New
Find
Notify
Tools

PITA Company Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted
I have been trying to buy a pair of inexpensive rifle safes...nothing strong enough to prevent burglars from doing their thing, but just something to keep kid's and visitor's hands off of my rifles.

I located some biometric (fingerprint locking/unlocking) ones that look fairly good for my purpose, at Barska. So I tried to order. The first person I got in their sales unit wouldn't even talk to me unless I gave her the product number code, which I didn't have.

So I called Barska customer service for help. They would take my order, but when I paid for it with a credit card (which they DO accept and prefer) and gave them the number, the expiry date and my security number on the back and all that drill, they e-mailed me a form which I was to complete (which I was supposed to copy, sign, and fax back to them). I can't do that as I have no fax, and am too disabled at present to leave the house, so I couldn't even take it to a local service to have it faxed for me.

Even worse, they wanted me to photocopy the back of my credit card with the security number on it, and fax that photocopy along with their form.

Otherwise, they informed me, they would not honor my card (a Cabela's Club Visa). They didn't even try to use it for my purchase, saying that their company policy required the form to be filled out and signed for EVERY credit card order made online.

I e-mailed the CS rep I dealt with (Lorraine) and explained the problem to her. Her response was "no signed form, no credit card purchase".)

Because I would really like to get a couple of the little rifle safes, today I typed an order memo of my own and made cut a check payable to them, both of which I will snail-mail to them.

I don't know what you guys make of that, but my view at the moment is that their CS rep may not be a Customer Service rep, but a different kind of CS rep...normally found outside as a natural result of pecking bugs and seeds.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
I don't know what you guys make of that, but my view at the moment is that their CS rep may not mean a Customer Service rep, but a different kind of CS.

I think you would have been better served to find an alternative company to purchase from and then wrote a letter to the president of Barska and explained why you purchased from their competitor.

It is ironic that you were trying to use a Cabelas(World class CS) card to purchase from a company that seems to have no clue of the retail level CS.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Dvor sells Barska safes.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
Dvor sells Barska safes.

George

Thanks, George. I had already tried Dvor, but they want me to reach them only via a social network such as Facebook. I don't do ANY social media other than here at AR....one of my own personal security policies.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't understand, for WHAT all these troubles?

Posts: 2356 | Location: Moscow | Registered: 07 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't do ANY social media other than here at AR....one of my own personal security policies.

LLoyd, you always were sort of an anti-social type :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh John, you sly devil you...I've worked long and hard for my curmudgeon reputation. Now that I'm somewhat beyond my salad days, I let myself just kick back and enjoy it. fishing

BTW, I find that Optics Planet also carries Barska safes and their price is a few $ lower than direct from Barska. tu2

Not that it makes any difference...I've found a place which builds biometric burglar and fire proof rifle safes which is only 25 miles from my home...and their price includes bringing the safe into the house, putting it anywhere I want it, and anchoring it to the floor, wall, or both. dancing

Take care and Y'all come back now! beer

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

posted Hide Post
AC,

You can join Dvor's newsletter and it will arrive in e-mail form (that is how I get it as I also eschew social networks).

FYI, Optics Planet owns Dvor. Wink

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
boy would that raise a red flags with me. in my mind i would immediately brand them as a crooked outfit

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have cheerfully, at length and in minute detail instructed them in exactly what they should do with their products.

before buying from their competetion

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I don't like to burn bridges, so I took another approach which was prompted by one of the earlier AR responses to this thread.

Assuming that they really DIDN'T have much familiarity with the retail side of business, I wrote them a memo which pointed out that based on my years in business I found the most important single consideration in sales is making the customer happy.

And I pointed out that starts right at the initial contact...part of which is making the purchase as easy & simple for the customer as is possible.

I also suggested they take a look at how Amazon.com makes purchasing easy for its clientele as a good example.

The result? I got a very friendly e-mail back, telling me they had placed my order for me, no rigmarole forms necessary, and that my safe is on the way to my home, with the carrier instructed to place it in my house for me.

All's well that ends well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
AC,

You can join Dvor's newsletter and it will arrive in e-mail form (that is how I get it as I also eschew social networks).

FYI, Optics Planet owns Dvor. Wink

George

Thanks for the info. I was going to buy from Optics Planet until I found they would charge $125 for curbside delivery. Instead, I took the approach described in my immediately above post.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well it may be a little to late but I can say that I recommend Sturdy Safe.
www.sturdysafe.com.

They are made in the USA, are very high quality, and they are a very good company to deal with.

When I was trying to figure out the exact safe to buy, and how to fit it out, every time I called the company I either got the owners wife, the owners daughter, or the owner himself...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a good safe company. I'll certainly keep them in mind if I get another one. Thanks for the tip.

I was super impressed with the house burn down and the safe left standing......amazing.

I'm really more concerned with fire than theft. My dogs will prevent most thefts, but they ain't fire fighters. Frowner

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Well it may be a little to late but I can say that I recommend Sturdy Safe.
www.sturdysafe.com.

They are made in the USA, are very high quality, and they are a very good company to deal with.

When I was trying to figure out the exact safe to buy, and how to fit it out, every time I called the company I either got the owners wife, the owners daughter, or the owner himself...

If I wanted to buy a burglar and fire proof safe, Sturdy is the make I would buy. I really like their company and their safes. But all I was looking for in this instance was a small "lockable closet", with instant unlock ability which I could add to my already overcrowded workshop.