Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Olympics! Login/Join 
one of us
posted
Well I finally took some time to try to see the Tokyo Olympics! All I could find of the opening ceremony was the fireworks display and the drones. Both pretty spectacular, but I would like to have seen more. I really don't care about the demonstrations. That's news, not the games. I have not seen any of the events on TV. I don't have cable, but do get NBC broadcast. I have no idea when it is on or what they are showing. So that leaves the NBC olympic website on my tablet. OK but not really impressive. Comments:
1. An Algerian judoka was suspended for refusng to fight an Israeli opponent. Interestingly, he was sanctioned by the sport, not just the Olympics. Good! I am tired of this S--t. Kick him out so that he never shows up again!
2. Many years ago I played badminton and fenced at the college level. What I did was NOTHING like the way they play the game now! With fencing, I am not sure that I like the modern game. Badminton is impressive though!
3. NBC thinks that all Americans want to see is the finals. Is that true? I want to see the competition. All of it. I like the idea of watching a 16 year old table tennis player in the Olympics. What is wrong with watching the preliminary rounds of International Skeet Shooting?
4. I don't need to see it live. Just put it out there and let me watch it.
5. I guess I am just an old fart. Probably, but I think they need me, because I just do not see the enthusiasm for the games among today's younger folk that I had when I was younger.
6. Still waiting for Eventing and Cross Country equestrian!
Oh well!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we won gold in a few shooting disciplines.
you umm see anything about that anywhere?

anyway if you got cable they have this thing called the Olympic channel.

it sucks during the summer, but during the winter they show Luge, Bob sledding, and
Bi Athlon every week.
the Olympics are also on nbc sports, USA and 1-2 others.

still not watching because they won't show what I want to watch.

Posts: 4980 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Lamar, I'm not surprised that that was played low key. I haven't been watching them but my wife has + said that America is behind everyone on everything. Maybe, I don't know. The shooting would be nice to watch + my favorite has always been gymnastics.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, Hancock won the Skeet Gold medal, but other countries won the Air Rifle, Rapid Fire Pistol and 50 metre pistol events I believe. I haven't heard anything about the Modern Pentathlon. For me, as I thought I said, it is not about the medals but about the competition. Old hat, I know, but I want the best person to win. Weird.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I used to enjoy watching the olympics. I think with the current trend in US sports to disparage our country that most people simply don't care anymore. We are not allowed to be proud of our country and it shows. Too bad, really. I know how hard folks work to get to the games. I won't be watching either.

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So, Ann, you are not going to watch the Olympics because you are not allowed to be proud of your country? Who says? Biden? The Democrats? The liberal media? Glad you listen to all these folks. I will continue to try to watch the best athletes the world has to offer. Like you, I (think I) know how hard folks work to get to the games. All of them. Not just Americans. That was the dream of Pierre de Coubertin.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
I used to enjoy watching the olympics. I think with the current trend in US sports to disparage our country that most people simply don't care anymore. We are not allowed to be proud of our country and it shows. Too bad, really. I know how hard folks work to get to the games. I won't be watching either.

That where I’m at. I’m not that interested in burning our flag, kneeling or other disrespect for our country. Have not watched a second of it and that will remain all I watch. In the past, I watched much of it.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

Problem is some of your athletes have brought politics into it.

Something I don’t like, and I suspect not many do.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66993 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

Something I don’t like, and I suspect not many do.

Exactly. It only takes one rotten apple to spoil the bushel. It's my take that karma hit the US women's soccer team.

Peter, I am glad you can still enjoy the games.

And just to lighten things up a bit:

~Ann

Posts: 19168 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now, Ann, THAT is funny! I remember it well!
Peter

One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

Good one Ann!

Posts: 2948 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
And, Amber England won the gold medal for the U.S. in Skeet, beating out her olympic gold medal contender from Italy. I loved watching the men's skeet. And, that gentleman from Kuwait that was shooting skeet at the age of 50+ something and had competed in like 7 Olympic Games-cool!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Saeed: It's not just the U.S. protesting. Today a gymnast from Costa Rica knelt in support of Black Lives Matter. Again, a crock of shizz!

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
GOOD one Ann!
Seems like I saw something about her and skating fairly recently.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use Enough Gun, you beat me to it! The Kuwati guy is 57 years old and this was his 7th Olympics. Won a Bronze medal! I didn't mention it because he wasn't American and Ann would be upset.
Did you see the USA vs China Mens Badminton? All 4 players were Chinese! Oh well!
As for Tonya Harding, I would not want to get in a boxing ring with her!
As to this:
"Problem is some of your athletes have brought politics into it."
I guess Saeed forgot about the Algerian Judo guy I mentioned!
Peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I watch the Olympics on YouTube. Not live, but all the dead time is eliminated.

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes,,, Saeed,,,, exactly.

I thought we won the 15 meter air gun gold too.

also
I hear they made all the trap shooters cover up the name of their gun brand with tape,,, but were allowed to have stickers on their barrels?

Posts: 4980 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess Saeed forgot about the Algerian Judo guy I mentioned!

Yeah, that one too. It's not solely relegated to U.S. athletes. Big Grin I do remember the ultimate protest-the Munich massacre.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Nice one Ann. I remember the Harding/ Kerrigan story quite well.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Nice one Ann. I remember the Harding/ Kerrigan story quite well.

Me to

That makes us old Norm Frowner

Posts: 19392 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Osaka git beat! clap

Stupid woman complaining about publicity, then she is on every silly magazine cover!

Well deserved!

I don’t like allowing freaks to compete in women’s sport either!

They have dicks, so they should be competing against men!

Posts: 66993 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh and now Simone Biles is gone from the team gymnastics subsequently reported to be due to a so-called "medical issue", but it has now truthfully been reported and revealed to be due to her stress in simply competing. She said that she was "dealing with a few things". The initial report was that she had backed out due to a mental health issue. Sounds like that was accurate. The U.S. took a silver medal in the team competition in spite of this. That's at least two Olympic games superstars that have now excused their mediocre or poor performances on stress in competing. However, Lydia Jacoby, our little 17 year old high school wonder from Seward, Alaska won the gold medal in the 100 meter breast stroke swim event! I guess that she just didn't think about it and avoided the stress! clap Way to go Lydia!!!! tu2 tu2 tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gee, what is the matter with you guys? Is there anyone you don't hate or despise? Or are you just jealous?
"I guess that she just didn't think about it and avoided the stress!"
NO! No one had ever heard of her until a few days ago, hence, NO STRESS.
At this level there is not much that separates the top competitors in any sport. Hancock only made it after a shootoff in the preliminaries. But he won.
"When you reach that elite level, 90 percent is mental and 10 percent is physical."
I am sure I am wasting my time, but I had to say it.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lighten up Peter. Lighten up. rotflmo Big Grin No hate, despising or jealousy here for any of them. I only wish all of them the very best of luck. Just stating the facts that a couple of the more famous ones CHOKED, while the 17 year old did just fine! clap There have been more apologies from the gymnast today. You might need a break from AR. clap All of my family and friends in Alaska had heard of Lydia-it's just that perhaps you, among others, hadn't. Moreover, I'm sure that that fact is true of a significant number of athletes at the Olympic games. Unheard of or relatively unknown to the vast majority of the world. Big Grin All the best to you. Continue on. tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good post UEG! If you remember I started this thread. I found it interesting that for a shooting and hunting website, no one had raised the Olympics as something worth commenting on! Why? Because no one gives a s--t. No one, as near as I can tell, shoots bullseye pistol. I do. No one, as near as I can tell shooots IPSC or IDPA. I used to, and still shoot El Presidente at the range just to keep my hand in. I shoot (American) skeet, and have tried my hand at International skeet, so that is something that I have more than a passing interest in.
No one has mentioned Kim Rhode. 6 Olympic Games, 6 medals, Skeet, Trap etc. etc. An alternate for the US Olympic Team this year. I guess she choked!
I guess this sums it up for most AR members:
"I’m not that interested in burning our flag, kneeling or other disrespect for our country. Have not watched a second of it and that will remain all I watch"
So much for Lydia Jacoby, who presumably has spent a significant part of her life training for just this day. Why? To be the best that she can be, use her talents to the fullest, and represent her country against the best that the world has to offer.
Oops, there I go again.
Peter

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great comments Peter. Yes, when Kim Rhode was edged out by Amber England, she congratulated Amber and supported her and continued to mentor her all the way. That is the essence of a real Olympic Champion. And, even to the point of congratulating and thanking Amber for bringing home the Gold Medal. No excuses, no self aggrandizement, just support for the winning competitor from her own Country. That's what's needed today. Kim Rhode is the essence of the greatness of an Olympic Gold Medalist. Finally, you for sure know the hours, days, weeks, months and years that go into training for serious competition. tu2

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Actually, I enjoy watching it.

Especially when silly idiots - the US women’s football team, for example, get their arse kicked!

And that stupid Jap women loosing in tennis! clap

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Huh? 2020

You must be watching on a different channel. Like any countries athletes competing in the Olympics some do well, some don't. But I've seen plenty of celebrating going on when the US athletes won.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Trap:

Gold and Silver for the Czech Republic!!!

Posts: 2076 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great topic Peter!

I cannot stand people doing their little "protests". The Olympics are for unifying, coming together, and
competing. I have no interest in ones personal "agenda". I guess I am not very sympathetic. If one is under stress and I have no doubt many are, they should have withdrawn BEFORE the games. Once you commit to your team or country, you should go through with it, regardless of your performance. There are many people who are dealing with a lot worse "stress" than an athlete.

For the most part, I respect mot of our athletes and really like the Olympics. There is no need to "boycott" based on the actions of a few.

It's a great time for countries to come together and forget about the idiot politicians and media whose objective is to conquer and divide!

I am really looking forward to the wrestling (I believe it starts this weekend).

Posts: 2641 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a good friend try to make a big deal out of the women's soccer team taking a knee. I stopped him and said, "On a scale of one to ten, with ten being the Trump thugs attacking the Capitol, where does a women's soccer team taking a knee fall on that scale?"

That was the end of that political discussion. (The other three men are all Trumpers.)

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well Kensco, thanks for posting. I am confused. I am trying to figure out who is dumber, you or your friend? Did the women's soccer team do anything illegal? Did the Trump thugs do anything illegal?
In any case, back to the Olympics. I KNOW that Ann will hate me for this, but all praise to Flora Duffy, Bermuda, for winning the Women's Triathlon, a first Gold medal for Bermuda. She had no coach, no team manager, no cycle mechanic. Did it all herself. Her 4th Olympics.
Then there is Alessandra Perilli, San Marino, Bronze medal in women's trap!
I think there is plenty to be happy about. I, of course, know that many on this forum don't want to be happy, except when they are complaining about something eg. the women's soccer team. I am sure that they are happy when the team loses (serves them right) but just won't say so, although Saeed has! To hell with the naysayers. The USA women's soccer team is now a powerhouse. Remember when they weren't even mentioned in world team circles?
The games are a success. They celebrate what is good about the world. Even the ROC. Know what that is? Russia Olympic Committee. There is NO Russian team in the Olympics. They were banned for doping, but the Olympics are important enough for them to weedle their way in.
Enough. Stiil waiting for Equestrian Eventing.
Peter

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did the Trump thugs do anything illegal?

Did you hear about the U.S. Capitol getting ransacked? Sorry I woke you. I think you just took the award for dumbest.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My sincere apologies Kensco. I must have misinterpreted your post. When you get the chance perhaps you can explain it!
BTW you did not "woke" me!
Another BTW, American swimmer Ryan Murphy, after losing to Russian swimmers in two races said "I'm swimming in a race that is probably not clean". Must be sour grapes, after all, Russsia is our friend, and, the Russians were not happy!
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I KNOW that Ann will hate me for this, but all praise to Flora Duffy, Bermuda, for winning the Women's Triathlon, a first Gold medal for Bermuda. She had no coach, no team manager, no cycle mechanic. Did it all herself. Her 4th Olympics.

I do not understand your comment? Care to explain?

~Ann