New
Find
Notify
Tools

Likin' this just fine Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
So I am in Alamogordo, N.M., for a couple of days looking for a home to buy, and what do I find in the beer aisle at the locally owned grocery store but dear old Pinedrops IPA from the Deschutes Brewing Company back home in Bend, Oregon. What's not to like about having a green chile cheeseburger and sipping an Oregon craft brew whilst taking in the glory of the Sacramento Mountains?

hilbily

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16396 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Enjoy

Just Sit back and . . . ENJOY!

Don't forget it is acceptable to enjoy red after Labor Day.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4231 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
So I am in Alamogordo, N.M., for a couple of days looking for a home to buy, and what do I find in the beer aisle at the locally owned grocery store but dear old Pinedrops IPA from the Deschutes Brewing Company back home in Bend, Oregon. What's not to like about having a green chile cheeseburger and sipping an Oregon craft brew whilst taking in the glory of the Sacramento Mountains?

hilbily

Mighty Fine!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
¡Salud! beer

Posts: 2934 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
It gets better. I found my great-great grandmother's grave here this morning, and those of great aunts and uncles. Also found my great-great grandma's obit in the Feb. 7, 1918, issue of the weekly Otero County News on microfilm at the Alamo library.
The headline was "GRIM REAPER CLAIMS ANOTHER OF THE PIONEERS OF THIS SECTION OF NEW MEXICO." It goes on to mention that "Coming at the time she did (1884) to the wilds of New Mexico and with a large family of young children, it required a woman of steel nerve to raise them safely and to avoid the troubles of frontier life."
When her husband, a Mexican War vet, died suddenly in Kimble County in 1883, she drove a herd of cattle here with her kids. I suspect she did so on the advice of her friends, the Lee family of Buffalo Gap, and young Oliver Lee, who would leave a mark on this country that has not been forgotten.
I need to step up to be worthy of this kind of pluck. I feel unworthy. DO NOT forget your history, friends.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16396 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have found where you are supposed to be.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I need to step up to be worthy of this kind of pluck. I feel unworthy. DO NOT forget your history, friends.

You've watched "True Grit" tooo many times.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my above humour was not meant in any way to denigrate the toughness of your ancetors. Pioneer women were tough, they had to be.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There have been many times when I wished I was sitting in the shadow of the Sacramentos. Spent a lot of years skiing and hunting mule deer & turkey in those mountains.

My first wife was from Alamogordo. That's the only bad memory.

I agree with chc. Sounds like you've come "home".

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I've been getting that "home" feeling as well. Had that burger and a good shake at the Hi-D-Ho drive-in, serving Alamo since 1952. It was one of those iconic, locally owned small-town burger joints that makes you feel like you've never left the place.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
Her's too. Smiler

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you're happy Bill.As Phil Harris used to sing,"+ that's what I like about the south".

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote