THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Was There Ever A Better Evangelist Than Billy Graham?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Was There Ever A Better Evangelist Than Billy Graham? Login/Join 
one of us
posted
I was channel surfing yesterday and went through about a half dozen "preachers". It got me to thinking.

I remember Oral Roberts on the television back in the 50s. There was Jim Bakker, Copeland, Crouch, Falwell, Hinn, Robertson, Schuller, Swaggart, and hundreds more. I have no respect for any of them. Snake oil salesmen at best. But Billy Graham, he was different. I always felt he was a good man trying to do good.

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course, there is the dark side. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y1xJAVZxXg

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ken, I saw Billy Graham in Seattle when in junior high. That man had charisma -- and turned down a Hollywood career to preach.
This other strain of parasitic scum who pretend to speak in tongues and would squeeze the last nickel out of a widow with no legs have earned a special place in Hell -- right up near the furnace, second row behind Marx, Stalin, Mao, Hitler and Pol Pot -- and a whole bunch of Democrats.

hilbily

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16392 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Billy Graham is probably the best evangelist.
I find this quote from Pat Robertson to be right on point for our nation and its character.

The Supreme Court has insulted you over and over again, Lord. They've taken your Bible away from the schools. They've forbidden little children to pray. They've taken the knowledge of God as best they can, and organizations have come into court to take the knowledge of God out of the public square of America.
Pat Robertson
Read more at https://www.brainyquote.com/qu...?src=t_supreme_court

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
In my o[pinion Billy Graham was the ultimate evangelist. As is mentioned + we all have seen that there are a bunch of frauds out there; Mr. Graham was not one of them. He truly believed in his message to pass along. I respect him most highly. It was always hard to watch him on T.V. dry-eyed. Also in addition that the respect was paid to him by comic Lenny Bruce when he did his comic routine in the early 60's about "Religion Inc,".., Well there we were checked into this cheap motel with a few sips of whiskey left + no prospects left when I open the drawer + see this Gideon's + I have an inspiration + say "Oral + Jim! There's money here!" Even Lenny Bruce did not connect him with trash evangelists.Time/Life recently did a full magazine of photos on him. I bought a copy for my mother who always felt that he had hung the moon.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very true Ken, thanks for sharing that. As the old saying goes, "If you don't believe in something you'll fall for anything."

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm an atheist but you have to respect Graham, never a hint of impropriety around him. Very rare in his business.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1593 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My thoughts exactly Grizz. I'm not an atheist; more agnostic even though I was raised in a very Christian environment. A good friend of mine who just happens to be a Methodist minister told me this. " The Catholics say the Pope says, the Church of Christers say that Christ says, The baptists say the bible says, the Buddhists say budda says, the Methodists say Well now it seems to me..."

one of us
posted Hide Post
Atheist, Agnostic, or Believer; a good man, is a good man.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ken, you hit the nail on the head!