THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    What is it like to fire an AR-15? It’s horrifying, menacing and very very loud

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is it like to fire an AR-15? It’s horrifying, menacing and very very loud Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted
What a f@#$%^g idiot . . .

The recoil bruised my shoulder, which can happen if you don't know what you're doing. The brass shell casings disoriented me as they flew past my face. The smell of sulfur and destruction made me sick. The explosions — loud like a bomb — gave me a temporary form of PTSD.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new...ud-article-1.2673201

Posts: 2074 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What a pussy. Glad he caught flack for trying to claim he had a (temporary) case of PTSD.

My guess is that if you asked him the caliber of the pistol he claims to have fired before, he wouldn't know. Truth be told it was probably a .22.

I suspect if you walked up behind him with an inflated paper bag and popped it, he would get a temporary case of PTSD.

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we need to send Vashper over to straighten this guy out...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another yellow sheet "journalist" trying to jump on Barry's bandwagon. Maybe he's hoping for a ride on AF-1.
I have a 9yo grandson that routinely shoots a .223

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I don't know whether he is a "pussy" or not. You guys obviously do. In any case firing a short barrelled 223 firearm in an indoor range (which is what it looks like) with perhaps casual hearing protection could very easily disorient someone who is not used to shooting such a firearm. I use custom moulded ear plugs which work very well for me, but in an indoor range, shooting my AMT 30 carbine handgun can be an experience! Even at an outdoor range people comment on the noise and percussion of the gun. Likewise, my Bullpup 223 did most certainly sound different than a conventional AR style gun. I much prefer shooting my AR guns with a suppressor. Doubtless you experts have a different perspective.

Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
But are you horrified and menaced?

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds like an opportunity to further the use of silencers rather than make fun of the pussy.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to say I find the 5.56/223 a very loud round for shooting a punny 55-62 grain bullet.

If you shoot left handed and are new to shooting ar - the ejection is a little unnerving. You get used to it fast.

But a well set up ar-15 carbine with a good red dot optic like an aim point or eotech and and a nice adjustable stock like magpul a new shooter can be very effective very fast. I have taken friends who have never shot before and within 5 minutes are shooting clay pigeons at 60-100 yards.

I have just placed an order for 9 suppressors - all my ar platform guns getting suppressed.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smell of sulphur?
Where does he get 223 loaded with black powder.
That would scare me!

Mark

Posts: 1229 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Regarding recoil, someone who is emotionally invested in being fearful of firearms might conclude that unfamiliar recoil coupled with enhanced noise of indoor firing is punishing. And it is - to a fearful novice. Most novices would have more fun and imprint with better training by using an air rifle/pistol or 22 RF firearm at their beginning.
Parenthetically, the Israeli army has decided to issue (or has issued??) electronic ear plugs to infantry. I read a brief article with this information several months ago. What they issue might be useful information.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last time I shot an AR I didn't notice any recoil. What a wuss. Typical liberal girly-man.

Posts: 10003 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He has to get used to it .So I suggest training with 1. Battleship firing all big guns together
2.C-130 firing all guns together at night
3. Using a 700 nitro double at a charging elephant

Then he should go back to the .223 -- he won't notice any recoil or muzzle blast !! 2020

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
What a pussy...
...I suspect if you walked up behind him with an inflated paper bag and popped it, he would get a temporary case of PTSD.

I suspect a change of underwear would be in order.

"For they have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind..."
Hosea 8:7

Posts: 579 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 January 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think we are all agreed that the author is either very fragile, or had an agenda of some kind. I was pointing out that if we were going to introduce a friend or relative to shooting an AR15 then perhaps we would do things differently. The recent American Rifleman reviews a Savage Scout rifle of some kind and they pointed out that with an 18" barrel and a muzzle brake, double hearing protection is recommended!
So, have the new shooter stand behind someone shooting one first (while wearing hearing protection).
Then have the new shooter shoot him/herself (while wearing adequate hearing protection). What is adequate? If the person thinks it is too loud, then, give more.
I shot at Bisley as a teenager, without hearing protection of ANY kind. I thought it was normal to have your ears still ringing 2 days later! We were shooting 303's.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Somewhere out there in/on the vast interweb, there is a satirical version based on the Daisy Red Rider.

Link came to me, but has since went into the bit bucket

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Maybe a preconceived agenda and one need never actually fire one.

After all there are few or no journalists out there among the land of news "makers".

Challenge your limits

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sat under the tailgate of a deuce and a half one night with a Quad-Fifty when it got fired up.

Yeah, it was loud, but those four pinkish streams firing out really looked, and sounded sweet...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Here tis

http://thepeoplescube.com/peop...a-bb-gun-t18065.html

Challenge your limits