Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Japanese Beer Login/Join 
One of Us
posted

Posts: 2663 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Wow, I didn't know that much work went into brewing a beer! Big Grin

P.S. I "embedded" the video so people can watch it in your frame.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
FYI regarding Japanese beer....

Asahi beer is a genuine German Pilsner beer, made in Japan.

At the end of WWI, Japan entered the war on the allied side just a few weeks before the end of the conflict (when they could tell who was going to win...)

During that time, they captured the German-held portion of China which had the port of Tsingdao (phonetic spelling) as its major population centre.

(In those days all the major powers, including the U.S., had divided up China into "spheres of influence" which functioned as colonies of those powers. The Brits had Hong Kong, the Germans Tsingdao, etc.)

Anyway, to keep the German troops in Tsingdao happy, the Germans moved a brewmaster and his family from Pilsner to Tsingdao where he made beer for the ethnic Germans there.

When the Japanese captured the port, they also captured said brewmaster and family. Unlike during WWII, the Japanese in WWI treated their enemy captives extremely well. The brewmaster was moved to Tokyo as a POW and was treated with great respect, aside from being held there for some time after the end of the war.

Anyway, he was so well treated that when he and his family were released, he declined to go home. Instead he established a brewery just outside Toyko...now known world-wide as Asahi brewery.

Ah yes, the "spoils" of war......

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sapporo was also started by a German beer maker.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Always a large bottle of Sapporo with sushi. That's a rule to live by.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote