Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
In what year was percussion invented? I am aware that the Patterson was out in 1836 + that there were rumors of one being at The Alamo (remarkable if true that one could travel that distance in that short of time;but what a weapon of the future!)I have heard other rumors that percussion pistols were available in the latter part of the Peninsular campaign (1813-14).I have a .45 cal. Pennsylvania long rifle that has been passed down in my family.My ancestor fought with Ethan Allen's Green Mountain Boys.That we know as my Mother was D.A.R. + did the research.This was the rifle supposedly used;it is percussion,could be a flintlock conversion although I don't think so.Anyway an answer to my original question would be welcomed with some semblance of authenticity,no offense but I already have rumors.

Posts: 4249 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
1839 , by a Sots clergyman named Forsyth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_John_Forsyth

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4458 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So how could one explain an 1836 Patterson 3 years before the supposed invention? Serious replys please.

Posts: 4249 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From a web synopsis of History of Firearms by H. B. C. Pollard.....

quote:
The copper percussion cap is not definitely alluded to in the patent records till 1823, but appears to have been invented about 1814-1816

Further, Forsyth did, more or less, invent/perfect the percussion cap but much earlier than mentioned above.
Here's an article on it. percussion cap

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Starting to sound more reasonable.The battle of Waterloo was in June of 1815 + there were tales of some of the English gentry with the new percussion pistols. Any more historical data would be greatly appreciated!