breading, tender, and a large piece of steak, well tenderized. Along with fries and two sides. Highly recommended, especially if someone in your party is a fried fish fan. Set a little S. off hwy 67 in an old grocery store, kind of behind a gas station, up the hill, turn right at only red light in town, about 200 yds from that point. Worth the search. I gua-ron-tee.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Charlie, if you ever find yourself not only on the Left Coast but the south end of Big Sur (think San Simeon), my late father-in-law loved the chicken-fried steak at the Sow's Ear in Cambria.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16376 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're driving west on HWY 29,in Liberty Hill there is a little restaurant called Dahlia's Cafe that has a really great CFS;a lot of other good food as well. The best I ever had? It had to be at the old L+M Cafe in Georgetown.Moot point now as they have been gone for 40 years;ever since Georgetown decided to get snooty + turn the square into an antiques shops smorgasborg + the Home Depot moved in + put the little Western Auto out of business. Well we got progress + we lost a damn fine CFS.