Find
Notify
Tools

South Carolina Gun Laws Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Any SC Lawyers present?

I have a question concerning the following SC gun law:

'Any resident of this State including a corporation or other business entity maintaining a place of business in this State, who may lawfully purchase and receive delivery of a rifle or shotgun in this State, may purchase a rifle or shotgun in another state; provided that the sale meets the lawful requirements of each state, meets all lawful requirements of any federal statute, and is made by a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector'.

I'm a resident of Wisconsin and not a FFL holder. I sold a rifle to a SC resident. We were looking for a FFL holder in SC that will accept the rifle from a out of state non FFL holder. He now states that he can't buy the rifle from me because I'm not a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector.

Is this correct? Is he interpreting the law correctly?

Jim

Posts: 546 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All you need is a FFL holder on the other end that accepts firearms from private parties.

My guess is the buyer cannot find one and is looking for a reason to back out.

Posts: 19393 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
All you need is a FFL holder on the other end that accepts firearms from private parties.

My guess is the buyer cannot find one and is looking for a reason to back out.

I thought that also at first. He called back the next day after talking to an FFL dealer and then a retired policy officer friend. He was misinterpreting the law. We are on again. But I need to have my FFL dealer involved since his won't accept a firearm from a non FFL holder.

Jim

Posts: 546 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
No lawyer needed; I find that many, grossly ignorant, dealers, will not accept firearms from individuals. Grossly ignorant is a kind, but accurate, word for them.

Posts: 17123 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
x2, they can do it.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Some ignorant shippers come to mind as well. A few years ago I bought a pair of consec. ser. # SAA's at an estate sale. They had the old hard rubber grips but for those, I felt they deserved ivory stocks so I boxed them up to send back to Hartford + went into the UPS store + tried to ship them. The guy went nuts + actually said, "You can't ship guns, that's how terrorists get their guns ya know". I just left without speaking + followed another route.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote