Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Home Gym Addition Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
So the girlfriend wanted a rower. We already have a gym full of free weights, benches, two multi station machines, treadmill, Total Gym, Bowflex stepper and IR sauna. But nooooo that's not enough. Must have a rower.

Of course to keep the peace I purchased a Concept 2 rower in January. Now that I am stuck here in the States I figured I would give it a go. First impressions were a little mixed. Not really like the pump you receive from a weight workout and not a lot of cardio unless you row like the drug cartel pirates are after you. But after a month or so, I've become addicted to it. I'm doing 4,000 - 6,000 meters a day.

Knees, lower/upper back and core are the main impacted areas. And a great warm up for weights.

Money well spent plus a happy GF. Could be worse.

FWIW - Might be worth investigating...

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Concept 2 rower also. I go in spurts using it, mainly the winter months. I would much rather go for a walk but, it isn't the same cardio workout.

Have you used the the online log? They also have a daily workout I sometimes use. It has helped me keep my interest up at times.

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The GF was an aerobics and pilates instructor once upon a time. So she does all the social media workout stuff with her friends. I am sure it keeps them engaged but I just want to workout to my 80's rock bands. That is about as "social" as I get. But I do see how the social connection helps to keep folks motivated. Working out can suck.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am with you on the social stuff. The online log lets you look at past workouts, you can look at weekly/monthly/annual totals of meters, time, pace, etc. It has helped me with motivation at times.

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good advice on the workout tracking. Would be interesting keep track of the total meters rowed.

I have noticed that my Fitbit Charge 3 doesn't know what to do with rowing workouts.