THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    recommended book "Parasite Rex" by Carl Zimmer

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

recommended book "Parasite Rex" by Carl Zimmer Login/Join 
one of us
posted
I actually read this book as a result of an interview on NPR with the author about his new book (next on my read list) "A Planet of Viruses". Went to Amazon and noticed this, one of his earlier works, was recommended, so ordered both.

Many of the African hunters we have should read it IMO. It is not difficult to read, but not written for elementary school level readers either (that takes out many in the PF Big Grin ).

At any rate, it is full of yuck stuff from the trypanosomes of the tsetse fly to plasmodiums of malaria and many more.

I found some of the background information to be fascinating and totally new to me. "According to one estimate, parasites may outnumber free-living species four to one. In other words, the study of life is, for the most part parasitology."

It's a good read for those with inquiring minds.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Opps, my bad. I had forgotten about the relatively new "books and video" forum. I have reposted this brief review there.

I don't see how it damages anything to leave it up in here, so I am, but if one of the mods wants to delete it, no harm, no foul.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Gatogordo,

Checkout the " Animal Planet ; Monster Inside Me "
http://animal.discovery.com/se...++Inside+Me&search=+

Lot of good " Travel Info " on " Parasites "..!

PAPI
fishing

Posts: 432 | Location: California | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
"According to one estimate, parasites may outnumber free-living species four to one. In other words, the study of life is, for the most part parasitology."

I think that sentence speaks volumes.

Posts: 173 | Location: Texas | Registered: 01 February 2003Reply With Quote