Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spanking - What's Your Opinion? Login/Join 
one of us
posted
I think political correctness is at work here. I believe they've tried to crucify Adrian Peterson using a switch on his son.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news...iefs-on-spanking.ece

I was spanked as a child, at home and in school. I don't have Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome because of it. I was disciplined with a hand, belt, wooden paddle, once with a tennis racket, and probably other forms I don't remember. I spanked my children when they were young. Both my son and daughter had their "ah-ha" moment when their little brains, with crystal clarity, registered that they weren't running anything in my household. Tough-love worked and they grew up to be responsible adults.

My comparison is a close relative, no spankings issued there. The children set their own limits, and over time began to dictate to their parents. They grew up to be spoiled under-achievers that had little respect for authority, and to this day think society owes them a living.

I don't have a problem with corporal punishment, within limits. I see a lot of young people these days that needed a good spanking about 10 to 20 years ago, and are less than what they could have been because they never received one, and had that "ah-ha" moment of their own.

My daughter is raising her daughter without spankings. So far, so good.

Posts: 13784 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think that most of us got some sort of spanking when we were little. I know I did, both with the hand, yard stick (broken on me!) and a switch. By far the worst was the switch! I was smart enough that only happened once.
But from the pictures I saw, what Peterson did was, in my opinion, brutal and abuse. Does he have the right to discipline his child: yes; but not abuse.

Posts: 610 | Location: NC | Registered: 17 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
before or after sex?? Big Grin

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ftg767:
I would think that most of us got some sort of spanking when we were little. I know I did, both with the hand, yard stick (broken on me!) and a switch. By far the worst was the switch! I was smart enough that only happened once.
But from the pictures I saw, what Peterson did was, in my opinion, brutal and abuse. Does he have the right to discipline his child: yes; but not abuse.

I tend to agree. I think he got carried away, or maybe he has problems, I dunno but he went way beyond what a loving parent should do to a child IMO.

I spanked (if you want to call it that) my children exactly three times for the 3 (of course, one may still get an attitude adjustment as a 15 yr old girl, those who have been there will understand..... Roll Eyes). One time, I whacked the middle girl on the butt lightly when she stayed in bed or something when she was supposed to be moving and she called it a spanking. The other time, my son was beating on the above middle girl when he was about 5 and she was about 3. I lightly spanked him, telling him, "I don't care what she does, we don't hit girls, especially your sisters. If you've got a problem, come to me and I'll fix it." That lasted about an hour or so and she stole one of his toys or something, and he whacked her again. I wore his butt out with my hand that time, telling him, "Does this hurt?" "Yes, Daddy.", crying. "Well it hurts her when you hit your sister and if you do it again, this will be just a warm up." While they may not have kissed and made up, that was the end of physical sibling strife in my house. Both are in UT Austin as I write with high A averages.

I hear locals (rural Texas) threatening their kids all the time with a "whupping" and meaning it for minor stuff. I'm not for government involvement in the family, but some people don't know how to be parents because they were beaten on when they were kids and think that's the norm. I dunno what I would do if I saw someone really beating the crap out of a child, but I'd probably call 911. At my age, trying to admonish him would likely escalate the problem from child abuse to homicide when I had to protect myself.

To repeat, when you do to a 4 yr old what Petersen did, you have crossed the line in my mind. I hope he gets off with some light punishment and/or therapy and can go back to football but with the media howling, it might be tough for him to do.

There an old saying among dog trainers that you should never be mad when you punish a dog, same thing holds true for a child.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While I think more than minor spanking is probably a sign of some sort of parenting failure, I'm more worried about government involvement than the, hopefully few, cases of parental abuse.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was spanked and "whooped" by loving parents, grandparent and aunts and uncles, when I got it it was deserved. Never any cuts or bruises. I spanked my children also, when it was needed.

This football player is an animal, possibly the father of 7 children with 7 different women. Wonder what is wrong with black society today?

Posts: 41790 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Anyone remember the old saying "Spare the rod and spoil the child"? It was the result of centuries of raising children.

That saying, BTW, does NOT condone child beating or wife beating, or "beating" of anyone else. But it does certainly condone, with good reason, occasional infliction of light pain (and maybe a few welts) as a decent recourse with kids who simply will NOT listen to legitimate authority... such as parents, teachers, or law enforcers.

The lesson is one which seems to be forgotten these days...no sane person really enjoys pain, and they soon come to connect doing wrong with receiving pain as a consequence....the amount of pain commensurate with the degree of the offense.

It is good for them, good for those who have to live around them, and good for society.

It also needs to be followed with expressions of love to the child, and an explanation of exactly why it was done, and generally treating the child with the same respect any well-behaved adult would receive. That especially includes listening to a child's explanation of why he/she thinks or wants certain things, and the adult's willingness to admit the child may be right and the adult may be wrong, given the immediate circumstances.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It all started when child psychologists were invented .Especially Dr Spock. His book became the bible for many parents.
Disipline is the opposite of love. Therefore NO spanking.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Discipline, including spanking, and abuse of any kind in humans or animals are worlds apart. Peterson went over the line as far as I'm concerned.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I raised 3 boys (all grown now) by myself after the ex ran off with the circus so to speak.They were at the time 15,12,+ 3. The oldest needed his butt spanked regularly for doing everything that boys do but we have to disuade them from doing or else we are not a good parent The occurances were so wide+ broad that I can't list them all,from climbing the town water tower to at the age of 3 climging onto the tailgate of the pickup to do a 30 mile drive down the highway because he just HAD to see the dump.. My second son only needed a couple,he was a good kid. My youngest was an angel + never needed one.I might add that all 3 are excellant young men + pillars of their community.That is a parents goal + I thank God that it worked out just so.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
It all started when child psychologists were invented .Especially Dr Spock. His book became the bible for many parents.
Disipline is the opposite of love. Therefore NO spanking.

I hope you really don't belief discipline is the opposite of love. That simply isn't true, especially with self discipline. Without self-discipline there is no real love of self.

Self-discipline isn't an automatic innate feature of the young mind. It has to be taught to them. Properly implemented appropriate discipline (not necessarily physical, but including that when appropriate) is a necessary component of parents' love and teaching of self-discipline their otherwise undisciplined children.

And if you don't think moderate pain is sometimes a useful tool in teaching self-discipline, think back....as a wee tot how did you learn not to touch hot items or flames? You gained a bunch of self-discipline from that experience, eh? And I doubt if it harmed your psyche any either...

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There just isn't a "one size fits all" approach to child rearing. Despite what the so called experts would have you believe (if you read their book or watch some of the stupid day time TV)
Like NC said, each child is different and respond to different things.
FWIW, I have read the Spock book and nowhere does it say you can't spank your kid, but parents have been using that as license to let their kid run wild.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once was a child. Both my parents spanked me and my sister---when we deserved it. We both became educated, productive members of society. Having educated, trained and disciplined my kids, I believe I've been a good parent. Many people have marveled at how good my kids are. It makes me proud to know that my love, time and energy have been rewarded.
All my kids are black----and have four legs.
I always felt that if I ever had a 2 legged kidS, I would raise them the same way. If they turned out similar to the 4 legged ones, I would again be a proud , happy father.
Contrast my sister. She lives in granolaville and has bought into the psycho babble crap. No spanking! Don't use the word no !
Now she wishes her husband made more money so they could go to therapy !
Yep, as posted earlier, spare the rod, spoil the child.
Is spanking part of parenting ? Yes , just like teaching and loving your kids.
I think we are seeing what happens when people don't.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
There just isn't a "one size fits all" approach to child rearing. Despite what the so called experts would have you believe (if you read their book or watch some of the stupid day time TV)
Like NC said, each child is different and respond to different things.
FWIW, I have read the Spock book and nowhere does it say you can't spank your kid, but parents have been using that as license to let their kid run wild.

Agreed! Mom had the Spock book too..everyone had one back in the 60's....didn't matter. Spanking, if warranted, got administered.

Good parenting isn't a one-size deal. Kids, like all people are different from one another. That said, there is a difference between a spanking and a beating.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My father was a master sergeant, a platoon sergeant. There was a certain amount of discipline around the house. I got my hide tanned when I deserved it, but it did little good.

When I became a father, I took the same approach, at first. My son was the most hard-headed little sob I've ever met. I think he'd have stumped the sarge. I could have beat him within an inch of his life and it only would have convinced him to be more contrary.

I had to try a Plan B or deal with CPS. I think it was the right choice. He's 24 now. I don't think he hates me.

Posts: 10038 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As long as the woman is over 18, I'm in favor of it, just as a change of pace...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
As long as the woman is over 18, I'm in favor of it, just as a change of pace...

Unhunnh, but which of you is getting spanked? Wink

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On the Petersen case: I guess I'm just not a very good or typical American, because I don't have nearly the outrage over the switch incident, when compared to the piece of shit having 6 kids with six different plug and play units. Maybe I need to take that cultural sensitivity training again. Damn.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope you realize that Peterson does not have multiple children with multiple wives or lady friends.
Bringing black into this is very wrong!

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I could be wrong on the 6kids6women. But at least I didn't make it up. Got it from the Pioneer Press and Star Tribune.

Plus I didn't bring up race, because I don't think about it when I criticize or praise someone.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This football player is an animal, possibly the father of 7 children with 7 different women. Wonder what is wrong with black society today?

This is by JTex and Peterson has a son that he spanked from a previous girlfriend and a daughter by his wife. That is all that he has. It is nice when people search facts before posting something.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
quote:

This is by JTex and Peterson has a son that he spanked from a previous girlfriend and a daughter by his wife. That is all that he has. It is nice when people search facts before posting something.

Well, maybe, but you're leaving out the one who died/was murdered that he only saw on his death bed. So that's 3. Then there's the one who cut his head on the carseat while being beaten by Petersen in 2013. That's 4...........

If you think it's only 2, I'll bet A LOT of money on the over if you want to bet.

What amazes me is that so many women will screw him (or any celebrity) without using birth control.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charlie, I confused. Did he kill a kid and get away with it?

one of us
posted Hide Post
No, one of his out of wedlock children, like they all were until he married his current wife this year, was beaten so severely by the baby mama's then boy friend that he died from his injuries, but was in a coma for a while and Peterson went to visit him in the hospital. That happened in Oct, 2013 in South Dakota.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So Mr. Peterson didn't switch him to death? Charlie, I understand some of what you are saying, but not all that you are insinuating.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
but you're leaving out the one who died/was murdered that he only saw on his death bed.

If you can't understand that, which doesn't insinuate anything, and flatly states that, according to him and his father, the first time AP saw that particular child of his was on his death bed, then I don't think we can discuss this any farther.

I speak and write pretty plainly. I'm not insinuating anything except that AP screws a lot of women without protection on either side, and has had children with more than 3 of them.

What do you think I'm insinuating?

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charlie,
Has he been screwing a lot a lot of women? Where is your information?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what your problem is, besides the completely erroneous belief that Adrian Peterson has only had 2 children, but if you're attempting to impeach what I write, you better pack a lunch. AP admitted in his own words that he had been promiscuous on twitter among other places.

quote:
8. Do not repost the ESPN story from August when I admit I was promiscuous, made mistakes and had to change by ways.

Is that good enough information for you?

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charlie,
I kinda like you and won't carry this any further. I know when you get on something you don't let it go. I'll let you carry this as far as you want and not bother you further.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't start this, you did by your silly assertion that AP only had 2 children and attacking a poster for stating otherwise.

AFA the original topic goes, there is not a teacher in the State of Texas who would not be guilty of a misdemeanor IF they did not report within 48 hours a child who had injuries such as the ones that AP inflicted on his son. Among other things, saying, "Got him in the nuts once I noticed.", although he did say that made him feel bad......with a 4 year old!!!

BTW if there is anything I've written above that you think is wrong, then you need to gather a pile of money and let's bet on it.

xxxxxxxxxx