New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unemployed For Now Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted
A couple weeks ago I was fired from a new job that I had been doing for the past couple months. The reason I was fired is because I refused to break the DOT laws. I was talking to another contrator yesterday that was going to offer me a job but they have it fixed now to where I can't go to work for any other independent contractor. The contractor I was talking to told me he had heard several similar stories about the contractor that fired me, so its not an isolated incident. This contractor I talked with yesterday said he would never ask me to break the DOT laws.
The company in question is a huge coporation that uses many independent contractors and many of you use them on a daily basis.

I called corporate but they seemed to careless. Im not sure how I am going to approach this at this time. I have some ideas in mind but not sure what steps im going to take at this point. Its pathetic this days that corporations actually fire you for following the law.

I don't want the job back but I will do whatever steps necessary to expose the truth about this particular contractor.
Im not doing this as a disgruntled ex-employee. Im only doing this to expose the truth thats it!

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well you could sue for dismissal without cause as a company can't ask you to break the law. That would make it a part of public record. The question is, is it really worth it to you to go through the hassles? If they are preventing you from getting another job then it probably is worth it on a couple of fronts.

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Yes it is worth the hassle because its the principle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can you "whistleblow" to the DOT, or to the "media"??

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jarrod:

I was talking to another contractor yesterday that was going to offer me a job but they have it fixed now to where I can't go to work for any other independent contractor.

Oh? And how is that possible, exactly?

The only ways I can instantly think of off the top of my head are:

1. You signed a non-compete" agreement prior to being hired in the first place, or

2. The employer who fired you made a report to a licensing body that ended up in the suspension or rescinding of a license you are legally required to hold in order to work in your field, or

3. Your work requires that you be bonded, and your previous employer is stating information about you which would make you appear not worth the risk to bonding companies.

There may be other reasons such as security clearance issues, but generally speaking, a previous employer has no way of controlling what other companies want to do in the way of hiring or firing.

Perhaps they just gave you a bad enough recommendation that the new companies don't want to take the risk of adding you to their staff?

In a number of these cases you do have recourse of various kinds without having to file a lawsuit (which in itself may be harmful to your future employment whether you win or lose the immediate suit).

My advice is to contact an attorney experienced in employment and dismissal law. It will not cost much to get an initial consultation to see whether you have any hope of success in correcting the situation.

Handling such employment situations was my specialty for about the last 10 years of my pre-retirement life, but I am not going to give you legal advice, particularly over the internet.

P.S. - Don't let it ruin your life. These days most employees over 40 years of age have been fired from at least one job during their work history. It doesn't mean you have no hopes, are not a good person, or any of that stuff. As the old saying goes, "shit happens". Many of America's greatest successes were fired, but they picked themselves up, worked hard at finding another way or place to earn a living, and eventually prospered. You can do the same if you stick to it. Good fortune to you....

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
quote:

I was talking to another contractor yesterday that was going to offer me a job but they have it fixed now to where I can't go to work for any other independent contractor.

1. You signed a non-compete" agreement prior to being hired in the first place, or

2. The employer who fired you made a report to a licensing body that ended up in the suspension or rescinding of a license you are legally required to hold in order to work in your field, or

3. Your work requires that you be bonded, and your previous employer is stating information about you which would make you appear not worth the risk to bonding companies.

There may be other reasons such as security clearance issues, but generally speaking, a previous employer has no way of controlling what other companies want to do in the way of hiring or firing.

Perhaps they just gave you a bad enough recommendation that the new companies don't want to take the risk of adding you to their staff?

In a number of these cases you do have recourse of various kinds without having to file a lawsuit (which in itself may be harmful to your future employment whether you win or lose the immediate suit).

My advice is to contact an attorney experienced in employment and dismissal law. It will not cost much to get an initial consultation to see whether you have any hope of success in correcting the situation.

Handling such employment situations was my specialty for about the last 10 years of my pre-retirement life, but I am not going to give you legal advice, particularly over the internet.

P.S. - Don't let it ruin your life. These days most employees over 40 years of age have been fired from at least one job during their work history. It doesn't mean you have no hopes, are not a good person, or any of that stuff. As the old saying goes, "shit happens". Many of America's greatest successes were fired, but they picked themselves up, worked hard at finding another way or place to earn a living, and eventually prospered. You can do the same if you stick to it. Good fortune to you....

The main corporation is Fed Ex but as you probably already know the majority of Fed Ex routes are contracted out. A contractor can make a recommendation but Fed Ex has the final say so.
I do not want the job back. Would not take it back if they offered it to me. As a matter of fact I just got home a few minutes ago from an interview. My goal is to be in business for myself in the next couple years but thats a whole other story and would be a different thread.
My main goal at this point is just to expose the truth. Nothing more, nothing less.

About the comment about not letting it ruin my life. That thought never even crossed my mind. I only want to expose what is going on!

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jarrod:

The main corporation is Fed Ex but as you probably already know the majority of Fed Ex routes are contracted out. A contractor can make a recommendation but Fed Ex has the final say so.
I do not want the job back. Would not take it back if they offered it to me. My goal is to be in business for myself in the next couple years but thats a whole other story and would be a different thread.
My main goal at this point is just to expose the truth. Nothing more, nothing less.

About the comment about not letting it ruin my life. That thought never even crossed my mind. I only want to expose what is going on!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck Jarrod.Just for the sake of argument other than you get access to opinions from fellow gunners;might I suggest you call the New York Times.They are always up for a story on dirt.You want to get the word out?Give the info to those that have the clout + the interest to do so.

Posts: 4247 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forget the New York Times, contact a lawyer specializing in employment law. And you might want to not put so much information on-line until you have consulted with him or her. Good luck.

Posts: 10037 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Forget the New York Times, contact a lawyer specializing in employment law. And you might want to not put so much information on-line until you have consulted with him or her. Good luck.

I know thats why I havent put anything else on this thread

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lavaca has a good point,I stand corrected.It is a sad state of affairs however when the truth is'nt good enough,you need a lawyer.

Posts: 4247 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just touching base.What is your current status?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jarrod:

How are things going? As a lawyer for the past 25 years, I've learned one simple truth. No one much likes lawyers, at least until you need one.

Posts: 10037 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
I have decided that it is just not worth the time and the effort and just decided to move on.
I am also starting a new job in the morning

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
That's probably a good decision if not the most noble. Many major corporations have contracts with companies whose service is to provide background checks on applicants and after criminal histories, records of litigation are the most sought after and then records of union participation. Sad but true as they are public records and even if a settlment is sealed, the record of litigation is not. So one has to make sure that there is enough cause to risk locking yourself out of future employment in many places.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jarrod:

Best of luck with your new position. If it makes you feel any better, one thing I've told clients for years is that once a lawsuit gets filed, neither of the parties has fun. The lawyers have fun and the lawyers make money (at least one of them). But you, as the client, will not enjoy the ride. I know I talk myself out of business. But it is the truth.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:

Very much the truth!

~Ann

Posts: 19170 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote