New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tick Season Login/Join 
one of us
posted
It's tick season again [if it ever stops ! ]
Here in the Catskill Mtns of NY they are out for sure .The ones I've seen are 1/16" long. After lots of moisture they'll do well this year. As a chronic Lyme type it's a big problem.
Take it seriously !!

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's why I spent last winter buying ElimiTick clothing, permetherin and lots of bug spray. The area my land is in has the ticks that carry the new Bourbon virus (named for Bourbon County Kansas), and I have enough wet land to make them plentiful all the time. Last weekend I got 3 off of me and 5 from my wife before they really dug in.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
CDC Talks Ticks

https://www.cdc.gov/ticks/diseases/

Some of the lesser known are the worst.

Coworker in Nashville died from failing to get help in time with Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

Apparently from a tick from his own house in the Nashville metro area.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Only thing that fire ants were good for;killing off the ticks.Years ago when we were bow hunting for hogs in Luling we would wear tights under our cammo but fill the tights with diatomatios earth SP It will keep off the ticks + fireants as well.We always hunted in pairs because if you broke a leg etc. the fireants would get you.I shot a sow once + before I could getv out of the tree,the eyes were covered with fireants.They are not a joking matter.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lived in OK for 15 years w/o a problem. First year I moved to TN, I came down with tick fever. that is some bad stuff.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
There's also an allergenic reaction associated with the bite of a certain species of tick and consumption of red meat.

Several years ago I went into anaphylactic shock and nearly died. Cause could not be determined, despite extensive allergy and blood test.

At the time I was living outside Atlanta, on 4 acres covered in pine trees and, not surprisingly, ticks.

I reacted very strongly to tick bites and as hard as I tried, couldn't avoid the little buggers.

After I moved to Florida a couple of years ago, I went to see a local allergy doctor who told me of recent research that associated red meat and tick bites with serious reactions that occurred hours after eating the meat.

Anaphylactic shock due to an allergic reaction usually occurs within minutes of contact with the allergen, but the tick/red meat reaction occurs several hours after consuming the meat.

Anyway, I haven't been bitten by any ticks since I moved to FL, and I also haven't had any more allergic reactions, even mild ones.

You can Google the "red meat/tick bites" studies and find there's a good deal of research that's been done.

In a way I was relieved, because for several years I had no idea what it was that nearly did me in--living in constant apprehension that one might go toes up for no discernible reason is about as bad as knowing what will kill you.

Maybe worse.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1546 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
O.K. Cringe City. Years ago when my middle son was a toddler he got into my dop kit . We used to use what was called "safety razors"Anyway he got intro my kit + bit down on a razor blade.Well shortly thereafter I found him sitting on the porch with blood running out of his mouth;fearing the worst I pried his jaws open. He had picked of a huge blood tick offv the dog + bit it.Thats been 30m odd years ago + it still makes me sic.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tick season was the one thing I dreaded about living in Connecticut. Most other things were just fine.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
https://www.sciencedaily.com/r.../04/170424152515.htm

Surprised ? Denying it didn't make it go away!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/r.../04/170424152515.htm

Surprised ? Denying it didn't make it go away!

Always thought ticks went only for warm blooded animals. Really love our moose here.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Oh, it's in full swing here in PA. I've picked them off my leg while eating dinner on the deck in the last few days, and the dog is like a sponge for them in spite of his flea and tick meds. I'm now making it a point to hose myself down with insect repellent and check thoroughly when I get back from running or hiking in the woods near the house. I have no desire to experience any tick-related diseases this summer.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.agriculture.pa.gov/...ease+Awareness+Month

Yes it really is bad in PA and adjoining NY. My doc says cedar oil is a natural .Haven't researched that yet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Any time there is not snow on the ground one is endanger.

I use Permethrin on my clothes it works great I use picaridin on my skin,

Lyme's is horrible stuff do every thing you can do to prevent it.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote