New
Find
Notify
Tools

TV Gun shows Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted
I just watched American Guns for the second time. Needless to say, this will be the last! In just 1 episode these are the the dumb things that I have seen

A guy traded in his 338-378 Weatherby mag for a 20lb 50BMG so that he could kill big game at 1k yards. The gun they made for him looked like it had a 22in barrel.

Two of the (qualified?) gunsmiths had a fight about whether the Tommy gun that they were making would get more velocity with a 18 or a 16in barrel

They tested the gun by shooting it into a stream. Hunter safety 101, you don't intentionally shoot at water unless you like ricochets. the gun went full auto and damaged a bunch of parts. (not intentional)

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1086 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hey, they're right up there with the motorcycle builders and the junk car restorers and the garbage pickers and the car tow companies and the reality shows. Just a bunch of shit to show so's the advertisements won't run together.
I agree with you. This will not be known as TV's finest hour.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
The only comment I can make on them applies to both the TV gun shows and the TV hunting shows.

I have tried to watch both types several times. Have never yet made it all the way through even one of either. What I did see embarrassed me to be associated with such ignorance and phoney B.S. So I turned them off at the first advertising breaks.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:
The only comment I can make on them applies to both the TV gun shows an the TV hunting shows.

I have tried to watch both types several times. Have never yet made it all the way through even one of either. What I did see embarrassed me to be associated with such ignorance and phoney B.S. So I turned them off at the first advertising breaks.

+1, for sure

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you ever met a really good smith who could sell on TV? The best smiths sell by word of mouth and it isn't out of theirs.

Posts: 10038 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
hey, they're right up there with the motorcycle builders and the junk car restorers and the garbage pickers and the car tow companies and the reality shows. Just a bunch of shit to show so's the advertisements won't run together.
I agree with you. This will not be known as TV's finest hour.
tu2 tu2

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I laugh every time I watch "tiny" run a lathe....or sorta run it

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On the same episode of American Guns, the thompson comes with a 16 inch barrel, not 18" and the two inches they cut off was actually the Cutts Compensator! If you look close, the "titanium" receiver they made has all the factory markings on it....I think they just took a factory lightweight receiver, machined it a bit and then sold it as titanium. On the previous show, they had some guy paint a zebra pattern on a S&W M&P and then charged the customer $800 for the paint job!

Posts: 1648 | Location: Colorado, USA | Registered: 11 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Funny but true....and on a sub $500 gun

The show has drama and eye candy (round tits) with exploding targets abound.....gunsmithing?

Laffin

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
They are all too stupid to watch.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12552 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
You guys are missing the point... and the benefits of these shows!

These shows are not for "us", they are for the novice shooters. A lot of these new shooters are Vets returning from Iran and Afghanistan, and want to continue shooting.

Also notice, that a lot of these shows have some pretty hot women in them.

The benefit is, NEW SHOOTERS and Female shooters!

We have seen a marked increase in the number of new younger members at our club ( DCFS in the last few years as well as an increase in the number of female shooters. And they all seem to start out with AR's but quickly move to table trap and pistol.

Don't knock these shows, they are contributing to the future of our sport, and breeding pro-gun voters!

p.s. Any show that would be technical enough for those of us that have been at this for the last 30 years would put a new shooter to sleep in about 3 minutes!

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Frankly I don't think providing incorrect BS via those shows is a service to anyone... especially not to newer shooters who can't yet know any better.

And in my own case it is the misinformation of the shows that I object to, not the kind of gun or kind of target they employ. Ignorant mythology is hard enough to get rid of on the internet. It is even more difficult when it is on TV, as there is no opportunity to correct the errors.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote