New
Find
Notify
Tools

SXSW Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
This might not interest too many here but this year Austin has stated today that for this year they are canceling the SXSW festival. I am sure it is due to the potential caronavirus threat. Although it annually brings in billions to the local businesses, I know most everyone who lives here is glad to see it not happening. You can't imagine the influx of people when it occurs + you must admit, it would be a potentially devastating situation with that many people here + then traveling back home.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
couldn't happen to more deserving event! maybe the freaks will start going somewhere else next year. totally paralyzes austin for days. maybe next year they will go to california and shit on the sidewalks for their "event".

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
The estimate was about $350M. The Súper Bowl brings in $300-500M depending on venue and teams.

SXSW is really just a modern day Woodstock.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It does bring in a lot of money but also chaos in the city as well. I stay out of town during any of the festivals; regular traffic is bad enough.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That being said, I have a friend that has a large house off of Barton springs BLVD. + in addition to her rental property she rents out rooms during the festival crazes for her income. Now the city Of Austin knows about it + are charging anyone doing so with an additional "Hotel Tax".