New
Find
Notify
Tools

BULL RIDING.......TEXAS TOUGH Login/Join 
one of us
posted
quote:
“There’s always a little bit of fear, but you always put it in the back of your mind. In bull riding, it’s not if you get hurt, it’s when and how bad.”
—Odessa College bull rider Bradie Gray to KWES. Gray recently suffered life-threatening injuries when he was thrown off of a bull at the National College Rodeo Finals in Wyoming in July, with broken ribs, collapsed lungs, and a bruised heart. But Gray, 20, miraculously made a full recovery, and he plans to rejoin the rodeo team at Odessa College in September.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you know how to tell if you are a Bull Rider?

You get a sock and fill it with marbles, every time you get on a bull you throw away a marble. When you've lost all your marbles you a bull rider.

Team Roping...easier jackpots, less injuries.

Posts: 2329 | Location: uSA | Registered: 02 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CowboyCS:
Do you know how to tell if you are a Bull Rider?

You get a sock and fill it with marbles, every time you get on a bull you throw away a marble. When you've lost all your marbles you a bull rider.

Team Roping...easier jackpots, less injuries.

You're assuming bull riders have all their marbles when they get into the sport. Wink

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
When I was younger and bulletproof, I used to do that.

We used to say, "If you have half a mind to ride bulls ........that's enough!"

This what I looked like when I did that, March of 1977

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12543 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Robert Earl Keene made a statement a few years ago on one of his albums."I had a bull riding career that lasted 3 seconds. Riding a bull is like going down the freeway at 80 MPH + then just chucking your steering wheel out the window."

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I rode in high school for a bit. This was before helmets and vests. We rode in places that would not have a chance at being insured today.

My "career" ended when I got hung up and a rear hoof came down mere inches from my marbles.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My "career" ended when I got hung up and a rear hoof came down mere inches from my marbles.

That would have been a real "ouchie". Frowner

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since this thread is about Cowboys, I want to share and highly recommend a short article from Texas Monthly I read the other night...http://features.texasmonthly.com/editorial/the-day-the-fire-came/....even tho the situations were not remotely related, I had to call my son's cell (he was driving home from Austin) to see if he was OK, thankfully he was.

A tragic tale of love, loss, and the dangers of fire. Very well written, IMO.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just watched a PBR event in Allen, TX yesterday evening. Lots of fun and no serious injuries.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by analog_peninsula:
Just watched a PBR event in Allen, TX yesterday evening. Lots of fun and no serious injuries.

Even more entertaining in a thoroughly muddy arena. Smiler

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I was always amazed how tuff some of the riders were and how fast they got back to their feet when id watch rodeos in Wyoming as a kid. That was years ago before the safety equipment. Tough individuals indeed but im sure they are crippled up now.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote