Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Does This Scam Work? Login/Join 
one of us
posted
On the 6th, UPS delivered a package to our house, addressed to me. That happens to be my wife's birthday. (An extra $25 was charged to get the package to us overnight.) We weren't expecting any package.

When I opened the box, there was a statement saying that a $2,175 monogrammed apparel from Yves Saint Laurent had been purchased with a credit card. There was an email on the statement that we didn't recognize. Without even opening the package to see the "apparel", we immediately called our credit card companies to see if we had a fraudulent charge. We didn't. I then called YSL and told them we had received a package and gave them the transaction number. They said it was a valid purchase, but couldn't give me any information on the purchaser. They said I could return the "gift" and the cost would be refunded to the credit card used. That's my plan. (The monogrammed item happens to be a YSL purse, with only their monogram on it.)

YSL said they do have a lot of fraud related to delivery addresses, which makes me think I may have someone ring my doorbell looking for "their" package.

Anyone experienced anything similar?

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One would buy a "apparel" costing 2K+ on the internet?

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
One would think that the scam would be that when you called (in panic) to ask why you were sent a $2k purse, the person on the other end would have asked for your credit card info to "verify" and then you would have had a swarm of fraudulent charges before you could cancel the card.

If my credit card company told me there was no fraudulent activity on your card, I would hang on to it and see who came calling for it. You are under no obligation to return it.

Posts: 310 | Location: NE Texas | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My problem is, I feel like someone's credit card is being abused. It would almost have to be a relative because of the way they wrote my name. Gotta send it back.

I was almost hoping someone would come to the door asking for the purse. I would like to turn them down and get a license plate number.

A friend suggested I talk to a certain Captain in the local police department that works fraud cases.

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
This explains the scam:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...UlT9?ocid=spartandhp

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2305 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Labman:
This explains the scam:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...UlT9?ocid=spartandhp

Yeah, but somehow I don't picture Y. S. Laurent giving away 2K purses for a positive review. In short, I don't think it applies to this case.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
My problem is, I feel like someone's credit card is being abused. It would almost have to be a relative because of the way they wrote my name. Gotta send it back.

I was almost hoping someone would come to the door asking for the purse. I would like to turn them down and get a license plate number.

A friend suggested I talk to a certain Captain in the local police department that works fraud cases.

Yeah, if that happened to me, and I thought you were the victim, I would immediatedly call the company and say he told me to tell you to send another dozen. They'd bring good money on ebay and someone who lives your life style could afford the maximum $50 charge. dancing

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you have the scenario right. Someone that may know you probably had their info stolen. IF there is a receipt with the bag, it might have the last four digits of the credit card used. If so, I would make a few friendly calls to relatives, friends, and even Gato Smiler to see if they have cards with the same last four digits and give them a heads up.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
YSL said they would provide me the last four digits of the credit card, but then didn't. I went to UPS today.

The last "YSL" purse my wife and I remember getting was in Beijing in 2012. There is a multi-story building there known for their knock-offs. Our guide told us that when we walked in to look at purses for my wife, to look around a little and then tell the salesgirl we didn't see anything we liked. They then open a hidden doorway to where the better knockoffs are sold. My wife picked out a "YSL" bag she liked.

A few days later I went back to another shop in the building and picked up a set of "Pings". You pay about about 1/10th the price of the real things.

I found it interesting that as we were leaving the building the first day, the UCLA Bruins (basketball) team was just arriving.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
As the old saying goes,they could make more money doing it legally;these kids think that they are onto something new,that has NEVER been done before their time (like fucking)[yeah,they are the generatiuon that figured it out.]

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1075 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I understand why YSL decided not to provide me the last four digits of the credit card used to buy that $2,175 purse. It appeared in my credit card statement this month. It was my credit card. When I checked with my credit card company the day the purse arrived, they said there was no charge to my account. Two weeks later YSL slipped the charge through.

Since I returned the purse to YSL a few days after it arrived, YSL, three weeks later, refunded my account, except for the shipping charges. They wanted me to pay shipping for an item I didn't order.

My credit card company refunded me the shipping charges.

I closed my credit card account today. Someone knew my credit card number and my wife's birthday. That's enough reason.