Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Midland, Texas Login/Join 
Picture of BonsaiCrimson
posted
I have just accepted a job in Midland, Texas. I have lived in Houston, but never in this part of the world. Can anyone give me insight in respect to hunting, culture, and any other tidbits that may be important?

I've been hunted much more than I have hunted.

Posts: 13 | Location: Houston, Texas-Perth Australia-Lagos Nigeria-Laos | Registered: 06 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The hunting culture is strong I suspect. I left there in the early 90s. We hunted whitetail, varmints, and turkey south of town; blue quail, coyote, and dove west of town; bobwhite, dove, and some blues east of town. I hunted mule deer, varmints and aoudad southwest of Midland, and pheasant to the north.

If you are in oil, check with the vendors. They have leases.

Hunting wasn't a problem, you just had to drive to get to it. If you were a fisherman, you had to drive a lot further.

Posts: 13784 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
I'm about 120 miles esst-south-east of you in the san angelo area.... hunting leases are few and far between as most oil companies don't want guns on the property where their production is.. constant battle beyween surface right owners and mineral owners... that beind said, there are leases available, but you'll have to hunt then... day hunting is a better option and quite a few landowners have got exotic hunts available... its not cheap unless you want a "meat hunt"... lots of culture in midland, lots of $$... scenery's not much,..brush and sandhills...gunshows are prominent in both midland and Odessa... good resteraunts abound... hotels stays are expensive, courtesy of the oil boom.... since the price of oil is down, things are getting a little cheaper...welcome to our little part of Texas...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2831 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my former partners and a good friend became the general counsel of a company in Midland. He loves it.

Posts: 10038 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote