THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Want to buy a high quality camping trailer

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Want to buy a high quality camping trailer Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
I want to buy a new camping trailer for hunting and family camping. Want a bumper hitch...not a 5th-wheel. Would love to have an AirStream...but they seem way overpriced to me albeit probably best quality.

What is the best camper for the money?

Not looking for a super fancy trailer but a super well built one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36557 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
I want to buy a new camping trailer for hunting and family camping. Want a bumper hitch...not a 5th-wheel. Would love to have an AirStream...but they seem way overpriced to me albeit probably best quality.

What is the best camper for the money?

Not looking for a super fancy trailer but a super well built one.

Casitas are built in Tejas, look like a one-piece shell that won't leak. They are also lightweight, as I understand it.

There was a shop in Riverside that rebuilt Airstreams, nice stuff. They've either moved or closed down, not sure which.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14375 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Lane I can get you a contact # tomorrow. My son works for American RV + he + I are both like family with the owner.Can't hurt.He also carries blinds + feeders,etc. Nice outfit here on HWY 29.Randy.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Thanks Randy.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36557 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
There seems to be a lot of great quality campers on the market now do your homework and you should be able to find one that you will be happy with.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Agreed Randall.

I am looking for an all aluminum frame and a shell noted for no leaks.

Not really looking for fancy...just a comfy bed...the basic necessities...and quality construction.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The no leak thing is a big deal. Where it me I'd avoid a membrane roof like the plague!!!!!!

I was very happy when,I,bought mine.......I was much happier when I sold it!

Best of luck in your search.

Posts: 41775 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Out here, Artic Fox has a stellar reputation......

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
If they were not twice as high as everthing else...I would buy an AirStream.

Jayco has been highly recommended and we have a good dealer.

Grand Design is another that has been recommended.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hear Artic Fox is a significant step above Jayco......

Posts: 3701 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Lane,sent you a P.M. Also there is a fellow down the road that restores old airstreams as well as vintage cars. Never stopped in but he does beautiful work;I'll bet the price is as well.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by INTJ:
I hear Artic Fox is a significant step above Jayco......

I own a Desert Fox (same company). It is a smaller toy hauler, bumper pull. We have really enjoyed it and have used it a lot. Plus, I live in extreme weather (not always in the trailer). -40 in the winter, 90 in the summer.

Here are some things I really like about it:

1- 2 electric (large bunks). They are very comfortable to sleep on
2- 4,000 watt generator. Does a great job
3- Appliances. They are name brand and not RV brand appliances. They have held up well.

The flooring was kind of cheap. I will be replacing it next year.

I bought it new, 8+ years ago. Probably been used 200+ days.

Funny thing, not too relevant but..... My neighbor called and asked if I would rent it to their daughter and son-on-law. They are involved with horse racing and wanted to rent it for a 2-3 weeks. I hesitated but due to the parents being good neighbors, I said yes. The called me a few weeks back and asked to extend the rental for a few more weeks. I said yes and they said everything was working great!

So, I would recommend it in other words!

Posts: 2641 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
The only problem I have with Artic Fox is that the nearest dealer is 5-6 hours away.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest that you continue to use your common sense and do not buy from a dealer that is far from you, unless there is some local attraction at his location that you like to visit.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
The only problem I have with Artic Fox is that the nearest dealer is 5-6 hours away.

At least go look at a Casita, they look leak-proof to me. Now that I think of it, I remember people towing nice sailboats that doubled as their campers.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14375 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Doc,

My brother in law just bought an XLR Nitro camper/toy hauler. It's bumper pull and very nice. He plans to use it to haul the Polaris around. I was very impressed. I don't know if you need a combo like that, but the UTV area is spacious if it's not there. He got it from a dealer in Cleburne.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote