New
Find
Notify
Tools

Antler & Walnut Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Some may find this of interest.

I was contacted by a friend, last week, asking what shaving brushes I had available, as he wanted one to give to a friend as a birthday gift. When I informed him that the last one had been sold, three days earlier, he was not a happy bunny.

I had not been making for a while, did have handle materials, but would be limited to knot choice. On the basis that I would make a brush for him, using whatever was to hand, it was workshop time!

The recipient to be, is a shooting man, so there needed to be a bit of a theme in the brush construction.

This is what went out Special Delivery, yesterday.

Specs, as follows.

Handle: Red Deer antler, with Purdey walnut base, and mosaic pin, set in buffalo horn. Finished with Renaissance Wax.

Knot: 2 band Finest badger. 24mm Fan, set at 50mm.

The mosaic pin is set in buffalo horn because I only had a short piece of pin left. I always install the pin through the base, and into the antler, to give some strength to the join. My solution was to turn a piece of buffalo horn down, and set the mosaic pin in it. The horn was then cut to 25mm.

I am pleased with the result. It sits nicely in the hand, and the knot will work well with soap or cream.

Steve.

Posts: 54 | Location: North East Scotland | Registered: 26 July 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fine looking. You're obviously an artist.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
x2

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote