THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Ammo: If there is a supply shortage, why are Canada’s shelves overflowing??

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ammo: If there is a supply shortage, why are Canada’s shelves overflowing?? Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted
My daughter and I traveled through Canada last week. On July 19th I stopped at the Cabelas in Lethbridge to use the restroom. I got lost in the store(they are big stores with lots to distract a guy...) and ended up in the firearms section. I was shocked to see the shelves literally packed with ammunition. They had nearly everything in stock. Maybe one out of ten items was out of stock, but everything else was packed to the gills.

And I had been looking in SW Wyoming just a couple of days prior and they had almost nothing. Most places were out of stock on 95% of their ammo, and what they did have was odd ball stuff such as 7x64 and 378 Weatherby. I checked Walmart and they were completely bare each time I looked, until finally they had two boxes of Remington 30/06, but nothing else.

I suspect that there is no supply shortage, the problem is with the hoarders. But that is just my guess...

BTW, did you know that the commies in Canada won’t sell you ammo without a license??? Ask me how I know...

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Canada has a small percentage of firearm owners compared to the US.

Just the "new owners" in the US most likely out number the Canadian owners.

Posts: 19392 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Well because the same tweekers as last time are still hoarding everything they can get there hands on waiting for some imagined Armageddon. diggin

I mean it isn't like the manufacturers aren't producing.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Cougarz and PDog,

I agree with both of you. I posted this to point out that it isn’t about a supply shortage due to lack of materials, or lack of manpower due to Covid, as has been discussed here recently.

It is being cause by an out of control demand here in the US.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep. A guy came in the store yesterday who is the sporting goods leader for a major big box sports store. He said their ammo is bought up every day by the same 10-15 old guys who line up at 3 in the morning with coffee and donuts. They then take the ammo to the local flea market or next gun show and sell it for triple what they paid. No other citizens get to buy anything. His company won't allow him to ration. On the other hand, the local gun store I work at limits purchases so more folks can have some ammo. This is nothing but artificial demand due to hoarding and opportunism.

Posts: 3683 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Around Dallas it seems the stores are slowly restocking ammo supplies, the three Bass Pro and Cabela's stores I've gone into in the past couple of weeks all had quite a bit of ammo, including the popular calibers. None of it was bargain priced but they had lots of it. Shotgun shells were fairly plentiful and not way overpriced, so I bought a case each of 20 ga and 28 ga dove loads.
Also, they seem to be getting a bit more reloading components, pretty good variety of Hornady bullets and even had some Barnes bullets in .224, .308 and .257.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2761 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I was in Sportsman's the other day and an young employee was wheeling a partially filled shopping cart towards the ammo shelves. He stopped and I walked over to look at what he had. He nearly had a heart attack and told me not to touch any of it. I couldn't believe his stinking attitude and I told him so. In the end, he had nothing that I would have been interested in. What is wrong with people? You can't leave the store with more than 2 boxes of anything. And, the handgun ammo is all behind the customer service counter. You can look and then if they have anything that you want, you can get two boxes. What a shit show this whole thing is.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
It usually is, + especially when all too often the counter help is clueless.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
Around Dallas it seems the stores are slowly restocking ammo supplies, the three Bass Pro and Cabela's stores I've gone into in the past couple of weeks all had quite a bit of ammo, including the popular calibers. None of it was bargain priced but they had lots of it. Shotgun shells were fairly plentiful and not way overpriced, so I bought a case each of 20 ga and 28 ga dove loads.
Also, they seem to be getting a bit more reloading components, pretty good variety of Hornady bullets and even had some Barnes bullets in .224, .308 and .257.

Karl,

I’m in need of some 28ga dove loads. Where did you find these?

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marcus, Cabela’s in Allen and the Grapevine Bass Pro both had them in stock. Just over $60.00 per case.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2761 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
Marcus, Cabela’s in Allen and the Grapevine Bass Pro both had them in stock. Just over $60.00 per case.

Thank you, sir. I will have to swing by one of those soon.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote