New
Find
Notify
Tools

Judicious application of force Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
There are those in our society who decry violence of any kind, saying it is never, ever justified. I beg to differ, when the recipient of proportional correction is a disrespectful hunk of manure whose mommy and daddy never raised their hands, much less their voices in teaching basic manners. There are circumstances under which a broken nose might prove to be wonderfully useful instruction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBG2IxzEn7g

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are people and or whole cultures that the only way to deal with them is force.

They see kindness, as a weakness to be used to their advantage.

I have ran into many that the only thing they care about is themselves. They are very willing to trod over others.

I could always tell by the way the parent acted if I was going to have further trouble with the chelid I was dealing with .

If the first words out of the parents mouth were not my Joey or why are you on picking on my Joey. Or something similar. I would see them in trouble most or all their lives.

If the parents helped solve the problem or took care of the matter shortly those children hardly ever repeated.

Posts: 19357 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My daughter quit teaching this year, after five years in the Buda, Texas school district. She was buying books for other people's children, buying food for other people's children; and being forced to allow kids that should have been in juvenile detention into her classroom to bully and provide a terrible example for the other kids..............then having to listen to their parents bitch about why she wasn't doing anything about it.

Meanwhile, she was being paid peanuts.

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are people and or whole cultures that the only way to deal with them is force.

Says it all.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1586 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
My daughter quit teaching this year, after five years in the Buda, Texas school district. She was buying books for other people's children, buying food for other people's children; and being forced to allow kids that should have been in juvenile detention into her classroom to bully and provide a terrible example for the other kids..............then having to listen to their parents bitch about why she wasn't doing anything about it.

Sounds like she made a good decision. It’s vey unfortunate that situation exists, but it’s very widespread.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Several school districts in Missouri have brought back paddling/corporal punishment. The students voted for it.

State run schools are not teaching and not paying good teachers well enough. I hope parents go back to a time where the community itself paid teacher salaries and get rid of the overwhelming number of overpaid administrators and destructive unions. For now, smart people who care about their children will home school.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
The real problem is parent involvement in the schools.
Even the best of men and women that work, parents that commute to work are detached. If you can't be there to really see what's going on , just taking someone's word for the situation ain't gonna cut it.

I'm lucky, I work locally and can be at school anytime I want. My uncle farmed at home and also was rarely more than maybe fifteen minutes from school. For those parents that can't be there, I don't know what to think.

I believe very strongly in community churches, schools, governments and organizations. I have zero expectations of educators, "Rulers", administrators, regulators or assistants that are half a world away.

As to the OP, I don't think I'll get to wound up about a hypothetical from our favorite movie. Hey, we love Duval, be it Apocalypse Now or trailing a couple pigs to Montana. Id imagine that hypothetical bartender had adequate opportunity in his youth to be instructed in manners, character and civility before he got out of first grade. I think we should be focusing on the little juvenile delinquents getting out of diapers now rather than when they're adults and beyond redemption on this earth.

Posts: 9086 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:

my grandkids 11 and 13 are in the process of being adopted by my younger son and wife. they are now enrolled in buda school system and say its on par or better than the schools they went to in (Summitt) in austin. what school did your daughter teach at in buda? buda is by no means a poor 3rd world country type town. in fact its fast becoming a tourist trap with lots of "hippie" shops and austin prices. my wife was in the el paso/cantuillo school district staff for years. 90% of the kids and some of the teachers couldn't even speak english. buying school supplies was expected of the teachers there. we have had no dealing with the buda school system, yet, but damn thats hard to hear. we didn't raise them here in san marcos because the schools are totally out of control here. lemme know if we should be concerned about the buda schools please.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please consider home schooling.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:

Ann:

I normally agree with your posts, but not the above. Your school system (state) must be different than the one I work for. Yes, I am a public teacher.

I have had experience with “students” that have been home schooled. They often lack social skills and struggle with the curriculum. I can say this confidently as I’ve been teaching more than 20 years. Of course, this does not apply to all students but it does to a lot of them.

As far as parents go in our district, for the most part, have been very supportive and good to me. Our administration, likewise, has been fair and values us. Our school board is amazing and continually puts the students and staff members first.

Now, the most important (best) part of the job is the students. I’d say kids now are better than the kids were from the 80’s, when I was going to school. Every day kids tell me ‘thank you’ at the end of each hour and are generally happy. Of course there are some challenges, but
not anything I cannot usually deal with. I’m strict in my classroom and demand respect. Those
that disagree, usually move on to other courses.

My three sons went to our public school. They all are successful and I would not have ever considered homeschooling them.

Notwithstanding my experience, I do realize that public education needs work. I hope to see improvement in the coming years.

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

We did a combination of home schooling, church school and small town public school.

Being very involved in your children's lives and what they learn is huge.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:

Ann:

I normally agree with your posts, but not the above. Your school system (state) must be different than the one I work for. Yes, I am a public teacher.

I have had experience with “students” that have been home schooled. They often lack social skills and struggle with the curriculum. I can say this confidently as I’ve been teaching more than 20 years. Of course, this does not apply to all students but it does to a lot of them.

As far as parents go in our district, for the most part, have been very supportive and good to me. Our administration, likewise, has been fair and values us. Our school board is amazing and continually puts the students and staff members first.

Now, the most important (best) part of the job is the students. I’d say kids now are better than the kids were from the 80’s, when I was going to school. Every day kids tell me ‘thank you’ at the end of each hour and are generally happy. Of course there are some challenges, but
not anything I cannot usually deal with. I’m strict in my classroom and demand respect. Those
that disagree, usually move on to other courses.

My three sons went to our public school. They all are successful and I would not have ever considered homeschooling them.

Notwithstanding my experience, I do realize that public education needs work. I hope to see improvement in the coming years.

Hi Jason,

I have seen different 'out here'. My area is rural and thus the schools do not have more than the limited basics. MANY of my neighbors have home schooled as a result and I have to say, I have been VERY impressed with these young people.

One graduated at 16 and now 18 and is my go to for electrician and other skills. He's incredibly ambitious, owns his own truck and large work trailer and all the tools. He hustles big time. All because how he was raised and schooled. He is in no way 'challenged'.

Yes, at one time our public schools did a great job. I am certainly a product of that but they have vastly changed.

I have met other people and their children out here and found the same. They had manners, could think things through, clearly intelligent and versed in many disciplines. They attend all sorts of group and interactive learning sessions. You'd assume these kids are sheltered from socialization but they are not at all.

I have a 20YO 'student' who on occasion comes to my farm to assist and learn skills. He is a product of the third largest school system in my state. He doesn't know how to do anything.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Ann:

I do not doubt that there are great kids that have been home schooled. I can assure you that oftentimes this is not the norm. Parents pull their kids from school and are not prepared to teach them, nor do they have the resources to do so.

In your defense, I will say that I do teach at a small school and will never, ever, teach at a bigger ‘city’ school. There are more problems at these schools.

I’m basing my opinion of years of experience, and working with hundreds of kids. I am fortunate in that I teach technical, skills based courses that could never be taught in 99.9% of the homes. Few people here, if any, have robots, manual and CNC lathes, and other industrial equipment to work with.

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
It has always worked.

Throughout history.

What does NOT work is collective punishment!

Which our modern society seems to prefer!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66923 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
Hi Ann:

I do not doubt that there are great kids that have been home schooled. I can assure you that oftentimes this is not the norm. Parents pull their kids from school and are not prepared to teach them, nor do they have the resources to do so.

In your defense, I will say that I do teach at a small school and will never, ever, teach at a bigger ‘city’ school. There are more problems at these schools.

I’m basing my opinion of years of experience, and working with hundreds of kids. I am fortunate in that I teach technical, skills based courses that could never be taught in 99.9% of the homes. Few people here, if any, have robots, manual and CNC lathes, and other industrial equipment to work with.

Jason, it sounds like you are a top educator and have a good school system. I think we all know this isn't something all children get a chance to learn from. I appreciate your dedication too as teachers are often under appreciated.

In states that do have a large home school presence it seems like those doing it have it organized very well. I have yet to meet the under served as you mention out here. For that I am glad.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The male of any species will try to establish dominance. It's natural and can't be eliminated by rules of a supposed civilized society.

I went to strict, Catholic schools, but we had our share of fights. That was a healthy thing. Bullies were put in their place and even when someone lost, the bully was put in his place and hesitated to push it the next time. Sometimes it resulted in injuries. I was involved in a fight that landed both of us in the emergency room with broken bones. We wound up friends.

But by allowing that, no one felt the need to involve a knife or a gun and we didn't have school shootings back then. The Brothers were pretty good at looking the other way to schoolboy fights, but someone who was out of line could get into trouble. When you punish all participants in a fight, you change the dynamic because the bully generally doesn't care if he gets in trouble, but the weaker child does. So he doesn't fight back and just bottles it up. Then you get school shootings. I'd rather see some fist fights.

It was a simpler time, healthier and better.

Posts: 9998 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
The male of any species will try to establish dominance. It's natural and can't be eliminated by rules of a supposed civilized society.

I went to strict, Catholic schools, but we had our share of fights. That was a healthy thing. Bullies were put in their place and even when someone lost, the bully was put in his place and hesitated to push it the next time. Sometimes it resulted in injuries. I was involved in a fight that landed both of us in the emergency room with broken bones. We wound up friends.

But by allowing that, no one felt the need to involve a knife or a gun and we didn't have school shootings back then. The Brothers were pretty good at looking the other way to schoolboy fights, but someone who was out of line could get into trouble. When you punish all participants in a fight, you change the dynamic because the bully generally doesn't care if he gets in trouble, but the weaker child does. So he doesn't fight back and just bottles it up. Then you get school shootings. I'd rather see some fist fights.

It was a simpler time, healthier and better.

Very true.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote