THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Budweiser's new beer 1933 repeal reserve review
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Budweiser's new beer 1933 repeal reserve review Login/Join 
one of us
posted
Having seen it advertised in various spots on NFL games, I wanted to try some. So my faithful wife bought the last and only six pack she could find locally in Texarkana.

Supposedly brewed using a pre-prohibition recipe, it is a fairly good brew to my tastes. Dark, with a slight lean towards hoppy, I like it. No, it ain't the equivalent of my favorite, Samuel Adams Lager, but it is quite drinkable. It has a fairly high abv of over 6%, so it is not a driving beer.

Based on Bud's various "off the reservation" efforts in the past (anyone remember "World Beer" which I reallly liked...gone in the blink of time's eye), I'd try it now, it probably won't be around long.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I commend you for your taste in Sam Adams. However, I wouldn't drink any Budweiser if it was the only thing in the coller. Personal opinion.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5503 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To each his own. I'm not going to argue tastes, but since you seem to be downgrading Budweiser products which are, if not, the largest selling beer in the US, your tastes in beer can hardly be called normal.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Charlie, thanks for the heads up. I will look for it. I'm with Jim on regular Bud and Michelob. Yuck.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Texans ain't so damn picky as some claim to be. Get real hot, real dry on a hot day and see how your tastes change when Bud is all that's in the ice chest.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Of course, I might add that neither of the two above posters have tried Bud 1933 so the obvious conclusion is they are talking out their asses.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bud is going back to make good beer? What's this world coming to.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Just braved day-before-Thanksgiving grocery crowds looking for the 1933 Bud, but no soap. Lowe's was out of Lone Star as well, so I brought home a half dozen of Dale's Pale Ale in gratitude for their sponsorship of several of the films in this year's fly-fishing film festival. I remain intrigued by the theoretical concept of Budweiser producing a drinkable beer, however, so will keep a weather eye out for the 1933.

hilbily

– John Green, author

Posts: 16419 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna look for some as well.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I have come up empty in my limited searches so far. Anyone else find a half-dozen of the 1933?

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill:

I dunno, it seems to becoming more available locally. Perhaps Bud's ad campaign was ahead of their distribution? At any rate, while drinkable, it certainly is not so fine as to warrant extra efforts. JMHO.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Found six. I give Bud a high five for trying. The color is nice -- almost a root beer. There is a little bit of flavor -- to me, I taste a hint of caramel and even a hint of licorice. Whatever hop they are using is less bitter to me than it is slightly medicinal. Doubt I will buy more, as I think a Lone Star has it beat, but geez, at least the Clydesdale boys gave it a try, and it is far superior to the rice swill they call the "King of Beers."

patriot

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't find any at our HEB superstore.I would like to try it,but I agree with you Bill,it's pretty hard to beat a Lone Star longneck.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since when is Lone Star a hoppy amber? It’s not so why even compare the two. And let’s be honest.....there’s one and only one reason you love Lone Star and it ain’t the taste.

If ice cold Bud is all that’s available then it’s f***ing delicious.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of course its not a hoppy amber,never said it was.Also there is a big difference in taste between the longnecks + their canned beer.I don't care for the canned taste;besides there is nothing wrong with state pride.EVERYONE knows what the state of Texas outline looks like;you can't say that for any other state.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
Since when is Lone Star a hoppy amber? It’s not so why even compare the two. And let’s be honest.....there’s one and only one reason you love Lone Star and it ain’t the taste.

If ice cold Bud is all that’s available then it’s f***ing delicious.

Now there's a man who understands. Lone Star would be just another swill if it wasn't for the name and a marketing genius, now deceased, whose name I've forgotten.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't even get started on Pearl,since they get the water out of the San Antonio river walk.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shouldn't rate beers, because I don't drink them with that in mind, but, for the 3 we are discussing, Regular Bud, 2.75/5.0, Bud 33 3.25/5.0, Lone Star 2.0/5.0.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Don't even get started on Pearl,since they get the water out of the San Antonio river walk.

Pearl is no longer made in San Antonio and the only production that I know of is in Ft. Worth.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
However, I wouldn't drink any Budweiser if it was the only thing in the cooler. Personal opinion.

Jim, you being raised on the products of a deep-woods still, that doesn't surprise me :-)

Posts: 20092 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
quote:
However, I wouldn't drink any Budweiser if it was the only thing in the cooler. Personal opinion.

Jim, you being raised on the products of a deep-woods still, that doesn't surprise me :-)

The man has a point Bud is to beer what tofu is to steak.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Very similar to the English taste in beers. Bud is a very light beer meant to be quaffed on hot days or as a thirst quencher with friends, not like semi-warm English brews where two limeys sit around discussing weighty world issues, such as the proper angle for the little finger while sipping tea.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:

Very similar to the English taste in beers. Bud is a very light beer meant to be quaffed on hot days or as a thirst quencher with friends, not like semi-warm English brews where two limeys sit around discussing weighty world issues, such as the proper angle for the little finger while sipping tea.

Complete rubbish.

There is no controversy as to the correct angle, the matter is settled. Big Grin

Budvar, who those Budweiser bastards had the temerity to try and sue, is the proper Budweiser.

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Lone Star is an above-average classic American lager. Budweiser does not even qualify as beer under German law.

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Lone Star isn above-average classic American lager. Budweiser does not even qualify as beer under German law.

Yup.

The legal battles: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...er_trademark_dispute

Apparently the beer is called "Czechvar" in the US, track it down and compare to Bud.

German beer laws:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinheitsgebot

And you know how seriously ze Germans take their rules... Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ghubert:
quote:
Lone Star isn above-average classic American lager. Budweiser does not even qualify as beer under German law.

Yup.

Apparently the beer is called "Czechvar" in the US, track it down and compare to Bud.

F@ck the German. We kicked their ass so they can make blasers and scopes and second tier cars.

Bud is my beer of choice if the much better Mexican beers are not available.

Yesterday I turned down Bud to drink crappy kingfisher on tap in Bombay - I regret it. Should have had the king of beers.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mike, I sure hope you are not including Corona among those "better Mexican beers," such as Dos Equis and Negra Modelo. I find Corona almost as awful as Bud. Another beer FAIL that has me shaking my head ...

hilbily

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mike, I sure hope you are not including Corona among those "better Mexican beers," such as Dos Equis and Negra Modelo. I find Corona almost as awful as Bud. Another beer FAIL that has me shaking my head ...

hilbily

Modelo
Dos Equis
Pacifico
Carona

I also drink them as Chelada or michelada

I like Mexican beers. Salt lime and I am happy.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn, now we're going international. There are some Mexican beers I like, and some I really don't. Among the latter group are Corona, Pacifico, Sol, and some I can't think of. I like Tecate, Negra Modelo, Modelo Especial ain't bad, Dos Equis, Tres Equis, and some others like Victoria that I haven't had lately. All this shows is that there ain't no accounting for tastes. Many Americans like Budweiser, those who don't can suck German ass.

Since we're pissing on the pope, so to speak, there are damn few African beers worth drinking, if Bud was available.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Charlie, you're making me laugh out loud. At least we agree on Corona. I'm normally good for well over six beers, but we were at a friend's house and he thought he was doing us favors serving cold Coronas. I choked the first one down and went dry the rest of the night. Felt like a Methodist.
The beers I remember from Namibia were good, solid lagers, like Lone Stars. Way better than that crap rice beer from St. Louis. If I used Bud for slug bait, I would feel sorry for the slugs.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill:

Let me sum up your beer preferences with this; If you had any taste at all, you'd be in Texas, not New Mexico. Ha. dancing

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW, there are many beer review sites on the web. Find ONE, please, that ranks Lone Star above Bud.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I’m in the boat that I can only enjoy a Bud if damn cold and no other options. However, I don’t mind the Budweiser brewed in Argentina.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3434 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bill:

Let me sum up your beer preferences with this; If you had any taste at all, you'd be in Texas, not New Mexico. Ha. dancing

Charlie, my people had the good sense to gather up their kids and their cattle and move to this part of New Mexico in 1884.
As to reviews that rank Lone Star above Bud, I pay attention to the only review that counts -- MINE!

pissers moon beer

– John Green, author

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
Originally posted by Ghubert:
quote:

Yup.

F@ck the German. We kicked their ass so they can make blasers and scopes and second tier cars.

Bud is my beer of choice if the much better Mexican beers are not available.

Yesterday I turned down Bud to drink crappy kingfisher on tap in Bombay - I regret it. Should have had the king of beers.

Mike

I have news for you buddy, all those Mexican beers you like are actually German beers in the first place... Big Grin

Kingfisher is bad but not as bad as bud, must have been a bad pint.

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Damn, now we're going international. There are some Mexican beers I like, and some I really don't. Among the latter group are Corona, Pacifico, Sol, and some I can't think of. I like Tecate, Negra Modelo, Modelo Especial ain't bad, Dos Equis, Tres Equis, and some others like Victoria that I haven't had lately. All this shows is that there ain't no accounting for tastes. Many Americans like Budweiser, those who don't can suck German ass.

Since we're pissing on the pope, so to speak, there are damn few African beers worth drinking, if Bud was available.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do and so in Africa I drink brandy and coke from a can until it's time to get the Whisky out! Big Grin

This is all by the by, the proper beer is English bitter served at room temperature.

You ought to be able to find Fullers ESB (extra special Best) in bottles, try some as it's a damn fine drop.

Don't drink it cold!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Bill:

Charlie, my people had the good sense to gather up their kids and their cattle and move to this part of New Mexico in 1884.
As to reviews that rank Lone Star above Bud, I pay attention to the only review that counts -- MINE!

pissers moon beer

Well, that answers that, following in some dumb ancestors paths, no wonder you like Lone Star.
Ignoring other's opinions and asserting yours is superior is a personal problem.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Charlie, I never said my opinion was superior. It's just that it counts very highly with me.
Not all my people left for New Mexico. Great-great Grandpa Jim still rests in Kimble County, in Junction:

jimwaylandtxgrave by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/93930283@N08/]

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
At least he had good taste and stayed in the right place. Apparently his taste was not passed on.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
Ouch... Big Grin

Bill,

That man gone and shot the red bobble right off your hat, you gonna let him get away with that pardner?

Big Grin